Pci-e SSD on x58 mobo

Soldato
Hello

So, I've just been given a ocz rvd3x2 fhpx4 480g pci-e SSD

i open up my case to whack it in as you do and realised that my mobo (Asus rampage extreme 2) has a pci-e sound card but no built in sound.

So my question is, if i take the sound card out will the sad work (never had one before) i know i could test by taking it out, but i would rather not mess about with it until i buy a sound card.

Cheers

Soldato
scrap that, its a different board lol

I found the mobo but its on a competitor site so cannot link

is the PCIE SSD for the long pci slots or the small ones? as it seems like the SSD should go in to the first white slot below the first PCIE slot

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Think you have a typo in the middle so I'm not sure if i don't get you or my lack of knowledge?

Can i put a ssd in a GPU port or do you mean a lower pci-e slot?

Been a while since i did any messing with computers but i googled my board and looking at the pictures I'll drop my GPU to a lower slot so that it uncovers another pci-e slot.

I used to be right into PC's this board is older tech than what I've had but with a x5650 at 4.1ghz it's still a beast

Soldato
I did edit my post so not sure if you saw it before I did the edit.

So if you do what you said and drop the gpu you should free the space for the SSD, I don't think you will be able to use it as a OS ssd because the X58 mobos cant boot from them ( as far as I know, I maybe wrong) but you can use it as a games drive or storage

Soldato
Plug it into the spare GPU slot (the blue one the GPU isn't in, can swap the card if you like for better airflow to the GPU), install Windows on it (may need driver from OCZ site to get Windows to see it during install), good to go :)

I don't think you will be able to use it as a OS ssd because the X58 mobos cant boot from them
X58 can't boot from NVMe drives as they require a UEFI type BIOS, but any computer can boot from an expansion card, that's how we connected HDDs before motherboard manufacturers started integrating the IDE controllers (it's still how SCSI/SAS drives are connected on most servers/workstations).

Soldato
OP
Plug it into the spare GPU slot (the blue one the GPU isn't in, can swap the card if you like for better airflow to the GPU), install Windows on it (may need driver from OCZ site to get Windows to see it during install), good to go :)

X58 can't boot from NVMe drives as they require a UEFI type BIOS, but any computer can boot from an expansion card, that's how we connected HDDs before motherboard manufacturers started integrating the IDE controllers (it's still how SCSI/SAS drives are connected on most servers/workstations).

I'll give it a go tomorrow. Got a day off work. I'll we well happy if it works as a OS drive. 480gb is plenty for what i need.

Soldato
OP
Couldn't wait so I've just plugged it in.

Can find it in bios but not in windows. It will boot up with the previous install of windows as well.

For some reason Windows just won't find it so i cant install a fresh copy of windows on it :(

Any ideas?

Soldato
what speeds are you getting on the SSD? could be tempted to get one as im using sata 2 ports on my x58 mobo as the sata 3 marvel controller is crap.

Soldato
My X58 has the Intel and Marvel controllers. Just use the Intel one? I doubt you'll notice the drop from SATA 3 to SATA 2.

I am using the sata 2 ones, getting a read and write of 276mb.

I have the Marvel ones disabled as not in use and was wondering if the PCI SSD got any better speeds as from what i read online the PCI slot is a x 1 slot so the speeds may not be any better.

Soldato
I am using the sata 2 ones, getting a read and write of 276mb.

I have the Marvel ones disabled as not in use and was wondering if the PCI SSD got any better speeds as from what i read online the PCI slot is a x 1 slot so the speeds may not be any better.

In benchmarks, sure. But in gaming? When I watched a video comparing SSD versus PCI-E basically it's within 1 second between each other. Apart from Battlefield 1.

Back
Top Bottom