• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking for a 4770k delid tool and some advice

Associate
Hey all,

I fancy delidding my CPU.

i hear you can buy moulded tools online rather than hacking away at it with a razor blade or putting it in a vice - i dont have a vice and don't want to use a razor blade.

anyone done this and have some advice/links on where to buy one ? (i dont think OCUK sell them?)

Associate
OP
Thanks mate, so once i've delid the 4770k, what paste do i need once it's been delid? i only have an EVO 212 but i think if i can reduce temps by ~10C there will be less CPU fan noise.

Soldato
ebay also have them, more the 3D printed ones, the one from OCuk looks much better quality.

I delidded my Haswell before de-lid tools were available, razor blade and hammer style, yes there's risk involved, but isn't there with everything, just note that if you are planning on using any metal based TIM like liquid metal ultra or AS5 etc then be very careful as there are components right next to the core / die, you don't want to get any on those, I covered mine with some of my Mrs clear nail varnish to protect them, don't expect higher clocks, but do expect way way lower temps.

Soldato
What was the temps you got post delidding ?

thanks for the advice re : liquids.

Overclocked to 4.4ghz, I was in the early 90's before de-lidding.

After de-lidding I was mid 60's and using liquid metal ultra, and believe me, you only need a tiny bit, just to barely cover the core, also make sure you remove all of that black rubbish that intel use to hold the lid down, rubbing alcohol and a cloth did this for me.

Once i'd finished and tested that everything was fine, I actually glued my lid back down with a very tiny amount of epoxy in each corner of the lid.

Associate
OP
Overclocked to 4.4ghz, I was in the early 90's before de-lidding.

After de-lidding I was mid 60's and using liquid metal ultra, and believe me, you only need a tiny bit, just to barely cover the core, also make sure you remove all of that black rubbish that intel use to hold the lid down, rubbing alcohol and a cloth did this for me.

Once i'd finished and tested that everything was fine, I actually glued my lid back down with a very tiny amount of epoxy in each corner of the lid.

Thanks for the advice man :)

Now i just need to find a willing OCUK member to lend me their tool :p £25 is a lot.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice man :)

Now i just need to find a willing OCUK member to lend me their tool :p £25 is a lot.

you can buy a cheap one off ebay for about £13 but you need a vice. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CPU-delid...911873?hash=item3adc775781:g:DsEAAOSwzgBYzkLN

In the 2nd picture on there, you can see the components next to the die I was talking about, just cover with a shed load of nail varnish, it dries within 10 mins, then add another couple of layers to build it up, it dries like a water proof resin, just don't get any on the core.

Associate
OP
you can buy a cheap one off ebay for about £13 but you need a vice. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CPU-delid...911873?hash=item3adc775781:g:DsEAAOSwzgBYzkLN

In the 2nd picture on there, you can see the components next to the die I was talking about, just cover with a shed load of nail varnish, it dries within 10 mins, then add another couple of layers to build it up, it dries like a water proof resin, just don't get any on the core.

screenshot_189.png
<-- that ?

This guy used a rubber mallett on the skylake version of that moud off ebay, do you reakon that will work ? lol

Soldato
yes to those components.

and yeah that rubber hammer thing will probably work, you see how he did his first one where he clamped the IHS into a vice and then hit the PCB with a block of wood and a hammer, yup, that's how I did mine, only I didn't let the PCB going flying off like he did, I freed it up a little first by cutting the black gunk in the corners with a razor blade first, it meant I didn't have to hit it so hard with the wood and hammer when I moved to a vice, built a wall out of soft towels to catch the PCB, also I noticed he didn't remove the black gunk when he put the CPU back into the socket, you need to do this, that's part of the reason for the high temps, they used too much so it holds the IHS too high above the core, see how he only literally used a spot of liquid pro and then spread it around, that's all you need.

Associate
OP
yes i watched his first delid video, i've been subb'd to him for years. yeah i also noticed he didnt remove the old glue that intel used, crazy aussie doesnt care man, both feet in eyes closed :)

£25 for this delidder, £9-12 for the liquid metal :S i might as well buy a noctua d15 and me done with it ffs... cost is adding up.

Soldato
yes i watched his first delid video, i've been subb'd to him for years. yeah i also noticed he didnt remove the old glue that intel used, crazy aussie doesnt care man, both feet in eyes closed :)

£25 for this delidder, £9-12 for the liquid metal :S i might as well buy a noctua d15 and me done with it ffs... cost is adding up.

yeah the cost soon adds up, I had the liquid ultra anyway, and de-lidding was free for me, just a lot more risky the way I did it, believe me, I read of plenty of people who didn't have the luck I did and killed there CPU's.

Back
Top Bottom