*** Zelda: Breath of the Wild ***

Caporegime
Also. I ran out of arrows for shooting the Ogre. By that point he was on about 10% hp so I did the only thing I could and kite him with bombs.

I love how you can approach every situation differently. The sense of achievement when you do something neat or chugging elixirs to climb unknown peaks is just wonderful.

Its got a sense of adventure I've not at in any other open world game. And I've played all the big ones.

It has that "just 5 more mins" feeling all the time.

What's round that corner? Let me just get this chest. I'll just glide down here. Just make my way into the village first.

Soldato
My Gf bought me the official game guide. I've not really used it but once I've completed it I'll try and get every item etc.

The guide is lovely quality though. And it's been handy for helping me cook the right items with what I've got.

Soldato
I have not found that either, right by the Stable...I've tried 3 times looking for it...

Yep, that's the one. I've ran all around that area and non the wiser!

It has that "just 5 more mins" feeling all the time.

What's round that corner? Let me just get this chest. I'll just glide down here. Just make my way into the village first.

I feel exactly the same. It's the reason I've decided to not play any tonight as I know it'll be early hours of the morning within a few 'minutes'

Caporegime
I have not found that either, right by the Stable...I've tried 3 times looking for it...

I stumbled upon this one :D

I'm definitely going to need a guide at a certain point though!

Yeah I have been looking out for those but I'll be a bit more vigilant. Not a bad place to be. hearty durian everywhere!

What I don't understand is how did Nintendo nail this game so well on a first try for an open world? I'm sure other games will be looking at BoTW as a 'How to open world' but still miss the mark spectacularly

It's as if the devs have access to the internet, and listened the dreams of many RPG/Zelda fans! Seriously, this game is close to perfection is unreal. How they've managed a game to this scaled without any bugs is pretty incredible. OK, there is some annoyances. Like the slowdown in the Lost Woods, which is really bad. Or that I can't store weapons, but I can't complain about that if Devs didn't intend you to store them.

Last edited:
Associate
Whilst impressed with it so far and epic credit to them for producing such a good game on a handheld device I'm not sure it's a 10/10 for me.

Oh for sure, it's by no means perfect but it must be doing something right. For the past 2 weeks, this game by itself has been consuming most of my free time and I can't put it down yet. I did find that yesterday I had to put everything on hold while I ran around trying to increase my inventory space, having to stop and figure out what to throw away is not fun. Jim Sterling made a video on why the weapon durability system is nonsense, but he did also forget to mention how the inventory limitations made things a lot worse. He had a rather controversial review where he gave it 7 out of 10. Fair enough if that's what he thinks, but the nasty part is fans of the game reacting to it as if he were a criminal of some sort.

Anyhows, I just got to the Master Sword yesterday, in my quest for more inventory space and decided not to pick it up yet. I have a bad feeling about the way the Master Sword will work in this game... if they do what I think they are going to do, then I'd totally understand why some people really wouldn't like this game. There's also been no mention of items like the Hero's Bow, it sounds like those sorts of iconic Zelda items don't exist in this game.

This game has been a rollercloaster for sure, but once again, if it's kept my attention this long, then it must be good for something. Back when I first got it, I was worried that I'd be bored of it by now, but that is yet to happen. My Deluxe Guide arrives in a couple weeks time, when I'll likely have the game finished as far as I can. I don't know how people would manage to find all 1k Korok seeds without the likes of it lol.

Soldato

It's as if the devs have access to the internet, and listened the dreams of many RPG/Zelda fans! Seriously, this game is close to perfection is unreal. How they've managed a game to this scaled without any bugs is pretty incredible. OK, there is some annoyances. Like the slowdown in the Lost Woods, which is really bad. Or that I can't store weapons, but I can't complain about that if Devs didn't intend you to store them.

I haven't tried it but i did read that you can store weapons - if you buy a house!

Man of Honour

You can store weapons.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I like the fact that almost every weapon in the game breaks. Honestly, you don't tend to fight that much in the game unless you like killing pointless mobs and the game forces you to be more creative with how you kill things. If you want to whack bokoblins with your really strong sword you can but its a waste and will break. I loved Witcher 3 but when you got skilled up enough and you had good enough weapons you would just run in to a mob and spam a few attacks and that was it. Everything else was so ineffectual that it was pointless to do anything else.

One of the things that really annoys me in a lot of games is that you get an amazing weapon and within 2 hours its totally underpowered even though it was amazing before and the buffs on it were great. When you place too much focus on the weapons in a game and not on the actual gameplay you end up with grindfests. People looking for the best weapons to the exclusion of playing the actual game.

Yes there were plenty of times I wish I had 20 weapon slots but thats only because I was being precious about the ones I had (most of which I didn't use in case I broke them). If I look at every other game with weapons and inventory its full of nice weapons that I never use. I have used so many weapons in zelda and its a really good aspect of the game in my opinion.

Caporegime
I quite like that the weapons degrade fairly quickly as well, means the combat never feels stale as you're using different weapons all the time. Obviously that changes a little bit with the Master Sword but even that can't be used continuously.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Early in the game I came down from the regeneration chamber and tried to play the game like any other of its type. Charge in, hit the bad guys and take their loot. I died about 4 times before it worked. It made me better at combat but mainly it made me look for better ways of killing enemies. I got crap loot from them and broke my weapons. That kind of sets the tone for the whole game. Exploration over pointless killing of mobs for XP which is par for this sort of open world game usually.

I increased my stamina over hearts early in the game until I wanted to get the mast sword because stamina helps you explore and I never felt like extra hearts was that important in a game that doesn't prioritise tanking in fights.

Soldato
I increased my stamina over hearts early in the game until I wanted to get the mast sword because stamina helps you explore and I never felt like extra hearts was that important in a game that doesn't prioritise tanking in fights.

And actually, just going for a sleep in a water bed or eating the right meal gives you a load of yellow hearts. I think getting past the 1st Divine Beast and the bonus for beating it helps, or stocking up on fairies. You die to big baddies in one hit even with 10 or so hearts in most cases anyway. Stamina could be easily underrated.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Stamina is vital. I spent a lot of my time in this game climbing and stamina is important unless you want to be eating half way up a cliff the whole time. Little tip if people don't know. If you jump on a cliff you use your stamina really quickly. If you wait until your stamina is literally about to run out and do a jump you actually go twice the distance of a normal jump which can quite often get you to the top/next ledge.

Soldato
7 shrines left, have put down markers for 4 of them so the last 3 might take a while! Going to head for the Gorons next and take down the last DB.

Took a trip to the castle and got some nice loot :) it did make me reminisce about the big dungeons of old, even though there weren't really any puzzles.

Tip for climbing in rain: climb for about 1.5 seconds then jump then repeat, you slide back but less than just climbing or just jumping.

Soldato
I've only done 37 shrines. Keep getting distracted. Still only 2 DB down. Finding Koroks everywhere while just walking around. I doubt if I can be arsed to try and find all of them though.

Soldato
My Gf bought me the official game guide. I've not really used it but once I've completed it I'll try and get every item etc.

The guide is lovely quality though. And it's been handy for helping me cook the right items with what I've got.

Just ordered that for myself, think the last time I bought a game guide was for Twilight Princess.

Caporegime
What do people recommend spending the seeds on early on, all on weapons or?

Is there a way to repair weapons early on?

No, but they are everywhere so it's not a problem. Practically every foe you beat leaves behind a weapon. The problem is not enough slots than too many. You will get better and better weapons all the time, so don't worry about it breaking. Saying that, do work your way to the Master Sword, because that doesn't break but needs 10 mins to regenerate, in which time you use your other weapons for a change.

Soldato
My biggest problem with inventory slots was doing a Major Test of Strength shrine really early on. I've had 3 weapons I haven't wanted to use taking up space for about 20+ hours :p.

Back
Top Bottom