Google Pixel and Pixel XL

Man of Honour
Hows the speaker and screen in comparison? (I know the screen will look far better but is the 0.2" decrease in size noticeable?)

Speakers are better not that I used them much so it's not really an issue for me.

The screen is so much better, despite having reasonably big hands, the slightly smaller screen is heaven - and the resolution is perfect.

Associate
Got a guy willing to swap a 128gb pixel with the dream headset for my s7.

I'm an S7 Edge owner but I'd be very tempted to do that. Proper google phones always seem more polished in the software department. Only thing I'd miss is theming but there's always custom ROMs for that sort of thing.

Soldato
Android 7.1.2 B2 went up yesterday. I downloaded it this morning but haven't really noticed anything. Pixel C owners are in for a treat though, their launcher got a nice overhaul.

Associate
Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a 32 GB Pixel XL which I am truly loving. However, I'm kind of regretting not buying the 128GB now. Hopefully you guys can help me with the following.

I have been transfering video footage from a micro sd card to the Pixel XL using a Kiwibird Type C memory card reader but this is proving painfully slow at about 4MB/s. So I then connected my micro sd card reader to a Sandisk MicroMate card reader, put this into the computer I bought from Overclockers many years ago (so is neither USB 3.0 or Type C), transfered the video footage from the sd card to my hard drive, then, using the cable that came with the Pixel XL, transfered the video footage to my Pixel XL.

Whilst this did increase the speed transfer I am hoping some of you can offer a solution to further gains without having to buy a new computer. What other solutions are available to me? I was wondering whether there were external hard drives or external SSDs that would decrease the transfer times. Or maybe the Sandisk MicroMate I have is outdated (it was first available in 2007) and there are quicker versions available now? Would lower cost Chromebooks have fast enough transfer rates? What would you guys recommend in this situation? How are those without a fairly new computer getting decent transfer rates?

Finally, once I have managed to get my footage onto the Pixel XL, and I can see the 2 little circular arrows rotating in Google Photos, letting me know the footage is being backed up, how can I find out what the back-up transfer rate is? This also seems to take a long time even though the wifi I have is 30MB/s + normally. Does Google throttle uploading?

Thanks in advance

Flyer01

Soldato
@Flyer01 do you actually need to have the video files on the handset? If not, then why not just install Google Drive on your PC and drag/drop the video files into the Drive folder. This way, your files will be backed up via your home network and will also be available on your Pixel via Google Drive app.

Associate
@Flyer01 do you actually need to have the video files on the handset? If not, then why not just install Google Drive on your PC and drag/drop the video files into the Drive folder. This way, your files will be backed up via your home network and will also be available on your Pixel via Google Drive app.

I'm taking advantage of the fact that footage uploaded from the Pixel doesn't count towards the storage limit. I would quickly use up my 1TB of storage using your method.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I've been eyeing these up on Ebay seeing as they are out of stock everywhere else, I'm looking for a 128GB black XL.

I'm on EE and they seen to be either unlocked or locked to EE, but I would prefer an unlocked one.

Good or bad idea!?

Associate
That's not how it works. It's footage taken with the Pixel that is unlimited storage, not footage taken with other devices and uploaded via Pixel.

Yes, I know that's what Google says.

But I also know what the First Rule of Fight Club is, and that not following it would result in Fight Club being closed down ;)

Associate
I have no idea what's going on now. All seems very odd though. Have you checked if it's counting to your limit? The meta data will of course tell Google it wasn't filmed on a Pixel.

Hi Andy,

I've uploaded a LOT of footage, and quota only reduced by the small amount uploaded from other devices.

I bought the Pixel XL firstly for recording my kids but with a secondary purpose of hopefully being able to upload other video footage quota free. I'd read an article online that mentioned someone else experiencing this anomaly, so thought I'd try my luck.

Do you happen to know of any solution to my micro sd card>Pixel XL transfer rate problem?

Flyer01

Back
Top Bottom