• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
OSX is derived from FreeBSD, a Unix variant. Not Linux (a Unix-like OS) :p

Windows isn't mainstream on phones anyhow :p So yeah, PC, of course :)

*nix is a generic term for Unix like - I couldn't remember off the top of my head which flavour/what exactly it grew out of.

Associate
Linux will never be a mainstream alternative to Windows, because of the nature of the beast. With nobody in absolute control, and apparently very few people interested in the end-user experience, Linux will always be that "other" OS most people have never even heard of, let alone used. Heck, even here most of us will only have heard of it, rather than used it.

Probably for gaming yes... It is unlikely to overtake Windows. However most here will have "used" a Linux machine, that could be an android phone / chromebook ... Even Linux servers providing large scale web pages and databases.

A lot of people underplay where the Linux kernel / operating systems are used and the advantages they have (mainly security and easy scaling).

Soldato
So, nice to meet you '{0x1002, 0x687f, PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_ANY_ID, 0, 0, CHIP_VEGA10}'.

0x687f? Nice nickname, it rolls off the tongue, I like it !

Caporegime
Probably for gaming yes... It is unlikely to overtake Windows. However most here will have "used" a Linux machine, that could be an android phone / chromebook ... Even Linux servers providing large scale web pages and databases.

A lot of people underplay where the Linux kernel / operating systems are used and the advantages they have (mainly security and easy scaling).
I'm not anti Linux, by any means. I know it crops up in lots of embedded devices, routers being a good example, and thin client boxes/VDIs.

It's also got a really strong share of the server market, for good reasons.

But a Linux desktop for end-users is a totally different proposition. Even with the controversy surrounding Windows 10, Linux has failed to make any kind of inroads, and is unlikely to ever gain any significant home user marketshare. Nobody walks into PC World and asks for a Linux box. The vast majority of PC buyers end up with Windows, and will continue to do so.

Let's face it Linux on the desktop is going nowhere fast, despite the claims that "Linux is ready for prime time". It certainly wasn't ready when I spent some time with various distros a while back. The number of "How To" articles which demanded you work with the command shell to fix problems/ configure settings was utterly incompatible with being home-user friendly. End users don't want to be typing commands into a command shell, or manually editing config files. I can say that with absolute certainty.

Permabanned
With nothing Vega to talk about I thought we could reminisce about what Radeons given us up till now with the help of yesterdays 10 Years of AMD Video Cards BENCHMARKED! video.

My first cards were Nvidia ones and my first AMD/ATI was a 1gb 5570, Since then I've had a 5770, 6770, GTX560ti, 7850, 7850 crossfire, 7950, GTX770, 7850, GTX780, 265, 290x and Fury pro, There was the odd Nvidia card during that time but since that first 5570 I've definitely leaned towards AMD, so how do they do today?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
With nothing Vega to talk about I thought we could reminisce about what Radeons given us up till now with the help of yesterdays 10 Years of AMD Video Cards BENCHMARKED! video.

My first cards were Nvidia ones and my first AMD/ATI was a 1gb 5570, Since then I've had a 5770, 6770, GTX560ti, 7850, 7850 crossfire, 7950, GTX770, 7850, GTX780, 265, 290x and Fury pro, There was the odd Nvidia card during that time but since that first 5570 I've definitely leaned towards AMD, so how do they do today?

Nice video. I have owned more than half the GPU's in that round-up at one point or another :D

Permabanned
Nice video. I have owned more than half the GPU's in that round-up at one point or another :D

I would've liked to have owned half the cards on the list but back then I wouldn't of even considered paying the amounts of money they wanted for the high end cards hence the mid range models on my list, I blame my current need for speed on my spending too much time hanging around the OCUK forums with you guy's. :D

That said I'm looking forward to adding Vega to the list.

Soldato
I have the 4870 from that test, for old games a lot of old tech is fine enough. Its new games with big textures it hurts most on. I've ended up using what should have been my backup card (I gave it away at one point) from new almost
Wasn't really intending to say that I expect to be able to get another x90 card for £199.99. Just saying that I usually wait for a deal! :) I will end up getting a 490/590 or whatever it ends up being. Hopefully £300 or so as you say.
I usually wait too, Im doing something off beat this time which is saving the money buy in bitcoin. The reasoning being, our Sterling is a wreck and its not looking good for much of a recovery (hence me saying 200 is now 300 cost ie. 400 is now 600 etc) and these are import cards priced in dollars and bitcoin is priced in dollars. Really for it not to appear ridiculously expensive (to me) I'm going to need some kind of concurrence between dollar, bitcoin, vega coming out for me to jump from a stupidly old card to a brand new tech. Otherwise I'll wuss out and get that 580, doubt I'll wait for the 2nd tier vega card whatever that is

The 580 wont be anything new for us, it'll be like a nv9800gt (ditto what linus says 290 vs 390) I imagine its >5% unless somehow they overclock better, maybe its costing less to run. Just my guess

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I would've liked to have owned half the cards on the list but back then I wouldn't of even considered paying the amounts of money they wanted for the high end cards hence the mid range models on my list, I blame my current need for speed on my spending too much time hanging around the OCUK forums with you guy's. :D

That said I'm looking forward to adding Vega to the list.

My list of desktop GPU's. May have missed a few, but from the top of my head:

RIVA TNT
GeForce4 MX440

Radeon 9700 Pro
GeForce 7900 GT
GeForce 8800 GTS

Radeon 4870
Radeon 5770
Radeon 5850
Radeon 6970
Radeon 7870
Radeon 7950

GeForce 670
Radeon 7970
Radeon 290
Radeon 295x2

GeForce 1070
Radeon RX Vega (soon) :D

Soldato
My list of desktop GPU's. May have missed a few, but from the top of my head:

Going through my old email receipts and boy oh boy have I paid a lot for NVIDIA cards, especially the 8800 GTX, and Titan X.

S3 Savage 4
GeForce 4Ti 4800 SE
GeForce 6600GT
GeForce 7950GX2

Radeon 2900 GT x2
GeForce 8800 GTX (RMA'd for coil whine and got the 8800 Ultra as replacement from BFG)
GeForce 9600GT x2
Radeon 4870X2
Radeon 6670

GeForce 470
GeForce 580
GeForce 680
GeForce 660
GeForce 980
GeForce Titan X
GeForce 980Ti x2

Radeon 390X
Radeon Fury X

I'll certainly be getting a Vega card to see what it's like first hand, and because I have a lovely FreeSync Monitor.

Soldato
Haha my list is:

Unknown (dads work computer but was AMD)
Radeon 4850
Radeon 7950

GeForce 780 6GB (7 weeks)
GeForce 980 4GB (Step up)

I have used and played with more prior, during and after. These are just what were in my gaming rigs that I built for me. I don't upgrade often as can be seen I guess. I like to make my systems last 4 years on average.

My i7 920 actually lasted 6 years till jumping to the 4790K. All I did with my system between the 4850 and 7950 was upgrade the graphics card. I was still using 12GB RAM back then so really I could say my main computer lasted 6 years and this one will be coming up to 4-5 years when I upgrade it.

And I will hopefully be going Ryzen + Vega but we shall have to see really on how it goes next year. But here is to hoping.

Man of Honour
Previous to a Riva TNT2 I had a few different ATI Rage cards - the last time I've had ATI/AMD in any main PC though some of my laptops around 2007ish had Radeon Mobility (not my choice I was given them for work, etc.).

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Previous to a Riva TNT2 I had a few different ATI Rage cards - the last time I've had ATI/AMD in any main PC though some of my laptops around 2007ish had Radeon Mobility (not my choice I was given them for work, etc.).
I do not stick to one or the other. People over the years have banged on about drivers but I hardly ever had any issues with either camp. I just go with which ever offers best price for performance. That is why I have had more AMD cards.

If Vega ends up having poor price for performance, I may even end up getting a cheap 1080 if I see one from members market until Volta comes. Could easily stick with my 290 until Volta however, not in a rush as not many games I want to play. If I get Vega on launch it will be more to do with wanting to get my hands new tech (1080Ti is not exciting from that point of view for me) :p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ive had quite a few cards from both, but my last Nvidia card was the 8800 GT 512mb, but going back with the 1080 Ti, just waiting on the Zotac AMP Extremes coming, as look great :D

raw

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom