• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Holy crap I just got my shipping email from OcUK! :D

Goods Shipped:
Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 1700X 3.80GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
Asrock X370 Taichi AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Guess the Taichi's finally came in :D I'm just hoping it goes to the right address as I have changed it from work to home and back to work again when they were supposed to come in on Friday a few weeks ago...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Holy crap I just got my shipping email from OcUK! :D

Goods Shipped:
Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 1700X 3.80GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
Asrock X370 Taichi AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Guess the Taichi's finally came in :D I'm just hoping it goes to the right address as I have changed it from work to home and back to work again when they were supposed to come in on Friday a few weeks ago...

Looking forward to seeing what the Taichi can do - that was the baord I've had my eye on.

Associate
Looking forward to seeing what the Taichi can do - that was the baord I've had my eye on.

I'll post on here once it's all up and running, I'm hoping to get to 4Ghz, I have 3200mhz Corsair RAM but its 2x16Gb so it will be dual rank and might struggle getting it to 3200mhz for now.

I've done some benchmarks of my 2500k @ 4.5Ghz to compare against :)

Soldato
Hmm, may be a weaker IMC then as you said. Though to be honest, you'll probably have better luck with future BIOS revisions.
I'm running 3200 14,15,15,34,1T with Corsair Hynix at the moment on 1001. Previous BIOS i couldn't get higher than 2666.

That's Silent Scone in need of a new rig then.

Associate
I honestly don't see it happening for the average Joe. I think we'll be limited to 3400-3600MHz tops.

That seems fine though, seeing as how much Ryzen gains from RAM speed.

Topping out at 3600 this gen, and then maybe they can push towards ~4200 for Zen+ (and/or improve Zen to be less reliant on RAM speed).

Associate
Whats everyones general consensus on ryzen? I upgraded from a 3770k @ 4.4GHZ with 2133 DDR3 CL11 memory and got my ryzen 1700 running at 3.9GHZ with 3200 DDR4 CL14 memory. Im pretty underwhelmed to be honest, its slower to boot to windows and generally feels slower when doing day to day stuff like opening a web site, unzipping something etc. I knew the gaming wasn't going to be as good but thought every day running stuff would be slightly faster and im finding it quite the opposite....

Soldato
Whats everyones general consensus on ryzen? I upgraded from a 3770k @ 4.4GHZ with 2133 DDR3 CL11 memory and got my ryzen 1700 running at 3.9GHZ with 3200 DDR4 CL14 memory. Im pretty underwhelmed to be honest, its slower to boot to windows and generally feels slower when doing day to day stuff like opening a web site, unzipping something etc. I knew the gaming wasn't going to be as good but thought every day running stuff would be slightly faster and im finding it quite the opposite....

One would think the difference in "everyday" stuff would be imperceivable. Is the storage the same?

Soldato

Coming from 3770k 4.7ghz I found that day to day stuff is the same, games are slightly slower, video encoding is miles faster, although boot time seems to be slower.

Is it a fresh install of windows? UEFI Ultra fast boot setting? Did you install the AMD chipset driver?

Back
Top Bottom