BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Associate
Yeah this screen kicks ass, anyone experiencing problems with flickering I still think it comes down to the AMD driver, I've had it happen but only when I exited a full-screen application with CTRL+ALT+DELETE or something. AMD VEGA videocard due very soon the 2 rumours I heard where its set to be 40% faster than a Fury X and 8GB of HBM2 I think the source for these rumours was a good one so I'd let you think they hold a high chance of seeing light!

Associate
Well my monitor is still going strong ,had it from first release , I'm still hoping and waiting for AMD next big Gpu so i can make use of the freesync feature , I'm still using my 980 ti sli and as we all know sli has gone down the drain this last couple of years .. Come on AMD i need to try freesync and you don't have the gpu power yet i need :)

Associate
Still loving this monitor. How are people getting on with it?
Had mine since xmas 2015 and it's been excellent. Don't remember having any issues with it and it just performs as it should, very reliable.

I hope Benq brings out a VA gaming panel with Freesync 2 in the future though. The quantum dot panel I have next to it highlights the drawbacks of TN monitors.

Soldato
Guys. Can anyone remember what duration of warranty this one came with? Looking at my account and my orders, I purchased the 11th March 2015, but the order there doesn't show anything but the price and order number etc.

I seem to have an issue with mine :(

just been on BenQ website, looks like all the old links for raising an RMA or service request have been removed, can't find it anywhere. This was the old link to get things off when we needed the new firmware to be flashed http://benq.co.uk/support/contact/index.cfm?region=3&query=3

Looks like a 3 year warranty so fingers crossed, will give them a ring tomorrow I guess as I cant find anything on BenQ for raising a ticket.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys. Can anyone remember what duration of warranty this one came with? Looking at my account and my orders, I purchased the 11th March 2015, but the order there doesn't show anything but the price and order number etc.

just been on BenQ website, looks like all the old links for raising an RMA or service request have been removed, can't find it anywhere. This was the old link to get things off when we needed the new firmware to be flashed http://benq.co.uk/support/contact/index.cfm?region=3&query=3

Looks like a 3 year warranty so fingers crossed, will give them a ring tomorrow I guess as I cant find anything on BenQ for raising a ticket.

Wasn't monitor issue after all so no need to RMA in the end anyway.

Soldato

Warranty is two years from the day of invoice.
Mine passed that date last month, and I am on 3rd replacement -_-

Crossing fingers not to break again until we have some Freesync 2 monitor out

Associate
Hi all,
I've had this monitor from release date and has been great , even sending back for firmware update was quick and painless , however last week whilst the monitor was powered on i pulled it towards me on my desk as i had purchased a new pc chair and the monitor was to far away ,when i pulled it forwards the power lead that plugs in the back made a crackling sound (it must have been loose) and the monitor lost signal on the disportport and the screen turned blue (no input), ive tried a new cable but it wont recognize any of the inputs but for the HDMI 2.0 connection (working), i guess it must have power surged or something when i pulled it towards me and shorted out damaging the connections .

I'm just letting you guys know to make sure if your moving the monitor around on your desk to make sure that the power lead is pushed right in the back of the monitor first or turn it of altogether .

I can't seem to find a way to fix this and the warranty has expired ,l suppose i lucky that the HDMI 2.0 connection is still working .

PS,
if anyone has any info on how i could get the displayport working again i would really appreciate it .

Man of Honour
That shouldn't have damaged it really - I've had that sparking from poor connections loads of times over the years when moving stuff without any noticeable damage happening.

Have you tried leaving the monitor disconnected entirely for a while? also try messing about with the colour profiles and/or using RGB colour settings instead of a profile - my XL2420 after after a few years one day started going all green on the display port for some reason with most of the preset colour profiles but worked fine with custom settings.

Associate
That shouldn't have damaged it really - I've had that sparking from poor connections loads of times over the years when moving stuff without any noticeable damage happening.

Have you tried leaving the monitor disconnected entirely for a while? also try messing about with the colour profiles and/or using RGB colour settings instead of a profile - my XL2420 after after a few years one day started going all green on the display port for some reason with most of the preset colour profiles but worked fine with custom settings.

thanks for the tip and will give ago :)

This actually happened a couple of weeks ago to be honest and at the time i didn't try the HDMI 2.0 connection and just thought i had totally broken the monitor , in the meantime i purchased a new monitor , it was only two days ago just before putting the BenQ monitor in the bin for good i decided to give it another try as i had my new monitor (Sammy Va 1080p curved ) and by chance i used a HDMI cable and plugged it into the HDMI 2.0 Connection instead and the screen came on and working to my surprise , i did retry the Displayport con and the other HDMI con but it still wouldn't work , just keep saying no cable attached or no signal , i did try the drivers for the screen and restoring to factory defaults , but still no joy , one thing i haven't tried yet is plugging the displayport and HDMI cables in together, power off and then powering back on then removing the HDMI cable ,i've just read that somewhere on another forum but doubtful it make any difference but will try tomorrow .
I was just wondering if using things like Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) could somehow get the displayport working or somehow reflashing the firmware , im not a advanced user when it come to monitors so any tips on anything to try are very welcome indeed .
thanks

Associate
UPDATE ,
So today i've tried plugging the displayport and HDMI cables in together, powering off then powering back on then removing the HDMI cable and bugger me the displayport is working and and the monitor is functioning again ,OMG i cant believe it.
im so happy right now i could do a dance. So now i have have two monitors my Benq 1440p and the Samsung C27FG70 27 inch 1080p ,so i have the best of both worlds , i think i'm going to buy a dual monitor stand now ...... i just wish i had tried this before i bought the sammy as a replacement.

Thank god i tried the Benq again before throwing it the bin as i wasn't going too ....

Associate
Associate
Nvidia writes in their known issues:

"Black screen on BenQ ZOWIE XL2730 when refresh rate set to 144Hz -> Recommend setting refresh rate to 120Hz due to off spec timing in EDID."

Benq also had a kind of maintenance tool online for their monitors, but they pulled it back.

Maybe interesting for the guys at blurbusters who are trying to fetch and patch firmwares.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/9krr96/what_is_benq_qservice_and_how_does_it_affect_the/

The XL2730Z and XL2730 have different firmware.
From what I've seen, the XL2730Z had the 100hz strobe timing bug and vertical total tweaks did NOT work to reduce strobe crosstalk (at 120hz).
The XL2730 (i'm guessing) had updated scaler where VT tweaks did work (like used in the XL2735, XL2546, XL2540, XL2740), but if this EDID bug did exist, it did not exist in the XL2730Z.
Suggest using ToastyX CRU and using a "LCD Reduced" custom timing for 2560x1440@144hz and see if that fixes the problem.

Back
Top Bottom