EVGA 1000 P2 PSU Crackling - This Can't be Normal... Surely?!

Soldato
Hi Guys,

So long story short my current PSU wasn't up to the job with the recent GPU purchases I made, so I got a decent deal on a brand new EVGA SuperNova 1000 P2 PSU. This unit from what I understand it is a Super Flower OEM so I assumed I was on fairly safe ground with the purchase.

The unit itself is well built, solid and stable but it does make some fairly odd noises under load. It sounds like crackling or arcing, also (to my ears) similar to how a hot car engine sounds when it cools down; that sort of metal contracting sound. Anyways I sent a recording (below) to EVGA and they stated that it shouldn't making that noise and to get it replaced. I did and the new unit while less frequently does make the same noise.

Strangely it appears to be load dependent as with one GPU its fine, no noises and with two its still stable but makes the noise recorded below:

Soundcloud (might need to turn up the volume a bit) at the 0:09 mark where the load starts: https://soundcloud.com/user-9248004...der-load-crackling-arcing-coil-whine-buzz-etc

So from what I can see:

A. It could mean both units have issues; could be a batch problem considering the serial numbers are not that far apart (22 numbers in the serial number sequence).
B. The problem is with the SF platform (unlikely as I've not see any reports on it).
C. The problem is elsewhere in my system (a possibility as I've got coil whine from other parts in the system).
D. The electric supply in my area / my house is fully of ripple / noise that the PSU has to sort out causing the noise.
E. The unit needs to break itself in and the noise will eventually stop.
F. I'm going insane!

So I'm left with a few options:

1. Live with it, despite the fact I can hear it over the fans unless I have headphones on hoping it will go away.
2. Replace it with another model by another manufacturer based on a different OEM platform which might be quite a bit more expensive.
3. Seek professional help...

Any input from some of the more experienced members on what they think it is?

Thanks!

Mark

Man of Honour
Your link doesn't work for me although if it's as bad as you say it is not only should it not be doing it but I wouldn't live with it. Crackling noises in a pc are never good. Can't say I have ever heard of it before either. Maybe it is a faulty batch.

Soldato
OP
Try now, seems it was set to private. Yeah that is my thinking as well.

I've gone and spent yet more money on a Seasonic Prime PSU, so with any luck that one will be fine and I can just put this whole annoying (if not critical) issue to bed.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'm going to send them both back today hopefully. I just find it very strange that two PSUs can produce the same issue, so I'm hopeful it is a faulty batch and the issue isn't somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom