Never used a mechanical keyboard before

Associate
Heya all

Recently got overclockers to build me a gaming rig, I've been out of the pc scene for many years and have never used a mechanical keyboard in my life. I've got no mouse either.

I'll mostly be gaming, but I'm by no means a hardcore gamer. I'll be surfing the Internet also to.

What keyboard and mouse would you suggest please?. My budget is open.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
To be honest, if you have a brick and mortar store nearby with some boards on display go have a visit. This being your first time, make sure what you get is what you want as far as switch type goes- linear, tactile non-clicky, tactile clicky etc.

Decide if you want a numpad or not, ditto backlighting (single color, RGB, software based etc) or not etc as well before purchasing anything.

Associate
As vsg said, an actual store would be your best bet, your second best would be a switch sampler, they can be had a for a few quid online. There was a thread where someone was letting people borrow theirs but that seems to have ended.

Soldato
Recently did a similar thread, luckily I found a few to mess with and I liked the cherry mx red switches best. So bought a qpad mk80 going to try that over next few weeks and see how I get on when it's used daily

Soldato
I personally find it to be a gimmick. I have mx red in my keyboard which are fine, not too noisy etc. But i definitely preferred the low profile keys on my old lycosa keyboard.

Associate
I don't agree that it's a gimmick, but i do think that mechs have just become a popular "status" item. People seem to buy them just to have one now, rather than seeking them out for the reason that they are inherently better to type on, and more often than not more robust.

As others have said, you need to try a number of different boards to ascertain which is right for you, there are a multitude of different switches but they won't necessarily feel the same between boards - they'll feel very similar but there will be little differences between each dependent on switch mounting, stabilisers and the general construction of the board. If you can, get to a shop and try as many as you can before you pull the trigger and spend your money, and make sure you're buying one because you want one, not to lengthen your e-peen.

Soldato
Mechs mostly improve typing consistency. Membrane keyboards tend to get mushy, inconsistent as they age.

There is a middle ground, scissor switch (Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, and I think Apple keyboards?). I've had a LIK for 5 years, really like the typing, not very good for gaming (key ghosting, board flexing). Despite looking very fragile (scissor switches have a few tiny plastic parts under each key), it's been solid. There are other technologies as well that try to emulate Cherry.

Mech key travel is higher. One of the main thing I found more difficult to adjust to. Noise is up too, keyboards tend to be heavier, more expensive.

Quality varies, which kind of offset the high initial cost negatively. Old mechs (we're talking 1980 / 1990) used to be basically indestructible. However, I'd still recommend a good Cherry MX mech (Red, Brown or Blue) if you have the budget.

Associate
I can't remember what switch I went for but I bought the ducky one tkl.

It does feel more responsive. But I make some many typos using it it's unreal. Keys are a lot more sensitive and activate through the whole movement of the key not just at the bottom or half way down. That's probly why I make so many typos.

Associate
Sounds about right, it takes a bit of time to get used to the difference in key travel but just as with everyone who made the switch, heh, over to mechs you will undoubtedly get used to it in time.

Associate
Good to know, I was thinking of picking up a set but I'm not really affecting anyone with my key presses at the moment :cool:

Saying that though, i do run o-rings on all of my mechs. My most recent one, WASD code with clears, was pretty meh when i got it but with o-rings and some double-shot caps it's actually now my favourite! Was on the precipice of sending it back initially, since i was so disappointed with it out of the box, but it was a gift and as i said it's completely changed with the additions. Still a bit perturbed about having to do that on what is my most expensive mech!

Soldato
I recently bought a K70 Rapidfire (Cherry MX Speed or silver) and am thoroughly impressed. It's not too clicky but obviously more so than a normal membrane keyboard.

I game with it a fair bit and I would say it is a more positive feel and am very pleased I went for this compared to reds, particularly given the 1.2mm actuation point (silver) vs. 2mm for reds.

If I were to use the keyboard in the same room as someone trying to sleep (for example) then I could imagine it would be rather annoying but other than that, it's a great keyboard.

I touch type and it's very comfortable for that as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom