Windows 10

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Apple bundles the updates and rolls them out in a number edition 12.10.1/12.10.2 etc windows has a patch for every exploit that installs individually and they don't force you to get the update or even better when it's convenient to you.

Apples way doesn't inconvenience users, Microsofts way does.

Windows does use update rollups.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/business/...oving-to-windows-10s-cumulative-update-model/

I don't agree with making updates optional, but they should be more flexible.

Man of Honour
Rolled up updates are generally a better approach but I still think MS should still split security and feature updates. I don't even mind that much if it automatically applies critical security updates on start up aslong as that takes up minimal time - having the OS launch at will into a potentially lengthy major feature update is bad, wrong and should be a big no no and pushing forced driver updates is just retarded - not even going to try and be diplomatic about that one whoever is involved in that decision should be taken out the back and shot.

Man of Honour
Does that happen often when your not on the insider builds?

Almost always seems to happen at the most inconvenient moment :( I was formerly running several systems/VMs on Windows 10 (some of which were insider builds) so it becomes a bit more of an annoyance than if you are just running a single desktop PC - having reverted several to Windows 7 I certainly don't miss it.

Thing is though people tend to have different approaches to their PC use - some people leave them going 24x7 and have a fairly predictable period of time when the PC is idle overnight and don't care if its rebooted to install an update (assuming it completes without problems) by the morning while others might not use their PC much during the week - turn it on at the weekend when they have a bit of time spare to do some gaming or something and then because it has been off since it prepared the last update kicks in on starting up wasting time they'd rather not be spending looking at the update screen and so on and so forth.

I've both a new Windows 10 tablet (not on insider) and an older Windows 8 tablet that the Windows 10 one was supposed to replace and I inevitably end up going back to the 8 one as it seems like every other time I turn to the Windows 10 one to do something quickly or to use when on the train or whatever yup updates kick in or it starts preparing for the next update chugging CPU and disc IO making it practically unusable for quite awhile :( also because my main mobile 4G connection doesn't show to the OS as wireless if its directly tethered its difficult to manage bandwidth - I've had Windows 10 pull down several gigs before when I wasn't paying attention :( (there is actually a registry tweak to work around that restriction but at some point it got reset during an update I think). I could just rip out the update service entirely or mess around with policies but that makes it awkward staying on top of security updates, etc. in a somewhat handy manual fashion and stuff like tablets especially security is of some concern.

I'm still chuckling over the time I tried to shutdown my tablet on low battery to preserve what was left only to be greeted with a screen saying "apply updates please don't turn off your PC" or whatever which continued until the battery died - and their solution was to add a menu option for shutting down without applying pending updates like that solves it outside of specific cases... retards... absolute retards.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Grrr was having an issue with something on my Windows 10 tablet - while trying to fix it went to my main PC to look up some details - came back to:

"Preparing to configure Windows"
"Don't turn off your computer"

Its now been sitting on that for a couple of hours so I've had to connect it to the mains :| plus it was set to metered on the current wifi connection (to avoid updates) and I don't think I've had it on tethering since the last lot of updates so not sure WTF happened there.

Was trying to avoid wholesale ripping out the update service but its going to have to go.

Man of Honour
I've set every setting to do with updates in group policy and the registry and not had a update for months. It's been bliss.

Trying to avoid doing that as the tablet is more exposed to potential security issues than my desktops, etc. which are always behind a firewall and so on so I try to keep it somewhat uptodate - but without proper manual management of updates it looks like I've no choice :(

On a semi related note was watching Linus's video of making a "Windows 9.5" last night looked quite interesting.

Soldato
Trying to avoid doing that as the tablet is more exposed to potential security issues than my desktops, etc. which are always behind a firewall and so on so I try to keep it somewhat uptodate - but without proper manual management of updates it looks like I've no choice :(

I didn't take it lightly but the automatic updates was driving me mad, especially when I had virtual machines running. The final straw was the automatic turning on of the spy settings.

Man of Honour
Just downloaded this months updates and now they have installed a older driver for my Soundblaster Z sound card. That's with the supposed group policy fix activated to prevent them updating drivers. It would seem that there is no way to stop them messing about with drivers. I do like Windows 10 but I really hate the fact that we have no control over what the damn thing installs.

Soldato
Mine seems to have pre-loaded about 4Gb of data yesterday, and now I have 'Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it?' in the Windows Update screen.

Seems like it's imminent :)

Soldato
Just downloaded this months updates and now they have installed a older driver for my Soundblaster Z sound card. That's with the supposed group policy fix activated to prevent them updating drivers. It would seem that there is no way to stop them messing about with drivers. I do like Windows 10 but I really hate the fact that we have no control over what the damn thing installs.

Absolutely this... My other half's machine kept blue-screening thanks to a fault in the network adapter drivers which Windows 10 was insisting on switching back to, despite me changing the setting and forcibly installing the correct drivers from the board manufacturer's site... total pain...

Soldato
Annoyingly some programs seem to be taking an age to load since the latest update. One of my own creations takes 30 seconds to load compared to near instant previous. Can't find out why or whats changed yet :(.

Man of Honour
OP
aprill 11 is the rumoured release date for creators update.
Settings menu is so much better in that, so much more has been moved over from control panel, more options, better laid out etc.
Edge is massively improved, but not sure its quite ready yet, but maybe they;ve improved it in the last month as came off insider preview probably 6 weeks ago.
Finding edge so much faster than chrome, but its just immature.

Man of Honour
Absolutely this... My other half's machine kept blue-screening thanks to a fault in the network adapter drivers which Windows 10 was insisting on switching back to, despite me changing the setting and forcibly installing the correct drivers from the board manufacturer's site... total pain...

That setting does nothing to stop driver updates - it changed awhile ago. Keep trying to highlight this in the other thread this stuff gets changed and even GPE stuff isn't any guarantee as pastymuncher found out.

Soldato
That setting does nothing to stop driver updates - it changed awhile ago. Keep trying to highlight this in the other thread this stuff gets changed and even GPE stuff isn't any guarantee as pastymuncher found out.

Microsoft knows best though right? I think in the end we fixed it via some other means (which I wish I'd written down or could remember)... it was either something in the registry or some permissions on a directory somewhere or other

Back
Top Bottom