What is the Perfect Monitor

Caporegime
I like the ideas posted above. No one would really care if the monitor were 2cm thick if the black levels were like the heart of my ex wife and it had 2ms response times along with local dimming and much better backlight and corner bleed.

It's like mobile phones. No one cares if it's 6mm thick or 10mm thick, they just want a long battery life. If it means not having to charge your phone at least once during the day (although my new S7 is AWESOME in that regard) I'd happily put up with an extra 2mm for a better battery.

Min

Min

Associate
Daniel San, In an Ideal world (for my use case) :

38" 21:9 3840x1600 OLED screen
Fast refresh rate (100HZ+ but I guess if it's OLED that takes care of itself)
Display Port 1.4 / HDMI 2.0
Ideally both G-sync and Free-sync support :) But that probably won't happen so I will settle for either G-sync or proper adaptation of Freesync with decent range (especially in the low end).
Design wise, thin bezels, metal chassis or at least matte plastic instead of glossy and decent glare coating (nothing too rough)
Usable quality speakers (Don't need bluetooth connectivity!)
Programmable hot keys for the OSD for quick switching between frequently used functions.

Willing to pay 2,000

But in the mean time, I am just waiting for 38UC99 to come in stock! And AMD Vega to launch so that I can pair this with that and sell my GTX 1080 so that I can make use of Freesync.

Minsok (You know where I am, give me a 38UC99 dammit, lol)

Associate
And a decent warranty on it. I don't mind a two year on a £200 monitor but if I'm being asked to spend 1k why is the warranty not longer like on almost all decent TVs?

I am going to expand on this :)

depth of monitor is not important at all, i'm not trying to mount it flush to a wall, it's on a desk with about 15cm of space behind it. Feel free to use most of this gap if it means i get a better image on the screen. Especially if it means introducing FALD or similar should you go the IPS route.

40" 4k wide aspect curved oled, with freesync or g-sync. i don't actually care which tech assuming Vega lives up to the hype. Give it a hardware defined UW res 'inside' this. then i have the best of both worlds.

IPS is also fine as long as it's true HDR10 with 1000nits - not some sort of fake HDR - I hate this stuff it's almost like false advertising, it even puts me off as i start wondering what other truths have been bent...

then imagine ninja will game on this thing - make input lag as low as humanly possible.

But the real big thing is the lottery/warranty situation. It's really putting me off buying anything even vaguely expensive and then you read horror stories from just about every manufacturer. We are a bit blessed having you here to try to help when you can but not everyone is that lucky.

Soldato
Top notch quality control, though it seems LG have been making some progress. No quibble warranty around 5 years as mentioned. Get quality and service down first. People don't care about spec's when they only apply to an oval in the middle of the screen.

Curved monitors look weird.
No one cares how thin monitors are.
Monitors don't need lighting.
2880x1800 and 2560x1600 with freesync would sell like hot cakes.

Perfect monitor... 5000x3000 40-45" 100Hz with TV level image quality. 60-100Hz Freesync would be great, but I'd take 90-100Hz before any type of VVR.

Last edited:
Soldato
I love these ideal monitor threads. Not techie enough to go into the more nitty-gritty stuff and am glad that others who are capable have done so but here's my wishlist anyway.

Ultrawide 34" or 38"
3440x1440, 3840x1600, 5120x2160 seem like nice resolutions to focus on or develop, especially with single GPUs now capable of running them (or nearly able).
100Hz refresh rate minimum. Even if you don't game, it's very helpful for older eyes just reading text alone (when combined with other features).
Attachable (optional) soundbars of varying quality, with matching aesthetics, so buyers can choose a budget, medium or high-end soundbar, according to their wallet/need. This way you don't waste any money on inbuilt speakers and can bring down the cost of the monitor a bit. But you provide the option, and can even make a bit more profit selling additional kit, I suppose.
TN/IPS/VA variants (nobody will ever agree on what's better, response time v image quality etc, until Oled maybe).
Flicker Free/no Pulse Width Modulation.
Every monitor that is built from now on should have a Profile Change button, to quickly change between at least three saved profiles (reading, gaming, movies for example). One click - change profile from 1 to 2. Another click - change profile from 2 to 3. And so on. Easy, no messing about. By all means add room for more profiles if feasible.
Much better quality control, plus solid 5 year warranty minimum and good support.

Wishful thinking - develop a more affordable tech to do the job that Freesync and Gsync do, and incorporate it into the monitor. Freesync already pretty affordable, just needs to work with Nvidia card too, and have a better range than it does right now.

Caporegime
Seems the general consensus is for UW, 32-34", better quality control and panel uniformity with no one really caring about panel thickness if it means better image quality. OLED and HDR would be nice but not a deal breaker it seems.

Better, longer warranty with doorstep swap out would also be nice.

Associate
My perfect monitor would be a 2560 x 1440 G-Sync IPS monitor running at 144hz that DIDNT have dead pixels. Oh and a stand that didnt look like it was an afterthought (sorry Acer but your red stand is retarded). More-so my perfecft monitor would be understated in terms of looks, make it look and feel like a professional would be happy using it.

Associate
Someone above mentioned getting rid of the VGA socket. I know it's old, but in my ideal world, please don't.

For me, my Dell u2913WM is almost perfect. My problem is I want what you can't have!!

SO, in an ideal world I would have a monitor that can sync down to 15.75Khz @ 50Hz with a decent hardware upscale whilst also supporting the modern world up to and including Thunderbolt for Macs. Like others, I don't care for skinny depth, although I do like the skinny bezels. It's kind of irrelevant having an ultra skinny bezel if it just has 10mm of black around the edge of the screen inside of the bezel though (which the Dell does). I've never yet heard any decent internal speakers so don't bother with them.

Why do I want VGA and the lower sync rate? Retro computing of course! My Amiga has a scan doubler so I'm able to use the "side-by-side" feature of my Dell to have the Amiga on one side and my MacBook Air on the other. It's a really great feature, but it would be so much better if it could handle it without the expensive scan doubler though. It would be nice if one of them didn't have a bright blue border all around it too I suppose!

Like I say, not going to happen.

For my office, I currently have 3 x Dell U2414H connected to the MacBook Air through a Dell D3100 dock but it is a nightmare and flakey as anything. So I'd like the Iiyama 34" Super Wide to be about the £300 to £350 price point then I'd probably scrap these U2414H's (all £600 worth) and replace them with the 34" Super Wide. Maybe keep 1 of the 24's back as a 2nd screen?

And finally, I'd very much like to get rid of the quality lottery. Every monitor bought from OC UK had to go back for one reason or another.

Associate
A nice-to-have (since we're talking perfect) would be a light sensor to automatically reduce the brightness when it's dark. I think Benq may do something like this? The number of times I turn up the brightness on a sunny day, then get up at night to use the PC (I'm a light sleeper / semi-insomniac) and burn my eyes out, while randomly stabbing at the brightness controls...

Soldato
I want glass fronted screens, and good contrast and colour like the old Dimondtron CRT's.

I actually run some old AG Neovo monitors with glass that do the above, on paper the specs are old but I still prefer them.

Associate
34"+ 3440x1440
IPS/VA quantum dot with local dimming
1800 - 1500R curve for immersion
Low blue light eye protection
Display port 1.4 @ 120 - 144hz
Gsync (new HDR version) with ULMB
Well QC'd, not half hearted to what's commercially acceptable
Low input lag
Forget the speakers no one uses them anyway
Decent navigation for OSD
Minimal screen framing bezels
Bias lighting for nighttime use
Fine grain matte screen coating
Premium, guaranteed defect free screen testing option (extra service cost option direct from LG?)
Back up your product with a good warranty to show you have confidence in it
Braided cabling (rig theme matching options or just robust)
To get the desired refresh rate you need a DP connection are the others justified (some trimming).
Sturdy stand with good range, rotate not required. Cable routing.

Best

Wulf

Back
Top Bottom