• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
I can do 4 GHz with 1.3075 V but not all chips are equal. Anything below 1.35 V is fine for everyday use.

Try setting your Uncore to 12x or 13x - it only needs to be 1.5x your DRAM multiplier with Westmere-EP (unlike Bloomfield which required it to be at least 2x). Also try lowering QPI/VTT voltage a bit if it still isn't stable. I've had instability from that being too high before.

Soldato
I can do 4 GHz with 1.3075 V but not all chips are equal. Anything below 1.35 V is fine for everyday use.

Try setting your Uncore to 12x or 13x - it only needs to be 1.5x your DRAM multiplier with Westmere-EP (unlike Bloomfield which required it to be at least 2x). Also try lowering QPI/VTT voltage a bit if it still isn't stable. I've had instability from that being too high before.

You're right about the silicone lottery, it's just been a long time since I OC'd anything on x58 and I was wondering if I was making any school boy errors. I'll see what comes of the current settings and tweak accordingly.

Associate
OP
I've just picked up a 5670 and am currently stress testing it. I thought it was stable at 4GHz (1.312v on desktop) after passing 8 hours in Real Bench, but it crashed an hour into the x264 stress test. It's currently at 1.328v on desktop and the stress testing is going. I thought they generally managed 4GHz at lower volts. Anyone have any ideas?

My settings are:
Multi: 20x
BCLK: 200
QPI: x36
Uncore: x16
XMP: Disabled
SPD: 8:0 (6x2GB @ 1200Mhz, I'll tweak this later when I find a stable OC)
vcore: 1.31v (1.328v under load, desktop)
LLC: level 2
QPI/VTT: 1.315v
IOH and ICH: 1.2v
CPU PLL: 1.880v
DRAM voltage: 1.64v

Current max core temp 67c, by this evening it'll most likely be 73c.

1.31 is quite low for me. I'm at 1.35 for 4ghz. Can push 4.4ghz but need 1.38.

I don't really give much though into higher volts, these chips are knocking on for 7 years old and end of life anyway. It's fair game to thrash them.

Soldato

I don't really give much though into higher volts, these chips are knocking on for 7 years old and end of life anyway. It's fair game to thrash them.

That's a fair point. What I want to do is find a rock solid 4GHz, then see about getting that RAM speed up and aiming for 4.2 - 4.4.

Associate

The surprising thing about these chips is how relevant they still are, even 7 years later. I dont have a massive workload orientated use for my PC, but for everyday stuff like Handbrake encoding, downloads, unpacking archives and gaming via a GTX 980Ti and I really see no need to upgrade.

Associate
The surprising thing about these chips is how relevant they still are, even 7 years later. I dont have a massive workload orientated use for my PC, but for everyday stuff like Handbrake encoding, downloads, unpacking archives and gaming via a GTX 980Ti and I really see no need to upgrade.

The only urge to upgrade I have at the minute is to make a smaller pc. Performance is still solid on this system .

Associate
Ha, I'd like a quieter PC - don't care if it's just as big!

Just water cool it ;)

I'm exactly the same and I've got both my CPU and GPU in a loop with 2 x 240mm rads with Gentle Typhoons running at 5V. It's so quiet can literally hear the pump over the fans.

Soldato
That's the problem, not sure if I like the sound of pumps plus all the extra water related hassle. My current case has 3 fans, plus 2 on the CPU and 2 on the GPU and it's still pretty quiet. The loudest noise either comes from the GPU when stressed or otherwise from the case itself slightly vibrating (pushing down on the top of the case drops the noise level noticeably). I could just replace the case fans with nice quiet ones (always liked Notcua for example) but I reckon the case itself is the limiting factor right now. When I bought it I never thought to look up which one would be quietest!

Soldato
what sort of upgrade for ryzen 5 1600 be for gaming over a 5650 at 4.2 ?
is it time to upgrade ?
You'd lose a bit of clock speed but gain a load of IPC and newer instruction sets. Remember to factor in fast RAM and a good enough motherboard to run that RAM into the cost. I'd go 3200 MHz or higher.

Soldato
I'm probably wrong...or not, but I still don't see any need to upgrade from this platform..
I saw two videos recently comparing Skylake to older CPUs with an RX 480. One was using a stock i5-750, which showed clear FPS differences in a lot of games but that comparison is rather useless. The other was comparing an i7-920 equivalent (X3450 Lynnfield) at stock clocks (and 3.6 GHz but his overclock was clearly dodgy so I'm ignoring those results) to Skylake using an RX 480. In most games there was only a small difference in average frame rates. Minimums were noticeably lower though but if you're running at 4+ GHz and with the extra two cores of Westmere-EP, I imagine the gap closes significantly, particularly for games using more than 4 threads.

The videos are here, would welcome any other ones with similar comparisons:

Associate
OMG, I started fiddling with my OC settings and accidentally overwrote my stable 4Ghz CMOS profile.
Best I can get now after hours of trying is 3.4Ghz with occasional crashes.
20x200 wasn't at all possible with my board/CPU wouldn't get as far as Windows. This is a Giagabyte EX58 UD5.
If my AM4 board I ordered finally arrives I can throw this lot out the window

Soldato
OMG, I started fiddling with my OC settings and accidentally overwrote my stable 4Ghz CMOS profile.
20x200 wasn't at all possible with my board/CPU wouldn't get as far as Windows. This is a Giagabyte EX58 UD5.
Do you not write down your settings lol? When trying to find stable OCs I write it all down so I can see what's stable and what isn't.

Soldato
Do you not write down your settings lol? When trying to find stable OCs I write it all down so I can see what's stable and what isn't.

I also never write mine down :( i always think that i should but never get around to it. Bonus side of it its always fun to redo and see what you get :)

Associate

Check if your Ram is on XMP or Default
I know by setting the Ram manually can fix that issue.

Soldato
was wondering if someone here could help, I know everyone here are after x5650 6core xeons but I wanted to know
if there are low low power 2 core or 4 core xeons that would fit x58 motherboards?

I don't know the platform too well so not sure.

out of curiosity, what is the idle power usage or power usage just surfing/browsing of x5650 CPU? I know these are 95w rep so compared to i920 should be better

appreciate any help .

Back
Top Bottom