Picked up a LG OLED55B6V

Man of Honour
What settings are B6 owners going with? I've borrowed the AV Forums recommended settings and it looked great with the rugby and a film last night, but just wondered if people had had success with any particular recommended settings from anywhere else.

I know every set is slightly different and calibration is the best way etc., but I'm not getting it calibrated as not a videophile, so looking for the next best thing.

I'm on the AV Forums settings and it looks pretty good to me.

Soldato
B6 is great and LG have confirmed it'll be updated for Hybrid Log Gamma.

B7 starts at £4499 for the 65" version! And tests on the new LG OLED screens have revealed that peak brightness has barely changed.

https://www.avforums.com/news/lg-confirm-pricing-for-b7-c7-e7-g7-and-w7-oled-4k-tvs.13470

Certainly not saying the new sets will be worth the price difference and the B6/E6 are going for great prices at the moment, I am looking to get a 65" but am currently deciding between the current model and the new ones. Regarding your comment via brightness, its not entirely accurate AVForums own review https://www.avforums.com/review/lg-65w7-w7-wallpaper-ultra-uhd-4k-hdr-oled-tv-review.13308 shows there is actually a real 25-40% real gain on the most colour accurate HDR mode which for people interested in HDR is a decent step up, better just above black levels which has been a problem plus reduced input lag for gamers.

Again whether its worth another £1500+ to people is entirely up to them but its worth having all the information at hand for people still considering. On top of that the Panasonic and Sony new OLED's are due out within the next month or two which if the Philips OLED (which uses an LG 2016 panel) is anything to go by there are also gains to be made in motion down to the Manufacturer's own processing which LG seems to be lacking in, people are keen on the Sony OLED to see what can be done with motion as they have a history of getting it right. Again just more options that make the decision for most no easier :p but the 2016 models are still likely to be had for a month or so at the same price or lower but we will know a lot more about all the 2017 sets from all manufacturers by then.

Soldato
Interesting comment below on B6 on hotuk
is there any truth, that they could say you have incorrectly used it, when making a warranty claim ?

Oh and make sure you leave it in standbye as the tv runs a screen burn cleaner, if you switch off at the plug at night and get screen burn LG won't repair, it's easy to tell through the service menu how the tv has been powered off ..

Soldato
I very much doubt that would be enforceable. It's not uncommon for people to turn them off at the plug.

You can run the compensation cycle manually too.

Screen burn is not a massive deal anyway the tv dims if the input doesn't change. Just treat it like you would a plasma when it comes to image retention and you'll be fine.

Soldato
I can't deal with the DSE on a 2nd dx902.
What issues does the B6 have? Will the UK receive the gaming lag fix

Well you listed some of them here https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/samsung-65ks8000-or-lg-oled55b6v.18769586/ yourself and still didn't go for either set recommended :p Read this thread for issues or google. Or just buy a TV and be happy as they all have issues especially if you go looking for them. I think even the most reference OLED sets all show banding with certain slides, not visible in real life material but that doesn't matter if you are wanting a 'perfect' TV. There isn't one. Or you could cough up for the extra £1500 and get one of 2017's model's and hope they are perfect, unlike every TV before, ever.. ;)

Soldato
I don't think it's all about nits either btw. OLED can still go eye-wateringly bright if it wants to.

The OLED 55 sets don't really suffer from banding. You get a bit in the 65" versions, but generally only noticeable on dark grey and not in actual content, exception might be films that show dark grey a lot :p

Whatever you get buy it from a reputable vendor with the 5 year warranty.

Soldato
Took the pany back Currys & now have £1749 to put towards another TV.
I asked a lad there about the B6 gaming fix & he knew instantly what I was on about. He said a LG rep was in that day & will probably be at least July before the UK gets the fix.
Now looking at the 55E6 or a safe bet like a 55KS8000 as had enough of exotic TV's. I was happy with the clouding of my old JS8000 lol.

Soldato
Took the pany back Currys & now have £1749 to put towards another TV.
I asked a lad there about the B6 gaming fix & he knew instantly what I was on about. He said a LG rep was in that day & will probably be at least July before the UK gets the fix.
Now looking at the 55E6 or a safe bet like a 55KS8000 as had enough of exotic TV's. I was happy with the clouding of my old JS8000 lol.

Get the B6 the firmware was released today for the uk the lg rep does not have a clue lol.

Soldato
Again whether its worth another £1500+

It is for me. Extra brightness in HDR - the main area OLEDs were lagging behind LED - and uber quick input lag will make this years models absolute gaming beasts! If it was just for movie watching and general use, perhaps not.

A 65B7 will likely be mine at some point this year!

Associate
I was inquiring about the b6 via email which is currently £1999 in richer sounds with a sound bar and the guy offered me the e6 for the same price to clear stock. I might just hold off until the new ones get released to hopefully see a price drop.

Associate
I was inquiring about the b6 via email which is currently £1999 in richer sounds with a sound bar and the guy offered me the e6 for the same price to clear stock. I might just hold off until the new ones get released to hopefully see a price drop.
I would bite his hand off @£1999 for an E6 ,I paid considerably more for mine ,and dont regret it ,best set I've ever had

Associate
What does it do better than a b6? I don't need a sound bar or 3d.
Ive said it before ,the picture on the E6 is better than the B5 ,I owned 2 55" B6 and now has the E6 ,there is also finer calibration controls, the WiFi seems much faster ,the whole package just seems that bit more refined .
The B6 is good ,but if offered an E6 for the same price the E6 is the one to go for

Soldato
Just got back from Currys. B6 is priced at £1999 but they sales guy said he'd sell it for £1800. Still more than it was last month lol.
They would not budge on the price of the E6 at £2199 so I'm waiting if they drop it in the sales at Easter.

Associate
I got B6 for £1500 in Jan - Priced matched by JL with some online retailer. Best purchase I have done in long time. Netflix 4k with Dolby Vision or PS4 Pro HDR <3

Back
Top Bottom