Do many of you walk to work?

Associate
I cycle or run. Wouldn't get me in a car for anything :).

A significant portion of commuting journeys are under 5 miles too, which basically means most people are capable of using active travel. What a pity we're so wed to the ICE.

I am the same. Whilst I waited for a bike component last winter I had to drive for a week, how depressing it was. My car journey is only 4.5miles. Getting into work in a car is quicker than cycling however getting home in the car takes far longer even with my cycle route being longer at 6.25miles. The traffic is awful due to the poor road infrastructure where I work and the amount of cars that are trying to use it. I take a longer route on my bike as it is safer and far more pleasant. The ride in and home is a good way to start and finish the day, at least for me it is :)

Associate
Yep. It's a 4.3 mile journey to work for me and as long as it isn't tanking it down I regularly walk and leave the car at home. It takes me roughly an hour which can be a bind when it comes to home time. Having said that it's nice to have that time to myself.

I need to acquire a bicycle as I'll probably be able to halve that and it takes 25 minutes to get home in the car anyway.

Associate
Hugs, get yourself to being able to average 15mph and you're looking at a cycle time of just over 17mins. It'd likely still be sub 20mins taking into account stopping for traffic lights etc. You'd only have to average a smidge over 10mph on a bike to get you home in 25mins. When you look at it this way you start wondering why use a car at all if you're only going to manage to average 10mph in it!

The way I look at it is I get between 45mins to 55mins exercise a day and lose up to 10mins of my day in doing so compared to driving to and from work. I appreciate my traffic situation may be different to others and I'm not too shabby when it comes to cycling as I've been turning the pedals for many a year now :D My bike and cycle kit has been paid back ten fold in fuel savings alone let alone allowing for tyre wear and other components wearing. The one thing I'd like to change is VED tax, I wish they'd put it onto fuel as my aging Audi's tax is getting a little silly now though I do few miles compared to some but I really cannot justify the spend to get another car for this reason.

Soldato
Walk it, good for fitness, environment, saving money and even mental well-being :).
I walk 1.6 miles each way each day and can do it in less than 20mins (fast pace). Weather is no excuse either - buy a good set of water proofs you can fold/roll up into a rucksack. I use waterproof trousers that can be unzipped down the leg so you don't have to take your shoes off to put them on.

Soldato
I'm fortunate enough to live on the borders of Zone 1 and 2, and purposefully picked an office that suited me and my colleague. It is a 10 minute walk for me north into Bethnal Green, and it was a 10 minute cycle for him from Bow. He's moved south of the river now, but it's still only a 25 minute cycle and he enjoys the exercise.

I really don't enjoy the standard London commute, so have always chosen places close to work - at one point I was ten doors down from my office in Parson's Green! Also, the walk down from Old Street to Monument a few years back was only 20 minutes or so.

Soldato
I walk from the bedroom to the bathroom for ablutions, then downstairs to the kitchen for tea, then back to the bedroom to get dressed then across the hall to my office.

Sure beats the years of commuting into London I've done - losing 3+ hours a day to travelling is toxic.

Pretty much this. But I'm a coffee man

Soldato
when i lived up in yorkshire used to mountain bike from heckmondwike to elland but found a route that was all cycle paths and canal paths about 15 miles there and maybe 11 in the early hours of the morning on main roads.
st breward to launceston now so 35 min drive but used to really enjoy that cycle

Associate
I live in the city centre and could afford to drive everywhere but I actively chose not to. I park my car around a mile from where I live and cycle 99% of places and train when I have to go a bit further.

I live 4 miles to work I either cycle or jog. I was commuting for 5 hours a day around 18 months ago, the thought of having to drive makes me cringe. Cycling is easy, costs me an extra slice of toast each day and is a consistent amount of time. I bring most of my works clothes in on a Monday and leave things like different footware.

Sadly the roads around here are lethal ( Deansgate - Manchester ) and I am basically offroading and the cycling infrastructure is terrible. It is still better and cheaper than the alternatives though.

If you can walk I would definitely recommend so, or simply cycle it will take you under 10 minutes.

Associate
I find it difficult to walk to work, even though it's only about a mile, when you have a V8 sat on the drive

Poor car, does it even get off the auto-choke by the time you get to work? Having a nicer car would be even more incentive for me to use alternative transport for short journeys so as not to cause wear that needn't happen. Maybe I just have too much mechanical sympathy though :D

Soldato
I'd like to cycle but I have to wear a suit and tie at work and there are no shower facilities. Any tips on how to get to work not looking a mess? There's nowhere to store a weeks supply of shirts either.
It's only a three mile journey, but main road the whole way.

Back
Top Bottom