• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato

FMA3?
IIRC, it's a non-issue for 95% of users. Not really seen anybody complaining about this in all the many many threads on tech forums for Ryzen. It's only an issue for very specific apps. It'll get sorted in sure.

I'm using 1800X @4GHz, ASUS CH6, 32GB (4x8Gb) Hynix IC RAM @2666MHz 14cas for normal everyday use with benching, gaming, DAW etc and all is lovely. It's fast, it's quiet, it's cool and it's stable.

Soldato

TLDW for people.

Fascinating really, as since launch people speculated that once the RAM issue is sorted out performance will improve. Especially since the CCX interconnect runs at 50% RAM speed.

Still though, that 1Ghz and IPC advantage of Kayblake has melted away simply because of faster RAM on Ryzen.
That's extremely promising, if when Ryzen R5 launches the majority of motherboards finally support a minimum ram Speed of 2933Mhz and upwards. Anything At or below 2666Mhz really hurts the platform.

I'm extremely excited for the Ryzen R5 line up now. 4c/8t for under $200, clock it to 4Ghz, and get high speed RAM and you have a 7700K at 5Ghz essentially.

RAM and CPU ( plus Wraith cooler) for nearly the same cost as the 7700K.

Those minimums are 0.1% and 1% lows as well. Ryzen coming in with amazing minimums to averages, which means a far smoother gameplay experience.

tvtkbtb.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
TLDW for people.

Fascinating really, as since launch people speculated that once the RAM issue is sorted out performance will improve. Especially since the CCX interconnect runs at 50% RAM speed.

Still though, that 1Ghz and IPC advantage of Kayblake has melted away simply because of faster RAM on Ryzen.
That's extremely promising, if when Ryzen R5 launches the majority of motherboards finally support a minimum ram Speed of 2933Mhz and upwards. Anything At or below 2666Mhz really hurts the platform.

I'm extremely excited for the Ryzen R5 line up now. 4c/8t for under $200, clock it to 4Ghz, and get high speed RAM and you have a 7700K at 5Ghz essentially.

Very good results those, which site was this from?

Soldato
Very good results those, which site was this from?

This youtuber, Mindblank tech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZS2XHcQdqA

Although other places have tested RAM before as well, although it was before we saw speeds averaging 3200MHz+ on many top end motherboards.

Here are some of the older tests.

2133Mhz vs 2933Mhz? Just use the built in Chrome translator to see what the Polish think.
In some cases the old averages are the new minimums.

http://www.purepc.pl/procesory/amd_ryzen_r7_1800x_wplyw_taktowania_pamieci_na_wydajnosc

English Legit Reviews.
15FPS increase at 1080p for using 3200Mhz over 2133Mhz in Deus Ex at 1080p
http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-me...tform-best-memory-kit-amd-ryzen-cpus_192259/4

In Deus Ex: Mankind Divided with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 discrete desktop graphics card installed in the system we saw a jump in performance between DDR4-2133 and DDR4-3200 by an impressive 16%

Associate
FMA3?
IIRC, it's a non-issue for 95% of users. Not really seen anybody complaining about this in all the many many threads on tech forums for Ryzen. It's only an issue for very specific apps. It'll get sorted in sure.
More like over 99.999% of users. This was a specific FMA3 code path in a Haswell+ stress tool. Appears to be an easy microcode fix from AMD so should soon be a non-issue (some BIOS updates already have the fix).
However while totally harmless as that build of that one stress tool is the only thing uses that sequence of instructions it is good that it got found in case some future FMA3 program does the same I guess.

Associate
harney, have you tried playing around with HPET on an off for timings? As that has an impact on timings, that would definitely be a worthwhile investigation for you :)

Thx for the advice will try this ..I am testing further all this have been for a couple of days now..

What i was doing is testing Ryzen out of the box worse case ect at stock for my baseline.. and for me it wipes the floor of all my OC i7's..... moar cores :) even with worse DPC it killing them ...

But the problems i am having now with Ryzen is it does not like lower audio buffers compared to Intel but i am sure it will improve .....

Associate
Read the second section - "AMD confirms problems with Ryzen chips".
http://www.valuewalk.com/2017/03/amd-stock-short-interest-soars-record-high-ryzen-chip-problems/

I can't find the other article but saw something on a financial site about users having issues with their PC freezing/crashing.

THat is a bug that AMD will resolve and TBH its really a non issue for most of us
I can confirm here too all ok with 2 Ryzen builds used mainly for audio production ..a bit of gaming ,browsing ,and admin stuff

I recommend AMD for the price/performance 1700 non x great stock coolers too ...even with out the box with no tweaking runs fine
MSi tomahawk great board or if you want x370 gigabyte gaming 5

Testing mainly in win 7
also used win 10 & Linux all ok

Associate
TLDW for people.

Those minimums are 0.1% and 1% lows as well. Ryzen coming in with amazing minimums to averages, which means a far smoother gameplay experience.

tvtkbtb.jpg

Yes very fascinating them Mins are great ..kind of explains the Ryzen smoothness everybody is stating looking good

Soldato
Yes very fascinating them Mins are great ..kind of explains the Ryzen smoothness everybody is stating looking good

Aye people have been talking about the "smoothness" since launch week; but few places actually bothered to test frametimes or 0.1% and 1% minimums.

Digitalfoundry tested and of course they included their live graphing. The 1800X matches extremely well against the 6900K, bar a few outliers like FC Primal and Tomb Raider where it falls flat on FPS. Even then, great frametime given it's only running 3.2Ghz RAM.

Just look at Crysis 3 though! The 7700K is a stutter fest...

b30c2a68cf9642e9a9ec002aad3616ae.png

Associate
Aye people have been talking about the "smoothness" since launch week; but few places actually bothered to test frametimes or 0.1% and 1% minimums.

Digitalfoundry tested and of course they included their live graphing. The 1800X matches extremely well against the 6900K, bar a few outliers like FC Primal and Tomb Raider where it falls flat on FPS. Even then, great frametime given it's only running 3.2Ghz RAM.

Just look at Crysis 3 though! The 7700K is a stutter fest...

b30c2a68cf9642e9a9ec002aad3616ae.png

Very surprising thx for the info ....that 7700k is not doing good in the above ..
all hail AMD Ryzen smoothness

Does anybody know if this is Samsung or Hynix it comes up as single rank but can not find what ic brand it is without taking off the HS ..

G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GTZ got 4 sticks now

Soldato
Very surprising thx for the info ....that 7700k is not doing good in the above ..
all hail AMD Ryzen smoothness

Does anybody know if this is Samsung or Hynix it comes up as single rank but can not find what ic brand it is without taking off the HS ..

G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GTZ got 4 sticks now
Pretty sure that's Samsung. Have a look on the overclocking.net hero thread. There's a table there with people's ram findings.

Back
Top Bottom