Given up on owning defect free monitor

Associate
So recently i decided to purchase a 21:9 34" screen.

First Screen Acer 34a predator unopened box - the screen had scratchs on bezel and lcd and i returned (i was told was acceptable in store) Not overclockers top bezel was wobbly to hell also , returned. average blb

Second Acer Screen 34a Predator - Wobby top bezel unven , big feint horizontal band on screen , scan lines like you never seen before , horrific blb returned.

Decided at this point to bite the bullet pay a little extra and go with the asus pg348q as it looks to be built better despite being same panel.

First Asus screen Hozitontal band top of screen which flickers scan lines (put up with this) as havent seen a panel without to some varying degree. But the speakers pop even when not in use , returned

Second Asus Screen horizontal band top of screen flickers believe this is normal average blb but noticed today as it was quite sunny the panel behind the screen has a kink in it running from left to right. Looks like a god awfull bad reflection and able to see without any power to the lcd.

So ive put up with scanlines and blb which are deemed normal only to find other faults such as speakers popping or bad construction. What do you have to do to get a decent screen these days as ill be returning my panel again and possibly giving up with what seems like a lottery :/

Soldato
I've just bought a XB271HU... I was already not feeling confident.. Even less so now lol

Hope it's a good one when it arrives :o

Should be I got fine with my XF270HU sure it has a tiny amount of bleed and the model number sticker on the top right bezel isn't level but who cares? Great gaming with it and the only time I notice the bad side is when in very dark scenes and that is only when I look for it.

Man of Honour
For a start don't buy Acer or Asus if you want actual quality control :| not that other brands are hugely better. I've reverted to buying Dell lately seems to be the least bad of an industry that doesn't seem to be being held to any kind of standard.

Soldato
Samsung 245B. Spot on, no dead pixels, good even backlight, no backlight hotspots. Apart from usual TN things like off center horizontal & vertical, so-so colours from 6 bit etc.

J0Y

J0Y

Associate
To be fair, I've had no issues with my current Asus. It had minor backlight bleed to begin with 3 years ago which weirdly, has disappeared over time.

Associate
OP
Appreciate the replys / feedback thanks. I just be mad but I've decided to try another Asus this time from overclockers I should have dealt with them first to be honest, as never had bad service from them unlike the previous store I just dealt with.

I wouldent wish on anyone what I've experienced but at least I know with overclockers if there's a problem they will sort it.

For a start don't buy Acer or Asus if you want actual quality control :| not that other brands are hugely better. I've reverted to buying Dell lately seems to be the least bad of an industry that doesn't seem to be being held to any kind of standard.

Always used to buy dell never had issues but been out of this game for 7+ years as I have been using my kuro for gaming.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't end up doing what most people do i.e. "put up with it", this is exactly why we are now in this position where monitors are laughable for QC issues because people just "put up with it"...

If I where you, I would just keep RMA'ing every single one until you get a good one and if they refuse any more RMA's then use the 14 day CCR law to return it for a full refund.

Associate
OP
Don't end up doing what most people do i.e. "put up with it", this is exactly why we are now in this position where monitors are laughable for QC issues because people just "put up with it"...

If I where you, I would just keep RMA'ing every single one until you get a good one and if they refuse any more RMA's then use the 14 day CCR law to return it for a full refund.

I would love to just keep rma but I don't the have energy for it mentally it's exhausting. I remember before I got my pioneer kuro I went thru around 11 Samsung panels before swearing I'd never touch them again and haven't to this day :)

If this next one has issues other then excessive blb or scan lines it's going back and I give up.

I love my Kuro to be honest and it smashes any PC or TV today for colour reproduction and detail hell it's a 32 bit panel. Just a shame only 60hz gynsc at 100hz is pretty nice.

Soldato
Some of the image quality monitors and customer service excuses I've had has been been as terrible as they are hilarious. I've given up on buying crap products from shops happy to knowingly sell crap...

Associate
OP
well just recieved new monitor , unsure at moment scan lines seem to be more predominant on desktop.

Dang as i was posting this monitor turned itself of and wouldent power back up lol jeez rma`d already :/

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Also echo steering clear of Asus and Acer. Had premiums from both and never been happy with either. The Dell I have is much better all round in terms of quality.

Associate
OP
well good news turns out display port cable was faulty that was supplied with monitor , up and running now. Seen three of these monitors now and they look all the same to me on left side, is it ips glow or blb ?
brightness is set at 27 appreciate feedback please guys :) not sure if to rma if there all roughly the same.

Included pictures

2r6npqh.jpg

2upv4ef.jpg

b4wco9.jpg

jtncdk.jpg

2v0hl5g.jpg

Caporegime
I've had 2 replacements from Benq for my screen and it still has glitches, not to mention the replacements also came with dead pixels, something the original never had. =/

Soldato
I'm eager to replace my Samsung 23A700D with something bigger, but man, it seems every damn monitor I like the look of has some QC issues. I know no panel tech is perfect yet, but while I can accept the inherent limitations of an individual tech, I won't accept sub-par quality, especially at the prices being charged.

Soldato
well good news turns out display port cable was faulty that was supplied with monitor , up and running now. Seen three of these monitors now and they look all the same to me on left side, is it ips glow or blb ?
brightness is set at 27 appreciate feedback please guys :) not sure if to rma if there all roughly the same.

[/SPOILER]

BLB is from the edges and more obviously the left most corners on the X34s/Asus that I've seen. Varies but mine is OK and you can manipulate it by slight pressure it the corners but it's not bad enough for me to mess with the case assembly.

IPS glow is a trait of the LCD substrate where light leaks at a shallow angle across the screen. Will vary between panels (and manufacturers) due to the manufacturing tolerances but the curve isn't helping either.

I have to say your monitor looks pretty normal for the BLB that you see either side of the 16:9 image on the Acer/Asus monitors. They use the same panels I believe so must suffer similar traits.

This is an enhanced comparison of my X34 to my 40" VA 16:9 panel below it's obviously not like that I normal viewing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I suppose I have been lucky in this instance, my AOC 27" monitor came with no dead pixels and little blb..

When it went faulty and the replacement came..same condition, so really pleased at that, but for the money we pay for monitors it should be the case imo...

Associate
OP
BLB is from the edges and more obviously the left most corners on the X34s/Asus that I've seen. Varies but mine is OK and you can manipulate it by slight pressure it the corners but it's not bad enough for me to mess with the case assembly.

IPS glow is a trait of the LCD substrate where light leaks at a shallow angle across the screen. Will vary between panels (and manufacturers) due to the manufacturing tolerances but the curve isn't helping either.

I have to say your monitor looks pretty normal for the BLB that you see either side of the 16:9 image on the Acer/Asus monitors. They use the same panels I believe so must suffer similar traits.

This is an enhanced comparison of my X34 to my 40" VA 16:9 panel below it's obviously not like that I normal viewing.

thanks for all the feedback replys. :)

bimbleuk i looked at your picture thank you , my acer was like that as well which i returned for other reasons. The asus seems slightly better im on now ie less spread in left corners , right corner i dont notice.

Just unsure wether to return and give up i cant imagine getting any better based on what ive seen or feedback ..... in the day the reflection are quite bad , on the evening i contend with this blb glow i find myself raising monitor lower chair etc if i sit back from desk its only noticable on top left corner i even tried adding led lighting to rear of desk , i think out of the 5 screens ive seen they all looked the same on left hand side. The asus were better for this but its still there as you can see.

Ill have to mull it over at the moment its a shame its a great screen but between reflections and blb glow I feel limited with a window on enjoyment on this screen.

Back
Top Bottom