File transfers on home LAN slow

Soldato
Hi,

So I'm looking for some help. I have two PC's, both running Windows 10. They are both on my home Network. They are connected via ethernet cables, and powerline adaptors. so something like this.

Server PC > 1200 Mbps Powerline > 1200 Mbps Powerline > Gigabit Switch > Desktop.

There are various other devices in the network too, but none of it should be using bandwidth at the time of these transfers.

Both PC's have Gigabit NIC's (MSI Z97 Gaming 5, and Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3). And both are running windows 10 Pro.

So I am transferring files from the server to the desktop, and I am only getting speeds of approximately 7-9 MBps. This seems incredibly slow, for what SHOULD be a reasonably fast connection.

I don't really know too much about networking settings, so I am thinking there is some setting somewhere that is configured incorrectly here.

Any ideas? Guides for home network optimisation? Everything I come accross appears to relate specifically to WLAN's, and not really what I'm doing here.

Soldato
the switch should be next to your server.

but performance in the powerline adaptor as well as the server disk performance may be limiting.

does the powerline adaptor have gigabit lan port or 100mbps port? if it is the latter then that's your bottle neck.

Soldato
OP
Should be 1200 Mbps ports as thats the rated speeds of the powerlines.

I can make up a CAT 6 cable capable or doing the run, or, in fact, I believe I have a CAT 5e cable capable, so I will try figuring out what is slowing me down, if it's a component in the loop or not anyway.

Discs being used are normal HDD's, not SSD's. I could transfer the files onto SSD's before starting the transfer, and doing it ffrom SSD to SSD thoguh. But surely a WD RED drive is unlikely to be the bottleneck here?

Don't need the switch at the server side. In fact, I probably no longer need it at the desktop side. But my internet comes into the house beside the desktop, so it goes from router to switch, then out to PC and first powerline.

Soldato
OP
Sure, they aren't particularly quick. But they should still easily be able to saturate a gigabit connection.

Mains may well be the bottleneck. I'll get a chance to test tonight after the kids stop watching Moana on repeat all day.

Soldato
N
Sure, they aren't particularly quick. But they should still easily be able to saturate a gigabit connection.

Mains may well be the bottleneck. I'll get a chance to test tonight after the kids stop watching Moana on repeat all day.

No power line adaptor is going to saturate a gigabit connection.

Man of Honour
Powerline will never be as fast as it says on the box. Just take a look at reviews, even when placed next to each other in a double socket the most you can realistically expect is less than half the theoretical maximum. Add attenuation due to range and house wiring in to the equation, and you'll quickly cut down the throughput to 100mbps.

Soldato
OP
To be honest, I've never done file transfers before through this set-up. I only ever used it for streaming movies throughout the house previously. I only had one PC before, but now I have my Ryzen build, my i7 has been demoted to server duties.

Once my current transfer is finished (Only an hour or so to go), I'll test it PC to PC, then add in the switch, and see if that is the bottleneck.

Soldato
It'll be those powerlines. 9MBps is about 72Mbps which is more than 5% of the advertised speed. That's pretty good for power lines IME. And if they're those ones that advertise one silly speed but have 100Mbps ports then you're doing very well indeed. Rig your cat5 cable up temporarily and watch it achieve 10x that at least.

Soldato
Should be 1200 Mbps ports as thats the rated speeds of the powerlines.
No. powerline adaptors are notorious in overstating their transfer rate. 1200mbps is their theoretical max sync speed and bandwidth. but they can come with 100mbps ports. I think that might be your bottle neck

Soldato
What's to criticise? It's basically a statement of fact.

All anyone has ever disagreed about is your apparent opinion that Powerline adapters should never be used. Most people take a more pragmatic approach.

Soldato
OP
They do have their place. They have been working great for me over the last several years for video streaming.

Now I need some speed though. I see their pitfalls.

Back
Top Bottom