Road Cycling

Caporegime
Pulled the trigger on a Mango Point AR frameset at lunchtime. Post mount disc brakes it is. It'll be summer before I get this built, though! Still need wheels and brakes and a few other nick nacks.

Soldato
I swerved the first chain gang tonight, have a head cold and the rain came on when I left work. Ended up in bed watching Homeland instead, much easier.

I think only 6 guys went round so don't feel too bad.

Man of Honour
OP
Wahoo Elemnt Bolt arrived earlier. Haven't done much more than set up the data fields and install the out front mount as yet but initial impressions are good. Interface is like night and day compared to Garmin - so much better. Only gripe is that the route list (auto-sync from Strava is awesome btw) supports various sorting methods but not alphabetical :confused:

Still, so far, thumbs up. I'll post a proper comparison after a long ride at the end of the week.

Soldato
nice - Once shipped my Canyon order only took 2 days to arrive, you should have it by Wednesday :)

:)

• Abingdon, United Kingdom 29/03/2017 5:10 Out for Delivery
  • 29/03/2017 5:05 Arrival Scan
  • Barking, United Kingdom 29/03/2017 2:36 Departure Scan
  • Barking, United Kingdom 28/03/2017 16:56 Arrival Scan
  • Herne-Boernig, Germany 28/03/2017 6:30 Departure Scan
  • 28/03/2017 5:04 Arrival Scan
  • Frankfurt, Germany 28/03/2017 1:56 Departure Scan
  • Frankfurt, Germany 27/03/2017 17:01 Origin Scan
  • Germany 27/03/2017 3:01 (ET) Order Processed: Ready for UPS

@FrenchTart - drop a suggestion on the Googlegroup and I guarantee it'll be included in the next update :cool:

Soldato
head cold

Above the neck = good to go (providing you can still breathe :p)
Below the neck = hell no

Suffering one of those throat colds that seems to be stuck between my nose and actual throat, had a pretty foggy head on Monday but figured Sunday's ride and inferior recovery was the cause. Still felt sharp enough to ride yesterday evening but got a bit of a disrupted nights sleep.

Feels like it'll be gone tomorrow which is good as I'm getting my legs torn off :eek:

Don
Got all my stuff ready for cycling, about to go out the door and started raining...

Cycled anyway - new GP4S is amazing compared to the Gatorskins (I know I know - should have took your advice sooner!) - can't wait to change the rear as well.

Soldato
BB is creaking like a mofo on the aeroad. Annoying. I just did a short commute in this morning, rather than a longer trip. Going to head home after lunch and take the Mrs. out on the bikes... will try and keep it flat, not sure her hip can take too much bazookas, first time we've ridden road bikes out together, so let's see how that goes!

Soldato
Pulled the trigger on a Mango Point AR frameset at lunchtime. Post mount disc brakes it is. It'll be summer before I get this built, though! Still need wheels and brakes and a few other nick nacks.
Good choice, let me know what you think of it when it arrives, very interested in how you get on as you're doing what I'd previously thought/planned to do before buying the Diverge ;)
Stuff arrived today so tyre changed ready for tomorrow hopefully. Must be getting better at it as only took me 15 minutes this time and confident I could do it at the roadside now.
Good going, I'm not much quicker than that myself (and probably change one on average every 3-4 months). :)
Wahoo Elemnt Bolt arrived earlier. Haven't done much more than set up the data fields and install the out front mount as yet but initial impressions are good. Interface is like night and day compared to Garmin - so much better. Only gripe is that the route list (auto-sync from Strava is awesome btw) supports various sorting methods but not alphabetical :confused:

Still, so far, thumbs up. I'll post a proper comparison after a long ride at the end of the week.
Setting up the data fields is pretty much 90% of the total setup! I love the link with Ridewithgps, pretty much means no fiddling around with .gpx files, just plot & go! With the Wifi sync direct from the unit I have to remember to plug it in to charge, the ELEMNT app is good to remind you, but only if you've got BT on to sync with it! Hardly ever need to! :)
@FrenchTart - drop a suggestion on the Googlegroup and I guarantee it'll be included in the next update :cool:
Linky plx! :o

Drove today due to dire forecast. Rain earlier this morning but seems to have stopped, fog has lifted but don't quite think it's going to burn away to reveal sunshine like yesterday... My legs are back to feeling at around 75% and feeling much perkier after a good sleep, turbo later to step my mileage back up! :cool:

Last night was the first of the 2017 chaingangs, I'm hoping to get myself started on these this year. Any tips? I've done lots of group riding with plenty of fast rides holding wheels but never 'chain-ganged'.

The first got blown apart last night by neo-pro Andy Turner recently back from Girona, dropping several of the strong local riders. The second gang (for beginners) was a marginally more manageable pace, but still looks like I'm going to get dropped! ;)

Soldato
BB is creaking like a mofo on the aeroad. Annoying. I just did a short commute in this morning, rather than a longer trip. Going to head home after lunch and take the Mrs. out on the bikes... will try and keep it flat, not sure her hip can take too much bazookas, first time we've ridden road bikes out together, so let's see how that goes!
Put her on the front so she's not 'chasing' you. That was my worst mistake with mine - now she always rides behind me (refuses to ride in front) but is so nervous she's not close enough to get any draft benefit. Also it's damn annoying to settle into a good cadence to only hear 'slow down!' from behind... :rolleyes:

Cycled anyway - new GP4S is amazing compared to the Gatorskins (I know I know - should have took your advice sooner!) - can't wait to change the rear as well.
Glad you like them, they do cut up quite a bit as they're made of a fairly soft compound, but it doesn't seem to affect the life that much. GP4000's do the same.

Grabbed myself a S/H set of slightly worn 4Seas 25mm for the other half. £18 for two with free postage was too tempting. Would never buy second hand tyres normally but I'm doing a bit of a wheel change for her. The cup & cone bearings are sounding very rough on her Giant wheels (& freehub spring is kaput). She'll go from cheap Giant PR-2's (over 2kg) running Schwalbe Marathon rigid/wired (heavy!) to my old Campag Khamsin's (~1800g) with these Conti 4Seas foldable. She should notice the difference! New chain & cassette too!

I'm going to be doing a full strip & rebuild of her commuter during the summer when she stops riding, for now she wants to continue at least a couple of days a week even while getting fat! Good on her! :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Glad you like them, they do cut up quite a bit as they're made of a fairly soft compound, but it doesn't seem to affect the life that much. GP4000's do the same.

I discovered I can pull threads off round the entire circumference of my rear GP4000SII the other day. I had a spare ready so that got swapped out straight away. The wear indicators were still just about visible.

Soldato
I used to cycle with my wife but, and I'm ashamed to say this, it is just so frustrating now! Slightest incline and I can hear *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* WFT? Turn round and she is 200 yards behind spinning at 100 rpm on the smallest ring of her triple.

I wonder if some of it is her bike though (GT MTB) but she won't buy another one. I'll sneak some slicks on it and crank the preload on the forks right up and see if that helps :D

After my whinge about getting no time to ride I've managed two short rides already this week, can't do the next couple of days then a decent 20+ miles with the guys from work on early finish Friday. A good weekend and I could be pushing 100 miles for the week which is unheard of for me during a working week.

Soldato
My back/hip problem is continuing - I think it's basically pay back for me not properly warming up and warming down - so it's gone into spasm.

Still - on the upside - diazepam - possibly the greatest invention ever. I've not felt as chilled out and care free as this in years. :D

Several work related problems sit on my desk awaiting attention. I can guarantee they will still be sat there come 5pm because diazepam says no.

Soldato
I used to cycle with my wife but, and I'm ashamed to say this, it is just so frustrating now! Slightest incline and I can hear *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* WFT? Turn round and she is 200 yards behind spinning at 100 rpm on the smallest ring of her triple.
Hahaha, know this one too, thankfully no real long inclines in the morning commute, the evening one does have a long drag but it's cycle pathed so we generally ride side by side chatting anyway so I judge my effort on how much she's puffing ;)
Lazy bar-steward

Speedmax has arrived and it seems to be largely intact, apart from one of the hub ends poking out the box (undamaged)... won't be able to unveil it fully until later tonight nor setup & ride until the weekend.
Thanks & great news! Goodluck tonight, make sure you have a very close look to it all :)
because diazepam says no.
Lol! Sorry to hear it's continued, did you go for physio? If you can then see a sports physio and ask about sports related stretching/strengthening you can do, it won't be an overnight change but if you can gradually increase the muscles stamina/strength then it'll be less affected.

Soldato
Imagine this scenario...

You're filtering past stationary traffic up to a traffic light to wait at the front. You're filtering in an empty right turn lane but going straight on. The light goes green as you filter. Do you..
a) Carry on and slot into a long enough gap between cars, potentially making this transition mid way through the junction. (effectively having used the right turn lane to go straight on)
b) Stop and wait to turn into the moving traffic.
c) Slot into a gap of like 2ft annoying the vehicle driver behind.

Soldato
Thanks & great news! Goodluck tonight, make sure you have a very close look to it all :)
Lol! Sorry to hear it's continued, did you go for physio? If you can then see a sports physio and ask about sports related stretching/strengthening you can do, it won't be an overnight change but if you can gradually increase the muscles stamina/strength then it'll be less affected.

Yeah, went to physio this Monday and she said basically everything is super tight - she loosened up lower back, hip flexors, quads (this bit really hurt), hamstrings - set me on my way.

Tuesday felt a bit sore, this morning got up to outright pain and could hardly get my socks on.

I think I'm just going to have to let this diazepam relax everything down, release the spasms I'm getting then as you say - get stuck into the stretches.

Back
Top Bottom