Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Permabanned
been on the phone 25 mins he's making me change all sorts on the router
Did you get any joy in the end? I had an engineer visit today to replace my SH2ac with another one as I was getting the odd dropped connection and the only way to fix was to reboot the SH2ac. The new one is working wonderfully well.

I will be sticking with the SH2ac, so can't get 300Mb anyway,. not that I'd want it due to the exact same upload speed anyway, and the 25MB/s download rate is way more than enough for my household usage.
Thanks to you Mrk, so will I! I did have the 300Mb but mainly to get the 20Mb upload and with it still staying at 20Mb it would make no sense to me.

Associate
Well overall, seems like good news. I'm tempted by the 300Mb (currently normal VIVID 200) but all this talk of SH3 issues makes me reluctant to give up my rock solid SH2 :/

Soldato
Just called them to make a change to my normal VIVID 200. They wouldn't do anything until the prices are on their website but was asking for £14.99 delivery of the SH3.....They can jog on!!

Soldato
Anyone having issues watching Twitch streams? I just did a speed test and got 156mbps 10mbps 11ms ping, but i'm having to change twitch stream quality to low to even get it to play and even then it buffers constantly :(. I havent seen any other complaints in the twitch chat, so I'm guessing its something to do with my connection.

Permabanned
Anyone having issues watching Twitch streams? I just did a speed test and got 156mbps 10mbps 11ms ping, but i'm having to change twitch stream quality to low to even get it to play and even then it buffers constantly :(. I havent seen any other complaints in the twitch chat, so I'm guessing its something to do with my connection.
What is your Virgin package, which Super Hub are you using and are you connected it wirelessly or not? etc

Soldato
just a quick question about fair use policy on virgin. I have been told by virgin that on the 50mb plan my fair usage policy is 100GB data allowance per month, which is ridiculous. I though their internet was truly unlimited within reason, that what their sales staff told me. This months data usage was almost 600GB because of movie streaming and my brother downloading his whole steam account again because of a crash. They told me that i should move up plans if i intend on using their service too much. Considering that having a "high utilisation" and S/N issues in the area one engineer told me and still waiting for them fixed this terribly slow internet, I politely told them not until l they fix this horrible internet connection.

Honestly I would highly advice people not to join virgin, they are deliberately taking on more customers than their network can handle and its not fair on customers. Their staff is so inconsistent its scary, every one tells you something different. They have given me a £6 discount which is not enough for this joke internet. If you are in area 21 you are probably going to get bad service during peak times, i mean dial up bad.

Associate
just a quick question about fair use policy on virgin. I have been told by virgin that on the 50mb plan my fair usage policy is 100GB data allowance per month, which is ridiculous. I though their internet was truly unlimited within reason, that what their sales staff told me. This months data usage was almost 600GB because of movie streaming and my brother downloading his whole steam account again because of a crash. They told me that i should move up plans if i intend on using their service too much. Considering that having a "high utilisation" and S/N issues in the area one engineer told me and still waiting for them fixed this terribly slow internet, I politely told them not until l they fix this horrible internet connection.

Honestly I would highly advice people not to join virgin, they are deliberately taking on more customers than their network can handle and its not fair on customers. Their staff is so inconsistent its scary, every one tells you something different. They have given me a £6 discount which is not enough for this joke internet. If you are in area 21 you are probably going to get bad service during peak times, i mean dial up bad.

I'm in Area 21 and have no major Utilisation issues. (DN Area)

My household average usage is over 1TB pm (according to VM when I upgraded to Vivid Gamer) and never had any letters or phone calls about usage.

Soldato
What is your Virgin package, which Super Hub are you using and are you connected it wirelessly or not? etc
I think we had the 100mb package that was upgraded to 150mb for 'free' a while back. We have the superhub 2 (VMDG485) and my gaming PC is wired. Never had any issues before, just in the last few weeks.

Soldato
I'm in Area 21 and have no major Utilisation issues. (DN Area)

My household average usage is over 1TB pm (according to VM when I upgraded to Vivid Gamer) and never had any letters or phone calls about usage.

But you are on the Vivid Gamer, i cautiously took their most basic package to trial it as there was many reports of people in are 21 having high utilisation in the area. Even one of their engineeers admited that they should not be taking anymore accounts in the are as its over suscribed. He even advised me not to upgrade packages as it wont help. I was just trying to find out if the different packages have different fair useage policty. One of their customer service engineers seem to indicate such by telling me I have used too much and should upgrade package. During the evening my internet is like dial up bad, lucky to get 1mb download speed and pings are up in the 500 online gaming but fine during the mornings. I refuse to pay for this kind of service really, unfortunately virgin are only company that offer fiber optic in this area all other companies are just normal DSL internet at max 17mb. Right now i seriously regret upgrading, I am hoping they are willing to let me go from my contract if they don't keep their promise of fixing all line issues by 29th of march.

consider yourself very lucky as many in are 21 are having issues.

Associate
almost 2 weeks ago a bunch of virgin media contractors dug up my street and put down tarmac. We're just awaiting the cables now. Anyone know usually how long it takes as they did the entire street in just under 2 days. and they haven't been back since.

Tried talking to virgin and i keep getting bounced through to random departments that can't help me.

Associate
I don't think there's any set time, different teams for digging and cabling so it just depends how busy the cable guys are elsewhere. VM have just finished doing my street. Cables went in about 2 days after the trench was dug, but then there was about a week's delay before the holes were filled back in.

Although, tbh, I'm no longer intending to take advantage of the new build at least in the near future. We're supposed to be getting proper fibre rather than coax, so local congestion shouldn't be an issue, but I've been hearing so many negative things about VM's core network and the SH3 problems that I'll probably stick with my FTTC connection (which gets full 80/20) until some neighbours have given VM a try first.

Associate
consider yourself very lucky as many in are 21 are having issues.

A common mistake, but using area codes (which are for billing purposes) to talk about ultilisation issues is completely pointless. Those faults are usually local to a specific CMTS node, for which 'area 21' encompasses likely hundreds of nodes. The only meaningful way to talk about them is when discussing what CMTS you are connected to, but even then things aren't that simple because it depends on how many channels the CMTS has available, what modem you're using and how much of the bonded group you are using.

For sure, VM has lots and lots of congested CMTS nodes but it has nothing to do with what area code you see on your bill, just simply the usage within your local node.

Associate
30th March the packages should go live, according to information on the VM forums. There almost certainly won't be an automatic upgrade though (previous upgrades have taken years). Once they are live on the website you can probably call up to get moved to the new speeds, though with a new contract applied I would guess.

Soldato
Anyone elses internet getting terrible packet loss today? About 30% loss in large chunks at a time making loading web pages very difficult.

Associate

I've been having problems with twitch streams but only in microsoft edge, they load fine in chrome.

Back
Top Bottom