Retro console and games thread

Man of Honour
What's your budget?

I use one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Namco-Arc...804126?hash=item465f8d439e:g:KYIAAOSwB09YKFYD

There were a few sticks released for the PS2 around the release of cetain games like Tekken 4 and 5, as well as Capcom Fighting Jam. There's also the Hori Fighting Stick 2. All of which could be difficult to source and still cost upwards of £40

A company called Mayflash sells one that's PS2, 3 and PC compatible that's normally under £40, not sure how good it is though. Amazon sell them I think.

Underboss
ok, here is the NES in question

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-Nes-Console-And-Games-Bundle-And-Nes-Advantage-Control-Stick-/322451398942?ssPageName=ADME:X:RRNTB:GB:3160&nma=true&si=MECNJrd4rUTijWaAGRUsJb31hvs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

as you can see, no PSU supplied, so used my SNES one

today, i sent a request for a refund because i get a flashing red light (i don't open things up and clean stuff , end up damaging it so i wouldn't then be able to get a refund)

so the seller has offered me a part refund and asking me "how much" i want , and he sent me a £20 refund (which i haven't accepted or done anything yet)

is it worth price then ?

your thoughts ?

thanks

Man of Honour
So with the refund you've paid £16? Plus £10 delivery.

Surely the NES Advantage and the games are worth £26?

I'd open a cartridge and clean it and give it a other go. Don't worry about opening the NES up. You only need a Phillips screwdriver and the seller couldn't prove you've opened it anyway. Plenty of guides on YouTube for removing the 72 pin connector. Or you could remove the lid and try adjusting the loading mechanism.

I'm pretty sure the flashing red light is just a failure to read the cartridge.

Soldato
Yes the flashing light is just poor contact.

A friend NES had a similar issue, you just had to wiggle/change how far in the cart was inserted to get it to load.

As most of the time the cart would be pushed in all the way that's where the dirt/bad contact is made, having it just slightly off that made better contact.

So put in card, push it down to load, if it fails eject it so it's back up, give it a wiggle/reposition press the reset button, then push down to load.
Had to do this a few times to get some games to run.

Associate
You don't actually have to push the cart down for the NES to load it, I assume that just applies tension.

Mine often worked better left in the up position so try that too.

Man of Honour
Recommendations to remove the 72 pin connector and boil it in water don't tend to yeild any results in my experience. You can also buy replacements from Amazon and eBay but can be hit and miss.

Soldato
Does anyone own the Open Source Scan Converter? I have a framemeister on order but won't be here until the end of april but was wondering if the OSSC is worth picking up as stock for that is due any day now.

I've got an OSSC, I'm using it with my PS1, Saturn and SNES.

My tv is a Panasonic GT50 plasma, all consoles are PAL, the SNES and Saturn are 50/60hz switchable and both can play any region games. The PS1 has a Psio and as such can play NTSC games. The tv doesn't accept 3x 4x and 5x modes.

The OSSC is faultless as far as image quality is concerned with the SNES and Saturn. The picture looks amazing compared to a straight scart lead, the scan lines the OSSC generates are great. The is a very slight stutter with the Saturn when in 60hz mode playing NTSC titles as the frequency the Saturn generates is not quite 60hz. This is a console issue, not an OSSC induced problem but it is one that the OSSC highlights. It doesn't bother me and isn't really perceptible during gameplay. It can be fixed with a DFO mod wg ic I might consider doing.

The Tv will display NTSC PS1 titles fine. Again there is a tiny bit of stutter due to the ps1 also not quite getting 60hz correct. DFO can fix this. The tv will not display pal titles however. The 314p upscaled image is something the tv cannot handle and this is compounded by the consoles 59.76hz output. It's not a problem for me as the Psio is full of NTSC games so I don't miss pal.

Underboss
Underboss
So with the refund you've paid £16? Plus £10 delivery.

Surely the NES Advantage and the games are worth £26?

I'd open a cartridge and clean it and give it a other go. Don't worry about opening the NES up. You only need a Phillips screwdriver and the seller couldn't prove you've opened it anyway. Plenty of guides on YouTube for removing the 72 pin connector. Or you could remove the lid and try adjusting the loading mechanism.

I'm pretty sure the flashing red light is just a failure to read the cartridge.

thats "if" the games work, cant test them thats the thing !
you have a NES ? perhaps you could try a couple of games on yours for me, see if they work ? ;)

Man of Honour
I don't have one.

Your first port of call is too clean your cartridges. A flashing red light is just a failure to read the cartridge. Which is usually dirty contacts. Brasso works really well.

If that doesn't work then try inserting the cartridge but don't push it down. If that doesn't work try pulling it back out slightly or jiggle it slightly.

The 72 pin connector is prone to the gap between the pins widening over time so it doesn't make a good enough contact with the cartridge.

It's unlikely the cartridges won't work. I've had hundreds of games on many cartridge formats pass through my hands that I've had to test and I've had one that wouldn't work after cleaning it with Brasso. That was Golden Axe 2 on the Mega Drive.

If the console is just giving you a flashing red light then it powers on and more than likely will work with a bit of TLC. It's one of the easiest consoles to take apart and put back together, only the "toaster" mechanism can be a bit fiddly.

Underboss
I don't have one.

Your first port of call is too clean your cartridges. A flashing red light is just a failure to read the cartridge. Which is usually dirty contacts. Brasso works really well.

If that doesn't work then try inserting the cartridge but don't push it down. If that doesn't work try pulling it back out slightly or jiggle it slightly.

The 72 pin connector is prone to the gap between the pins widening over time so it doesn't make a good enough contact with the cartridge.

It's unlikely the cartridges won't work. I've had hundreds of games on many cartridge formats pass through my hands that I've had to test and I've had one that wouldn't work after cleaning it with Brasso. That was Golden Axe 2 on the Mega Drive.

If the console is just giving you a flashing red light then it powers on and more than likely will work with a bit of TLC. It's one of the easiest consoles to take apart and put back together, only the "toaster" mechanism can be a bit fiddly.

thanks

i sent a message to the seller saying i want £30, and he has accepted, but i can only decline the £20 or accept it, not sure what to do ?

Soldato
Quick question, found some Jazz Jackrabbit games on Ebay. Including "Jazz Jackrabbit Holiday Hare" do I need the first or second game to play this please? Will be buying from the USA, so should work on my UK PC I hope?

Underboss
NES

Seller isn't giving me £30 now, so ive pulled it apart, bent the pins up and took the debris out between the pins

managed to get a solid red light now, but ive only got a AV lead to av lead,
same as yellow white/red lead but its only the one cable and im not seeing a picture

would a audio lead (red/white) lead work?

any ideas ?

Also, without buying another NES, is there something cheap that will work with nes carts like the retron 5? that i could use instead?

Man of Honour
You need one RCA connection from yellow on NES to yellow AV on TV then RCA from NES to AV audio on TV. Then select AV from TV remote. The colour of the connection cable doesn't matter as long as they match up in terms of output to input.

Underboss
You need one RCA connection from yellow on NES to yellow AV on TV then RCA from NES to AV audio on TV. Then select AV from TV remote. The colour of the connection cable doesn't matter as long as they match up in terms of output to input.

managed to get it working, the single lead jobbie doesn't work, as i don't have a 2 RCA to 2 RCA, i had to bodge one, and it works, bit flickery but works

so im going to need a nes to scart and a new 72 pin connector

thinking of getting a retron 5 or similar instead now as its hard working getting nes to work

Back
Top Bottom