** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Man of Honour
no roomba action on the drone ship, i realy was hopping we would see that massive robot in action :(

but here's some pics from the live launch stream

1zmo9pe.jpg

What a lovely shoot looking through the exhaust plume, I'm always amazed how wide it expands when you get to upper atmosphere. less than 1 atmosphere different.

2hgcu2b.jpg

Grid fin heating up to cook some waffles, probably only paint, but be interesting when we get some pics when its back at port.

ncikpv.jpg

Nailed the landing again
24zfali.jpg

24zfali.jpg
[/IMG]

Satellite separation

307ugky.jpg

Elons short speech

Man of Honour
spoke to soon :eek:

Jeff Foust‏ @jeff_foust
Musk says the payload fairing was recovered as well. “The cherry on the cake.”

Jeff Foust‏ @jeff_foust
Musk said they used thrusters and parachutes to guide the fairing to a splashdown; he said he’s seen a photo of a fairing half in ocean.

we already new one FH side booster is a flight proven one, now confirmation that both are flight proven.

Chris B - NSF‏ @NASASpaceflight
Elon confirmation the two Falcon Heavy side boosters are flight proven S1s. "FH two side boosters are being reflown"

Jeff Foust‏ @jeff_foust
Musk says it was “shockingly difficult” to develop the Falcon Heavy. Expecting a “late summer” launch of the first FH now.

also

Jeff Foust‏ @jeff_foust
Musk adds it might “fun to try a Hail Mary” and recover an upper stage.

this explains the lack of roomba or as reddit calls it optimus prime
Chris B - NSF‏ @NASASpaceflight
No robot on the ASDS it seems (we thought it was very questionable). Elon says in action in the next few months.

its a tweet storm atm.

it just keeps coming
Jeff Foust‏ @jeff_foust
Musk says SpaceX will have an update on the design of their Interplanetary Transport System posted on their website in about a month.
hopefully a new name with it, ITS is not a good abbreviation

Last edited:
Man of Honour
post launch spacex conference, which is the original source for the tweets i posted above and a fair few more details about costs and future plans etc.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
wahho nailed it, the making of history right there, a major step towards cheap access to space.
Did not catch it live, but watched it the next day. IMO that was another giant leap for mankind, but I think 99.9% of mankind does not even know it happened or cares :(

Looking forward to see the falcon heavy in action next :D

Also I read somewhere they may try and attempt to land the second stage of the rocket soon also which would be amazing if they can do by 2020. They will likely fail a few times, but learn from each mistake by analysing the data, so failure should not be seen as discouraging, but progress.

Man of Honour
the new plan for SLS is retarded, how many stupid plans do they want to think off.

for the love of God, just kill the program already and use the billions saved to build stuff to launch on comercial rockets.

i mean 1 single launch a year at somewhere around 1billlion dollars, think of what could be lifted on existing rockets, let alone, Falcon heavy, new glen, new armstrong or ITS

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/04/nasa-goals-missions-sls-eyes-multi-step-mars/

oh and looking at manning a brand new craft, where they make commercial crafts have 7 successful flights before being human rated. pick one or the other.
Just like ISS its a money sink that would better of being cancelled.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
the new plan for SLS is retarded, how many stupid plans do they want to think off.

for the love of God, just kill the program already and use the billions saved to build stuff to launch on comercial rockets.

i mean 1 single launch a year at somewhere around 1billlion dollars, think of what could be lifted on existing rockets, let alone, Falcon heavy, new glen, new armstrong or ITS

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/04/nasa-goals-missions-sls-eyes-multi-step-mars/

oh and looking at manning a brand new craft, where they make commercial crafts have 7 successful flights before being human rated. pick one or the other.
Just like ISS its a money sink that would better of being cancelled.

+1

But they won't :(

Man of Honour
That's pretty damn impressive. How many times do they think the rocket will be reusable?
That ones being retired as its historic and will go on display at the cape.
However towards the end of the year they'll be flying slightly upgraded rockets where the plan is 10 times with no refurbishment and 100times with minimal refurbishment, I can't see the 100, but 10times on its own would drastically cut price.

Back
Top Bottom