Ghost in the Shell (2017) (Scarlett Johansson)

Soldato
Looking forward to this, it looks stunning. Also i think people are mssing the point a little with this, GiTS was always a little more style over substance, not to say it didn't have substance but it was all about that visual and sensory flood. I'm not 100% sold on scarlett as the major and not based on anything to do with scarlett's ability to act, more so because of an image and look built by decades of GiTS franchise that moves a different direction to her look, i would expect the major to be taller, command more of a presence and have a more militery/jacked look, feminine but trained and built for combat. I don't think scarlett johansson pulls that off quite well enough to fit this role perfectly. I will still watch and enjoy none the less.

Commissario
I'm not sure I would expect the Major to be taller, she's normally shown as being shorter than most of her team from memory, although I think her height varies a lot depending on which manga, film or anime series you're looking at.

I actually went nuts and for the first time booked gallery seats at the cinema (it helped I had some vouchers/points and the price difference should be offset by the snacks/drinks).

Associate
I don't like SJ in this since I can't buy her as the major. I've seen her play a similar role in too many other movies, so as soon as she said "This is the major" or whatever, I thought, "No, you're Scarlet Johannson...". Of course they chose her as a tentpole for the film, as evidenced by the posters which are literally just her face.

Associate
I'm so looking forward to this.
But I have a bad feeling about it but I don't know why. All the trailers and clips of it look great.
Anyone feel the same way?

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
most reviews saying its visually spectacular and johanssen holds it all together

I hope so, i dont know what it is but my initial impression was being skeptical. If it is even half as good as the anime it should be a hit.

Associate
ok just got back from seeing this over all they kept it true to the core of the original movie, with one or two changes to it. but it was very good. I give it 7.5 out 10

one of the changes they done is where "Section 9" in the anime and manga is "public security Section 9 apart Ministry of Internal Affairs", in this it is "Section 9 apart of the department of defence"

Caporegime
Just came back and this is from someone who hasn't seen GITS anime for like 17 years. I don't remember the anime at all and truth be told, the original never engaged me and thought it wasn't a patch on Akira from what I recall. So I don't remember what changes there has been or what they kept. To me, this can be as much like an original story and I will treat it as a stand alone movie.

I found the 2017 remake to be brilliant. The CGI (for the most part) is fully realised, it looked amazing, the way it blend in with real (Hong Kong) cityscape is almost seamless, I was constantly looking for faults but it was done brilliantly and hats off for the visual effects department for that.

The story had me interested, I saw a review this morning that says it was long and it felt long, I didn't feel that at all. I thought it moved on well from one part to the next and at no point did I feel I was bored.

The pre-movie moans about Scarlett Johansson playing a "japanese" character is pointless I think after seeing this, mainly because, I don't think this is a spoiler, that she is a robot, robot don't have skin colour as such so it matters not. And she is really good in this, I thought she acted well and the supporting characters are too.

Overall I really enjoyed it, it is a good film, period, not just a good Anime adaptation/remake, its just a good movie.

8.5/10

Associate
Just came back and this is from someone who hasn't seen GITS anime for like 17 years. I don't remember the anime at all and truth be told, the original never engaged me and thought it wasn't a patch on Akira from what I recall. So I don't remember what changes there has been or what they kept. To me, this can be as much like an original story and I will treat it as a stand alone movie.

I found the 2017 remake to be brilliant. The CGI (for the most part) is fully realised, it looked amazing, the way it blend in with real (Hong Kong) cityscape is almost seamless, I was constantly looking for faults but it was done brilliantly and hats off for the visual effects department for that.

The story had me interested, I saw a review this morning that says it was long and it felt long, I didn't feel that at all. I thought it moved on well from one part to the next and at no point did I feel I was bored.

The pre-movie moans about Scarlett Johansson playing a "japanese" character is pointless I think after seeing this, mainly because, I don't think this is a spoiler, that she is a robot, robot don't have skin colour as such so it matters not. And she is really good in this, I thought she acted well and the supporting characters are too.

Overall I really enjoyed it, it is a good film, period, not just a good Anime adaptation/remake, its just a good movie.

8.5/10

Really are you being serious this was poor.

It's typical Hollywood pull bits from source and just stick it in with some made up story which is very basic

I think you need to go watch the originals again.

Caporegime
Really are you being serious this was poor.

It's typical Hollywood pull bits from source and just stick it in with some made up story which is very basic

I think you need to go watch the originals again.

Yes I am being serious. I gave my reasons.

My opinion is equally as valid as yours, you are free to disagree but "are you serious" ?

Are you serious in asking "are you serious"?

I don't need to watch the original again, that means I would be comparing movies against movies. I rather movies stand on it's own feet and on its own merit.

Associate
Yes I am being serious. I gave my reasons.

My opinion is equally as valid as yours, you are free to disagree but "are you serious" ?

Are you serious in asking "are you serious"?

I don't need to watch the original again, that means I would be comparing movies against movies. I rather movies stand on it's own feet and on its own merit.

Some one is a bit sensitive

What is the harm watching the original are you scared that you will change your mind and see how bad this movie really was?

This is not an original idea so it does not have it's own merit it even tries taking bits from the original but it fails because it just sticks them in there without real purpose the original is not perfect but it explains things and has better flow.

But if you like it you like it.

The cinema was dead when I went the staff even said no interest in the movie but when they showed the original few weeks before it was sold out.

Caporegime
Some one is a bit sensitive

What is the harm watching the original are you scared that you will change your mind and see how bad this movie really was?

This is not an original idea so it does not have it's own merit it even tries taking bits from the original but it fails because it just sticks them in there without real purpose the original is not perfect but it explains things and has better flow.

But if you like it you like it.

The cinema was dead when I went the staff even said no interest in the movie but when they showed the original few weeks before it was sold out.

Not sensitive but I detest it when people think their opinion is somehow more valid than mine. As you would be too.

There is no harm watching the original, if I feel like it, but at the moment I don't.

I enjoyed this movie...end of story. That's really all there is to it?

I am fully aware this isn't an original idea, so what? You think the Matrix is an original idea? You think Star Wars is an original idea? Everything is copied from one and other these days. The first and foremost thing I look for in a film is "how much it engaged me". I go by the simple test, how many times I look at my watch. I looked at my watch exactly zero times. That's how much i was engaged with it. If anything else, that's worth my time. And at the end of the day, that's its main job of the film done. The other aspects like thought provoking, influence, myth etc is a bonus. The most important thing is I didn't sit there feeling bored. I was not.

My screening wasn't that full, was actually quite empty for an opening night but that's not really my concern. It's just other people's opinion and pre-conception about what this is like before they even seen it.

Associate
You can say you enjoyed it all you like but when you say good film full stop and rate it 8.5 people are more than justified to critise.

I'm not a big anime fan but know a bit about Gits and if you could come out of it thinking the main character was a robot this adaption clearly did a crap job with the originals themes. I know i certainly won't be watching it. Hate dumbed down generic Hollywood versions of things.

Caporegime
You can say you enjoyed it all you like but when you say good film full stop and rate it 8.5 people are more than justified to critise.

I'm not a big anime fan but know a bit about Gits and if you could come out of it thinking the main character was a robot this adaption clearly did a crap job with the originals themes. I know i certainly won't be watching it. Hate dumbed down generic Hollywood versions of things.

Well I do think it is a good film, it is not perfect, but my opinion is that it is a good film. Your opinion may differ, you have your reasons, I have given mine.

So what is there to criticise about? Is it to criticise that your opinion is more valid than mine?

It is your prerogative to not watching it either, I won't force you and won't even try to change your prejudice against a movie you haven't seen base on my opinion that you clearly don't even agree on....so on one hand you think my opinion is invalid, yet it has enough weight to stop you watching it....okay. You either think my opinion and reasoning is valid and its a good film or you don't.

btw, when i said robot, I mean cyborg, people and society in an age where they have embraced technology, the movie sets this out at the start. I didn't want to do spoiler tags but if you want me to go full on spoiler, I can do.

And let me gets this out, I know FULL well this movie doesn't go into the depth of the original, and again, comparing to the original. Which I am not, this movie, as it stands, it does the job. People who are most upset seems to be the one who can't let themselves enjoy this movie without drawing it back to the original. They can't separate it one from the other and have this need to tell people because it doesn't compare to the original, this is immediately a bad movie. There is also a need to tell other people about how bad this is because of it. Like they are the guardian of the original movie and they are offended this is made and have to voice it to the world this is bad and it must be bad because of 1) the white wash element. 2) it is dumbed down and wasn't the same exact movie 3) it exists.

This is miles better than Attack on Titan effort, miles better than Dragonball Evolution effort. This could have been so bad, and this isn't. It's not perfect, and of course, I don't think it is a 8.5 movie but I gave it 8.5 for enjoyment. I came away feeling satisfied.

What's wrong with that?

Last edited:
Soldato
A lot of friends have seen it and they are mostly very hard core anime fans. And the response has been pretty positive.
Just need to treated as a it is, a US version.

If it was poor they wouldn't hold back on criticism.

I'm going to IMAX it tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom