• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Indeed :D

Yes you did imply that though. The whole point was Vega was not coming out when Titan XP came out and would be coming out nearly a year later so they could not charge that amount.

They can charge £50 less than whatever the Titan XP is going for at the time so if its going for £500 £450 a year later then AMD can charge £450-400 so no i did not imply what you are saying.
You are saying AMD charging Titan XP launch prices a year later i never implied that hence prices at the time when i have been saying that from the get go which you clearly don't understand.

The only way AMD could get away with charging near XP launch prices is if the XP is still at launch prices a year later.

You clearly like putting words into peoples mouth and imply silly things like the £1150 you pulled out of thin air and make out as if i said that when the going rate is about half that and the reason why i dont post much anymore because there is too much childness in many posts including yours with your constant use of sticking out your tongue smilies hence you are joining the list of the ignored.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I didn't say anything of the sort even after i said that would be silly, so you lack reading comprehension and you can't count £1150- £50=1100.

Thank god i only read ignored members post once in a blue moon.
You said "Undercut the price of the Titan XP by £50 or whatever the price of the Titan XP is at the time". Not sure how I can misread that. Nothing wrong with my reading cheers and I can also count (although badly) but looking on the NVidia site (who sells the Titan XP), it is £1,179.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/buy/graphics-cards/geforce/titan-x/

Hence why I said £1,129 (£1,179 - £50 = £1,129).

You are not doing yourself any favours lol :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They can charge £50 less than whatever the Titan XP is going for at the time so if its going for £500 £450 a year later then AMD can charge £450-400 so no i did not imply what you are saying.
You are saying AMD charging Titan XP launch prices a year later i never implied that hence prices at the time when i have been saying that from the get go which you clearly don't understand.

The only way AMD could get away with charging near XP launch prices is if the XP is still at launch prices a year later.

You clearly like putting words into peoples mouth and imply silly things like the £1150 you pulled out of thin air and make out as if i said that when the going rate is about half that and the reason why i dont post much anymore because there is too much childness in many posts including yours with your constant use of sticking out your tongue smilies hence you are joining the list of the ignored.

Oh dear...

You said "Undercut the price of the Titan XP by £50 or whatever the price of the Titan XP is at the time". Not sure how I can misread that. Nothing wrong with my reading cheers and I can also count (although badly) but looking on the NVidia site (who sells the Titan XP), it is £1,179.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/buy/graphics-cards/geforce/titan-x/

Hence why I said £1,129 (£1,179 - £50 = £1,129).

You are not doing yourself any favours lol :D
Exactly. He goes and accuses me of putting words in his mouth, acts all condescendingly and cannot even get his facts right. He knows he is wrong, instead of admitting it, he would rather block me... and on top he has the cheek of calling me childish! Lol. Maybe he is the one that needs to grow up and stop taking things said online on a graphics card forum so seriously? :p

The funny thing is, he was the one who took issue with my post to start with...

Can't say I am bothered he has blocked me though, at least I won't have to reply back to is drivel when he quotes me, where he says one thing and means another. Next time just say what you mean or learn to realise when you have got it wrong and stop digging yourself a hole :p

Here, have some more :p:p:p

:D

Last edited:
Associate
damn ... Vega getting hyped up. Truth be told if they don't have something in the ballpark of 1080-1080Ti things are going to get messy.

are you sure Volta's going to be out this year? seems a bit of a stretch. Specifically if the partners are supposed to get out 1060/1080 versions with faster memory.

I'm sure if Vega is as powerful as AMD hinted (Poor Volta) Nvidia will waste no time. Perhaps a Nov / Dec prequel or paper launch, maybe even just the data centre as they did with Pascal, it woukd still fall with time scales.

After that Poor Volta statement NOBODY will take AMD seriously if it isn't significantly faster than a 1080ti. Worse than overlockers dream.

Associate
Volta chips already exist with mass availability of a new Drive PX powered by Volta available Q3 this year. HPC products for oak-ridge are due Q4 or 2018Q1. Gaming ASICs could be anytime for Q3 this year on wards. but probably not until next year. The most recent rumors is Volta will prepare much earlier than originally forecast. Was planned for 10nm process but since the 10nm is delayed Volta will be released on TSMC's new 12nm AKA 16nmFF+, AKA 20nm planar process.

Nvidia havd been making very good money, Yes they have been overcharging for consumer models and this makes a huge chunk of their profit.

But they have created a lot of partnerships with the likes of Tesla, whom pay a lot more than consumers (if you exclude the free cluster Nvidia gave them) it won't be too long until the market is more profitable.

AMD have always been notoriously better than Nvida at compute, Nvidia can't afford to let AMD muscle in, eventually with all on chip and galaxy in a box computing power.

Caporegime
Oh dear...

Exactly. He goes and accuses me of putting words in his mouth, acts all condescendingly and cannot even get his facts right. He knows he is wrong, instead of admitting it, he would rather block me... and on top he has the cheek of calling me childish! Lol. Maybe he is the one that needs to grow up and stop taking things said online on a graphics card forum so seriously? :p

The funny thing is, he was the one who took issue with my post to start with...

Can't say I am bothered he has blocked me though, at least I won't have to reply back to is drivel when he quotes me, where he says one thing and means another. Next time just say what you mean or learn to realise when you have got it wrong and stop digging yourself a hole :p

Here, have some more :p:p:p

:D
I never understand people who get so emotional over a GPU, that they end up blocking people. He clearly states that AMD should release at £50 cheaper than the TXP if it is comparable performance. I really can't see AMD charging £1129 for a GPU if it is on par with TXP, especially when you have a faster card in the 1080Ti out the box at a massively lower price. If AMD have a faster card than the 1080Ti, then clearly they should charge more than the 1080Ti and I could see exactly where they are coming from, if it is slower by 10% for instance, then £50 to £100 cheaper would be a real tempter for those on the fence.

If I was to make a wild stab at price and performance (but probably miles wrong) I would put the big Vega chip which is coming in the later part of the year as the 1080Ti killer and cost around the same price as the 1080Ti, the chip with 8GB HBM2 will compete/slightly pass with the 1080 in DX12 but fall short in DX11 slightly and will cost around the $500 mark.

Associate
Why would AMD charge more than the 1080ti if they produce a card that is more powerful ?

What we need is for them to produce a card that is more powerful but comes out cheaper.. They want more of the market share and that is the fasted way to do it.. Also if they do it, which they tend to do (try), then it is a win win for all high end PC gamers (even fan boys). "clearly they should charge more" is a very strange statement.. we need competition not they should charge more..

They have clearly stated they want to produce a GPU that can handle 4k and can be run in a 4k gaming PC for a thousand pounds... Lets hope they pull it off so the neutral, reds and greens can all get better prices for our computer gear.

Soldato
Why would AMD charge more than the 1080ti if they produce a card that is more powerful ?

What we need is for them to produce a card that is more powerful but comes out cheaper.. They want more of the market share and that is the fasted way to do it.. Also if they do it, which they tend to do (try), then it is a win win for all high end PC gamers (even fan boys). "clearly they should charge more" is a very strange statement.. we need competition not they should charge more..

They have clearly stated they want to produce a GPU that can handle 4k and can be run in a 4k gaming PC for a thousand pounds... Lets hope they pull it off so the neutral, reds and greens can all get better prices for our computer gear.
I think even a Vega that beats a 1080Ti for the same price would be a big win for them. Not necessarily for raw sales, but for brand prestige. They need to shake off this image that they are the 'budget brand' GPU maker. Many people are informed enough to know they still produce great GPU's relative to direct competition, but many are not and associate Nvidia with being the best and AMD for being the lesser, but cheaper option. This wont change overnight, but a flagship product that beats the best Nvidia has for a good 8-12 months would be a good start in at least getting more people to recognize they are a serious competitor.

Faster + cheaper would be amazing, both for us and for AMD if they can manage it, but it's a lot to ask for. And it's unfair to expect that this is what they should be expected to do if it's going to mean a lot worse profit margins for them. Cheaper would obviously force Nvidia's hand to lower prices, but that just means less money for both of them. And it risks Nvidia dropping their price aggressively, either then or in the near future, which could ultimately force AMD's hand again. In other words, a race to the bottom hurts both company's profit margins so can be mutually detrimental.

Permabanned
Not like Nvidia to be so preemptive with their releases tbh.

Who knows, maybe Vega really will be a competitior and Nvidia are simply saturating the market before it gets here, The vast majority of gpu buyers only buy a gpu once every generation or so, And if everyone's already bought 10 series cards the markets done.

Soldato
I dont think there's really any doubting the 1080Ti release and 1080 price drop are preemptive moves in anticipation of Vega. It's good strategy as nasha explains above.

They did the exact same thing with the 980Ti and 980 in anticipation for Fiji and that worked out well for them.

Caporegime

Why wouldn't they? They have the faster card, so would make sense to charge more than the competition. They can win back market share and earn some decent profits whilst doing so if they have the card that holds the crown.

Soldato

AMD wont charge more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom