***21.9 Ultrawide Thread***

Soldato
Result :)

Are you going to try your luck and buy another?

Yes, as aside from the blb and wonky plastic bezels, the screen with gsync is brilliant. Even though I'm playing ME:A at anything between 30 and 100FPS, it's very smooth.

That, and the only other choice is a not well received VA AOC or the £1150 Asus. The X34P seems like it's not going to drop any time soon so I may try for the X34A again, but hope for another manufacture batch.

Man of Honour
That's mostly IPS glow. Pretty much all IPS monitors will have glow in the corners.

Yes, as aside from the blb and wonky plastic bezels, the screen with gsync is brilliant. Even though I'm playing ME:A at anything between 30 and 100FPS, it's very smooth.

That, and the only other choice is a not well received VA AOC or the £1150 Asus. The X34P seems like it's not going to drop any time soon so I may try for the X34A again, but hope for another manufacture batch.

I'm glad you like the Gsync :) I wouldn't go back now. I can see why even after a year or two, the price premium is still there.

Don't pay 1150 for the ASUS. I got it for 1039 from OcUK as they matched another etailer.

Soldato
That's mostly IPS glow. Pretty much all IPS monitors will have glow in the corners.

I'm glad you like the Gsync :) I wouldn't go back now. I can see why even after a year or two, the price premium is still there.

Don't pay 1150 for the ASUS. I got it for 1039 from OcUK as they matched another etailer.

Who has it for £1050? It's still £150 more than the Acer, and already paid too much at £900 ha

Caporegime
OP
The above is not IPS glow, it is back light bleed, IPS glow looks something like this:

hN7e8qh.jpg

IPS VA VA:

J0fatlw.jpg

Orange/yellow corners like this image are back light bleed.

Good to see you have somewhat got a result but still, poor show from ocuk by more or less saying that is fit for use lol...

Soldato
Monitors are such a frustration these days. Unbelievable what you have to go through just to get a proper sample. Even worse when you consider the huuuge premium on some models.

Associate
Samsung C34F791 Review:

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-c34f791/

Not bad looking at all, just a shame it has such a steep curve, rather high input lag and still issues with some motion/response time :(

The high curve doesn't seem to be an issue though but the input lag is a little too high for my liking. Overall it looks like the best superwide VA available at the moment. I'd probably get one if it was gsync instead of freesync. I've heard that Samsung will be doing gsync monitors later in the year so maybe we will see a gsync version of this one, It might also help out with the input lag as well!

Caporegime
OP
The high curve doesn't seem to be an issue though but the input lag is a little too high for my liking. Overall it looks like the best superwide VA available at the moment. I'd probably get one if it was gsync instead of freesync. I've heard that Samsung will be doing gsync monitors later in the year so maybe we will see a gsync version of this one, It might also help out with the input lag as well!
Curve is personal preference. Some like it, some hate it, I don't mind the subtle curve on the likes of the acer IPS 34" or even the other VA 34" screens but Samsung's curve is ridiculous imo. If you are always sitting directly in front and in the centre then it might be fine.

Seems like the other 34" VA screens are using Samsung's old panel that they used in their first 34" 1440 VA screen, so yet again, these manufacturers are all just using more or less the same panels but with a few improvements to be able to hit a higher refresh rate....

Caporegime
OP
Another 21.9 34" 1440 VA monitor:

http://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/349X7FJEW_00/brilliance-curved-ultrawide-lcd-display/specifications

Looks like the manufacturers have got fed up with all the bleed/glow complaints associated with the IPS panels and are now jumping ship to VA :p

Some news on new panels:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/37.htm#auo_samsung_roadmaps

We know that AU Optronics are investing in research in to HDR supporting backlights as a priority. These start with global dimming options with only 1 dimming area, and are of course the most cost effective. Edge Backlight Unit dimming with 8 or 16 areas are also under development, while the full flat direct backlight unit with >300 dimming areas is the best option for true HDR. Have a read of our HDR article for more information about this. AU Optronics are also establishing the feasibility of offering a full array (>300 areas) backlight for curved screens but it's not yet in development.

Panel wise, AUO will offer various HDR display options. The edge backlight options will come in flat 32" (2560 x 1440) and curved 35" (3440 x 1440) sizes and are based on VA panel technology. They will offer 8 backlight areas and a colour space of DCIP3 >=90%. 400 typical and 600 cd/m2 peak brightness is provided and these panels are forecast to go in to production in Q3 2017.

AUO are also now working on a 32" HDR IPS-type AHVA panel, with similar features as the asus 27" 4k 384 full array local dimming. A 3840 x 2160 ultra HD resolution, 384-zone backlight, HDR support, DCIP3>=95% and 400 - 800 cd/m2 brightness. This 32" version is expected to go in to production in Q4 2017 so is some way behind the 27" model. No confirmation on refresh rate of the 32" panel, although we don't believe it will be high refresh rate sadly as it is not listed in their gaming panels, whereas the 27" version is.

Samsung are investing in a couple of unique and interesting options as detailed below. Part numbers are not known at this stage:

• 49" mega-wide panel - this panel will offer a massive 49" size, in a 32:9 aspect ratio which Samsung are referring to as a "Grand Circle" format. We knew about the plans to produce a panel like this back in January 2016, but more details are starting to emerge now which is good news. These are the current specs but could have course change between now and mass production. The resolution will be 3840 x 1080 (referred to as DFHD = double full HD). It will be a VA technology panel with a 1800R curvature and a 3-side frameless design. The panel will offer a high 5000:1 static contrast ratio which is pushing the CR beyond current Samsung VA panels in fact. Perhaps most interesting is that the panel will apparently support a 144Hz refresh rate, along with options for AMD FreeSync and NVIDIA G-sync. The panel is due to go in to mass production around September 2017

Personally I will avoid any type of edge lit local dimming monitor as it creates issues with certain scenes like the following:

g0XTkIH.png

Associate
WRT to split, you might find splitting them 30:70 rather than 50:50 better so the main window/forum is more centred. LG screens come with special software to allow a 3 windows snap, otherwise it's a bit fiddly. I just snap my two vertical windows, then drag them to 30:70 or so.

Thanks.

Associate
Wonder what the warranty on the Philips is? Hoping it's 5 years like their other monitors. If so will be the first UW with a sync tech and sensible warranty :)

Back
Top Bottom