Leased Lines for Business

Associate
I have been considering installing a leased line at my new employer’s office location, which is remote, we have no option for FTTC so now looking at these.

The few company’s I have chatted with are grand to produce quotes but haven’t been very forthcoming in how they go about installing this.

I would hate to get half way through the process to be told it’s a no go, so has anyone got one of these installed before and what was the process.

Soldato
IIRC - Openreach installs the line, ISP installs their NTE, you set up your equipment.

There will be a survey done before anything is set in stone.

Caporegime
You get a quote, you place an order, then a survey is done, then you get told how much it's going to cost to dig a fibre to you. You can decline this quote if you want and back out of the order process.

Associate
OP
I would take it as you are in Ireland that Eircom or Magnet would be primarily used... give my company a call as we have a partnership with Magnet in Ireland. Have a quick google for my employer - Southern Communications, speak to our Data Sales team and ask for Raj Miah.

Shawrey.

Location is actually Stichill in Kelso :)

You get a quote, you place an order, then a survey is done, then you get told how much it's going to cost to dig a fibre to you. You can decline this quote if you want and back out of the order process.

Thaats the thing, there is no menttion of any other costs other than the rental. So they arent very forthcoming with information sadly

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
If you don't feel like the relationship is working at the pre-sales stage in terms of keeping you informed then let them know, and look elsewhere.

Soldato

Thaats the thing, there is no menttion of any other costs other than the rental. So they arent very forthcoming with information sadly

Ours is provided by Internet for Business. A Scottish company from Aberdeen. We have been with them for years and rarely experience any downtime.

Associate
We got ours recently from Daisy Communication. Had a couple of flutters recently, but previous to that the uptime was 100% over 1 year.

Associate

I see! So we would be looking at an Openreach or Virgin Media tail.

We can calculate the rentals based on the bearer size and bandwidth required plus other 'Managed' items such as Cisco Router on a 100Mb bearer (Juniper on 1Gb bearer) and Firewalls etc.

Unfortunately, until the site survey is compiled by BT or Virgin we cannot tell if there is going to be ECC's (Excess Construction Charges) however, if there are charges and these be deemed too much, you are allowed to cancel the order without penalty. If no charges are identified the order proceeds automatically and if your company decided against going ahead with the order at any stage after this there would be a cancellation fee dependant on how far the order has progressed.

You would receive a full technical survey and if required, dependant on the technical survey, a call with one of our NOC team to identify any specific configuration that may be required to deliver you a bespoke solution.

Hope this helps.

Shawrey

Associate
OP
Thanks ShawreyBoy, was able to get a snap from the Openreach mapping tool showing where the ducting runs to and going by this the ECC should not be too off putting.

I have submitted a BC to CEO which he has liked so waiting on the current IT Dir to return from holidays for final approval.

Ended up with a nice quote from Aspire Technology Solutions so they are top of the list at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom