Neighbour kicking off

Soldato
It amazes me how neighbours allow petty matters to dominate their lives. We all have to get along, otherwise it's just a big pain and wasted effort in the long term.

I'm lucky, I have good relations with all my neighbours. I regularly cut the grass for the old girl next door. I voluntarily patched the other neighbours fence this year. I've filled a pothole in our shared driveway at no cost to them but myself. Of course, I walk on water in their eyes now but it's important to me that we maintain a good community in our little corner of the world. It certainly means I don't have frosty neighbours come shouting at me and making demands of me like op has.

Quoted for truth, I live on a corner plot so only have 1 actual neighbour ajoining but she's a 84 year old lady and yes she gets a little bit tiresome but honestly could be a lot worse (she's also quite ill at the moment been in hospital 2 weeks).

Like yourself I've cut her grass before and done other odd-jobs for her and when we were having our kitchen replaced she had us round for tea as we couldn't cook anything, certainly makes for a more peaceful existence.

Don
It amazes me how neighbours allow petty matters to dominate their lives. We all have to get along, otherwise it's just a big pain and wasted effort in the long term.

Indeed. My last neighbor used to complain that our floorboards squeaked and it was "driving her mad". She used to come round and tell us - and I'm not joking - to stop walking around in our kitchen.
I went round to her house and had a listen while my Mrs moved around. It was so quiet that I could barely hear anything unless she literally jumped up and down.
In the end she actually sold up and moved because I was making her life hell by having the audacity to move around in my house. I can only assume she has bought a house in the middle of a field.

Caporegime
Me and my neighbours seem to have an unspoken mutual agreement. If you don't bother me, I won't bother you. Has worked a treat so far, we get on fine. We have our parties till 3 in the morning and dont say anything when they have theirs.

As a teenager I lived in a house were our next door neighbours, although young, were both puritanical asses and moaned at the slightest thing. Any music past 10pm, even on a weekend was a no no with them and they'd come hammering on our door telling us to turn it down immediately. They would moan when we had a BBQ as the smell was making them feel sick, so we had to rush and close it down quickly.

Man of Honour
My neighbour is a bit odd. He's a gamer who bought a brand spanking new house but only uses one room of it (3 bedroom, 3 floor property), I spoke to him when he first moved in but that's it, he doesn't seem to have left the house since then. He's done no maintenance to the property at all, granted it's only 6 months old so doesn't need much but hasn't cut the grass, hasn't even turfed the back just full of weeds. He never answers the door, our parasol blew over in to his garden 2 months ago during the heavy winds, been trying to get it back since but he doesn't answer the door. He also likes to shout a lot at his girlfriend when she's round.

Thankfully though we don't hear him other than if we're outside and he's shouting. So could be worse

Soldato
I've found with one of my neighbours (the rest are awesome people full stop), that I just put stuff in writing to him.

I've had a number of issues, from moaning I'm parked too close to the kerb (!), that I've killed his plants by not cutting them back on my side where they've grown on the boundary, that I can't cut his ivy in the back garden that are ruining my fence panels, that my cast iron guttering fell and broke his back concrete door step (we don't have cast iron guttering)... The list goes on. Now I just put a note through the door - "I'm doing this, on this date and time" and I hear nothing back. Mental old man that's not worth arguing with, and probably better the devil you know.

(EDIT: I will add, that recently I've had to turn water off to our block, have been using and SDS drill on the adjoining wall to channel for electric and plumbing, have fitted a kitchen and not heard a peep. Seems he just likes to know what's going off, the nosey old troll :))

Associate
Indeed. My last neighbor used to complain that our floorboards squeaked and it was "driving her mad". She used to come round and tell us - and I'm not joking - to stop walking around in our kitchen.
I went round to her house and had a listen while my Mrs moved around. It was so quiet that I could barely hear anything unless she literally jumped up and down.
In the end she actually sold up and moved because I was making her life hell by having the audacity to move around in my house. I can only assume she has bought a house in the middle of a field.

Perhaps you walking around sounds like someone jumping up and down :o

:D

Caporegime
Lol i had a neighbour that screamed while playing his PlayStation. Full on cursing.
Soon followed by screaming at his wife.
They told me they were newly weds. They moved away after about 8 months. Marriage completely failed. Not really surprising, guy was a nutjob behind closed doors.

Man of Honour
Lol i had a neighbour that screamed while playing his PlayStation. Full on cursing.
Soon followed by screaming at his wife.
They told me they were newly weds. They moved away after about 8 months. Marriage completely failed. Not really surprising, guy was a nutjob behind closed doors.

Maybe he moved next to me :S

Soldato
OP
So the plot thickens.

Here is the finished product - https://imgur.com/a/TPzUa

It is all on our side, nothing protrudes over the fence and nothing is attached to the fence.

He just popped round to tell me that he's spoken to his planning friends and they've said that because of the proximity of the structure, it is not allowed.

Is there any substance to this or is he talking out of his backside?

Either way, I told him that if he wants to talk to me from now on, he can put it into a letter and post it through my door as I've simply had enough of him. He walked away with his tail between his legs.

Soldato
So the plot thickens.

It is all on our side, nothing protrudes over the fence and nothing is attached to the fence.

He just popped round to tell me that he's spoken to his planning friends and they've said that because of the proximity of the structure, it is not allowed.

Either way, I told him that if he wants to talk to me from now on, he can put it into a letter and post it through my door as I've simply had enough of him. He walked away with his tail between his legs.

If it's not attached to the fence, or overhanging his property, what is his issue? It's barely above fence height!

Associate
So the plot thickens.

he might have a point, within permitted development rights there are set things you can and cant do one being building closer to roads/ neighbours is one i think. but if he did talk to friends in planning i would think you would get a visit from them, telling you to remove it. you could just ring planning and ask them
also if the fence is his, there are laws about allowing access for maintenance-but i dont know what these are tbh

Soldato
This sort of thing is endemic of British living. Developers build pokey houses in plots too close to each ther, meaning when people invariably want more storage/space like the OP they end up encroaching on their neighbour.

It's utterly pathetic how people have been conditioned in to this way of living. Monumentally overpriced housing stock not compatible with a decent standard of living.

Out of interest what do you plan to use the lean to for?

Seems like a lot of hassle for such a small storage area.

That'd net £500 PCM in rental in London.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
So the plot thickens.

Within 2 metres of a boundary the maximum height of a shed or any other building is 2.5 metres, but that shed or building can be right up against the boundary.
Above that height, it must be 3 metres away from the boundary.
You don't look to be anywhere near that height, so I'd assume no issue.
Local rules might be different, but I don't see why.

Soldato
As a shed. Complete disused land down the side so made sense to utilise it.

Fair enough.

It does look extremely close to the fence but as long as you aren't touching it then I would have thought you'd be ok.

It's going to be a right pain to maintain if you can't get along though.

Back
Top Bottom