• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Caporegime
Matt should I pstate overclock or multi overclock?

I've tried both, but i prefer P State. The best thing about the CrossHair is this level of flexibility when overclocking.

With the recently introduced Ryzen Power Profile it does not really matter though as software won't see the processor downclock when you use this profile. Clock switching is handled purely by the CPU so although to software it appears as though it's in the highest clock state, inside the CPU it is idling at low frequency.

Caporegime
My P State overclock settings, no LLC applied. Idle voltage around 1.5v, load voltage 1.45v bang on.

BEd7kVd.jpg

0VFQr3j.jpg

On the CrossHair you only change the PID, the other values remain untouched and you must use CPU Offset to adjust voltage. If you touch the values below PID, then downclocking does not work.

New bios just been released that allows BCLK and P State overclocking together!

Soldato
Soldato
AMD's power plan sorts out issues wrongly attributed to the scheduler (it's to do with the way W10 'parks' cores) and give performance improvement of around 3-20% in games (most in 5-10% bracket): http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-balanced-power-plan-benchmarked_193344 . That's a heck of an improvement for a simple fix.
Or you could've just run on High Performance mode, but I guess this saves power compared to doing that so it's a nice improvement. Hopefully Microsoft will incorporate those changes into the OS itself at some point.

Associate
Or you could've just run on High Performance mode, but I guess this saves power compared to doing that so it's a nice improvement. Hopefully Microsoft will incorporate those changes into the OS itself at some point.
No point for Microsoft if AMD is going to add it to their chipset drivers package soon:)

Soldato
On my X99 system, high performance makes a big difference vs balanced in certain games too e.g. load times are much shorter in Doom and FPS is higher in Tyranny. I don't know whether that's because I've been having issues with it though.

Soldato
With the new power plan, I presume people now won't bother with pstate overclocking as cores now correctly idle? If software doesn't show this, is the only way to know if this is working via the bios?

Associate

Unfortunately for myself (and some others I've seen on Reddit) this isn't working for me, in that after I install it it just doesn't show up as an available Power Plan, although it does show in the Provisioning Package list. For now I guess I'll just keep switching back and forth between Balanced and Performance with a couple batch files I have on my Desktop.

Soldato
Unfortunately for myself (and some others I've seen on Reddit) this isn't working for me, in that after I install it it just doesn't show up as an available Power Plan, although it does show in the Provisioning Package list. For now I guess I'll just keep switching back and forth between Balanced and Performance with a couple batch files I have on my Desktop.

Restart?

Associate

Yeah, tried a restart, as well as the solution offered by AMD_Robert in the Reddit post where some people where having issues, where he described how to uninstall it, said to restart and then reinstall it to see if it worked. No dice for me.

Hi, all. I see that a few of you are having trouble installing the .ppkg file. I'm looking into this and will provide an update when I know more. :)

//EDIT:

As a short-term solution, you can remove the provisioning package and delete the power plan. Reboot and reinstall. You can also perform additional cleanup by deleting:

• C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Provisioning\{d3c94476-1550-4f65-942f-258753d6815a}

• %localappdata%\Temp\ProvisioningPkgTmp\{d3c94476-1550-4f65-942f-258753d6815a}

Associate
Is there really much of an advantage using the Ryzen power plan compared to the high performance power plan? The AMD blog shows the biggest gains are generally when using the high performance plan which we were using anyway?

Soldato
Is there really much of an advantage using the Ryzen power plan compared to the high performance power plan? The AMD blog shows the biggest gains are generally when using the high performance plan which we were using anyway?

You'll be using a lot more power on high performance mode. So if your games are all running at over 60fps minimums and your monitor is 60Hz there's no benefit.

Soldato
You'll be using a lot more power on high performance mode. So if your games are all running at over 60fps minimums and your monitor is 60Hz there's no benefit.

not entirely true. There can be plenty of benefit running above the refresh rate of your monitor the most important one would be input lag reduction.

Soldato
So i have been reading this thread with interest and im definitely going to get a 1700 but i really want a decent Matx mobo, are there any plans to release something like the gigabyte sniper or the asus Gene, i cant see any point in getting one of the cheaper under performing ones as i will have an upgrade path for future revisions.
Also has all the performance been gained from MS updates or do you think there is more to come, ive noticed the Mobo bios updates have made improvements (with RAM speeds) but is there going to be a 5-10% increase once the core scheduling is sorted in win10?
Honestly coming from a 3770K the doubling of cores (and higher IPC) has me actually excited for the upgrade for the first time in years, its a bit like the first time i bought a quad core.

Back
Top Bottom