To emigrate, or just move down South...

Associate
Iceland has a very small population It was the country that stood up to the banks - Lucky they were not taken over by the Banking/ Military/ industrial s that run and buy the Presidents in the USA . Has real democracy and social justice However it is a bit on the barren side. I myself would be taking the Iceland option as one can always go to somewhere else in the UK . Check it out. Plenty of nice fresh fish so yer brain can get plenty of nourishment!

Soldato
OP
Iceland is a great, usual looking place, having briefly visited two ports during a Princess cruise a few years back. But those very long, dark winters would destroy me, as an SAD sufferer.

Don't forget to NOT tip any staff, they see it an an extreme insult.;)

Quite a common issue and I believe the reason why there is a high suicide rate over here!

I enjoy the darkness. I enjoy the summer days too just as much but i'm quite happy in the dark too so I don't mind that. But it is/would be an issue for many!

Yeah I'm getting a bit of a mix when it comes to meeting people.
Some expats from the UK, some from US/Canada and EU - and also trying to meet plenty locals.

There are meet site I've joined so just joining or creating groups for walking, dining/drinking, and all that and anyone can RSVP to these.

I''m trying to see if they have a local squash league - if not maybe I can start one myself! That's what I've missed the most so far - was 5 times a week back home.
but a mix of expats and locals go to the slopes once a week at least so asked if I an sign out my boarding gear from my container without taking the rest of my stuff!!

Edit: Am I blind or does a Mod have to change the thread title?

Soldato
OP
Well I've had my 1st month here now. It's been pretty awesome I have to say.

As per what I had heard about the ladies here...well...it's been the perfect place to help move on from my wife leaving I'll say that much.
I thought people were just winding me up but they really are so forward about what they want. haha.

Days are getting longer too so starting to get out and see more of the country.

Ended up finding a nice large apartment in a good location which is now all set up with new furniture plus items I shipped over.

I miss some people from the UK but the locals are very nice so it's quite easy to make new friends here.

Soldato

As per what I had heard about the ladies here...well...it's been the perfect place to help move on from my wife leaving I'll say that much.
I thought people were just winding me up but they really are so forward about what they want. haha.

Ended up finding a nice large apartment in a good location which is now all set up with new furniture plus items I shipped over.

I miss some people from the UK but the locals are very nice so it's quite easy to make new friends here.

How expensive is the cost of living in Iceland compared to the UK?

FTM

FTM

Soldato

well done you!

I dream of trout and salmon fishing in iceland! live volcanoes, geothermal power..its all so damn interesting (I'm married so wont comment of the tall beautiful icelandic girls who all seem to enjoy an outdoor lifestyle)

Soldato
OP
Depends what you're used for the cost of living - but it's generally higher!
Coming from the North East, I find the costs are a lot higher - but the wage is also a lot higher.

I was given about £17000 a year more to come here for a similar position but i'm left with about the same amount per month due to the 40% tax, insane rent pcm and the cost of food can be high if you don't look around at what you're buying. So it's all relative really.

I'm excited to explore the outdoors some more and the geology of the country is fascinating so that should be fun. It's mostly just been drinking, finding an apartment and working so far. They are obsessed with drinking here....I thought the UK was bad for it!!

Soldato
OP
Interesting bonus I never really thought of about living in a popular tourist spot.

I'm meeting people from all over the world and it's creating opportunities to follow my passion of exploring the world and travelling.

Obviously where I grew up was a dead beat town in nowhere anyone cared about so never thought about this at all.

Hurricane warnings today though so it's not all + points. haha.

Soldato
I left 2 years ago and not regretted it for a minute.

The only things I'll admit to missing is Waitrose/Marks and Spencer, a nice pint in a smoky old back street pub full of old men staring into their beers on a rainy Sunday afternoon. And snooker on TV.

You can keep the rest of it.

Soldato
OP
Wow I can't believe it's already been well over 1 year. I'm still here and still enjoying it.
Although I now have plans to move on maybe later this year or in 2018.

My girlfriend is from Ukraine but has been here 10 years so I'm just really seeing what she thinks about moving from Iceland. I quote fancy Switzerland or just go for a year in Asia. She live 12 months in Japan and loved it.

Unfortunately I think the insane rise in tourism here is changing the country but the scenery is still amazing and no matter how many places I go to there is always more to see away from the normal tourist spots.
I'll have to document some sort of photo collection of some of the places but my photos are usually pretty poor compared to those who are into photography.

But It's been a fascinating 14 months so far.
I still can't get over the cost of everything and I nearly cried when I calculated my annual rent and converted back into £ (helped by the weak £ the figure was INSANE!)

Soldato
Making an assumption but does it cost a lot cause they have to import almost everything.
Plus I've always wanted to know, is it mostly black rocks everywhere, does grass grow on it, and is there mud? (being a mostly volcanoes etc)

Soldato
OP
I think import has something to do with it but it can't possibly account for most of the prices here. For me, many items seem to be 4 or 5x the price of the UK for very little reason - although it's possible there are many reasons I just know nothing about.
But it obviously is a factor because I find fish more reasonably priced because it's all local. and if you look around carefully you can get some OK deals on some things.

Not really any mud like what the UK has. It's mostly very small ground up rocks/stones making it very sandy like texture. I tried to go mountain biking in Kleifervatn near where I live and it was impossible to get up any of the inclines due to how soft the ground as. More Moss than grass in most places. Grass and flowers do grow but how long for depends. Last year from early April until September the weather was clear skies and sunny 90% of the time with 16C
This year...no sign of it happening yet. It's still -C most nights and was snowing on Monday

One thing I love is how much the landscapes change with the seasons though.

Back
Top Bottom