Holiday to Dubai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
We are going on holiday to Dubai on may the 1st, I was wondering if many people on here had been, or have any tips and ideas for things to do while there? Also, I believe they use the same plugs as the uk, I wonder if the electricals are any cheaper than here?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Soldato
Went last may, you do know its the hottest time of year don't you? hope your used to incredible humidity!

aside from that things to do...

Dubai mall
Burj Khalifa
Desert Sundown Safari
The Palm
Atlantis Hotel
Tea/Coffee at top of burj al arab

Soldato
Some people won't agree, but Dubai is an amazing city. I was there in January 2016, it was comfortable then. Ironically, our flight was delayed inbound due to heavy rain, they had to shut the airport :o.
There's absolutely tonnes to do in Dubai, as the one said, there's also ski dubai, go dune bashing, legoland dubai has recently opened iirc, make sure you visit the creek and Deira for the gold too.

You will spend a full day in Dubai mall, although the electronic stores are all on the 4th floor if i remember correctly, it's pretty much a full floor of shops like currys lol. Things are a little cheaper but not worth it imo. For example, i was looking for a new laptop at the time, but they all had arabic on the keys as you'd expect. That will have issues if you wish to sell on in the future. If supercars are your thing, there will be loads outside dubai mall.

Taxis are dirt cheap too, we travelled everywhere by taxi, even back to the airport. We got a taxi from our hotel on Shiek Zayed road all the way to an outlet mall near the desert, it was about 30km, and it cost us £10.

You are correct also that they do use the same plugs as us so no need for an adapter.

You will have a great time, though i don't envy you going this time of year, it'll be so hot!

Associate
Could I ask:
If you wanted to visit the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi, when visiting Dubai.
What is the best way to get there, car rental or some kind of public transport?
Would it be best to stay in the area overnight or can you get there and back easily (if staying after sunset)?
And finally, what is the dress code? Any coloured clothing/footwear not allowed?

Thank you.

Soldato
Seen some things online saying some places are 2 pin plug? Is that not very common then / misinformation and it is in fact mainly 3-pin UK plugs?

Soldato
Could I ask:
If you wanted to visit the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi, when visiting Dubai.
What is the best way to get there, car rental or some kind of public transport?
Would it be best to stay in the area overnight or can you get there and back easily (if staying after sunset)?
And finally, what is the dress code? Any coloured clothing/footwear not allowed?

Thank you.

When I went the mosque I wore jeans and a tshirt but if you want they lend you a traditional thobe (Long robe)

Associate
I'd hire a car to get to the mosque, it's a decent drive and you'll want the freedom to go/leave when you want. We just went there for the mosque and then drove back so not sure what else is around there - you could try yas marina though.

Soldato
I'd hire a car to get to the mosque, it's a decent drive and you'll want the freedom to go/leave when you want. We just went there for the mosque and then drove back so not sure what else is around there - you could try yas marina though.
Cool thanks! Yeah seems to be Emirates Palace too... 8 star hotel lol that is open to wander around and seems nice

And Ferrari world

Associate
When I went the mosque I wore jeans and a tshirt but if you want they lend you a traditional thobe (Long robe)

Thank you very much :)

Associate

Just be careful about clothing. And watch how you behave, particular if eyeing up girls. Probably best if you keep your eyes completely off girls actually. If a guy even thinks you're trying to hit on his girl, you'll likely end up with every bone in your body broken. Even just your hand moving to put your mobile in your pocket can be a red flag, particularly if your hand moves past your crotch, or if it looks like you're playing with your bits once your hand is in your pocket.

Associate
Just be careful about clothing. And watch how you behave, particular if eyeing up girls. Probably best if you keep your eyes completely off girls actually. If a guy even thinks you're trying to hit on his girl, you'll likely end up with every bone in your body broken. Even just your hand moving to put your mobile in your pocket can be a red flag, particularly if your hand moves past your crotch, or if it looks like you're playing with your bits once your hand is in your pocket.
Thanks for the info.
I'm a true Gentlemen and I'd respect their beliefs 'n ****.
I'd be visiting to take photos of the architecture. So as long as they allow cameras and tripods, that's all the matters to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Some of the infrastructure seems nice, there are plenty of not so nice aspects to the place though - modern slavery is pretty common and you don't want to upset any local emirates. On the other hand, assuming you're white, you'll enjoy some level of status there just below that of an Arab. It is the workers from Asia who really get a raw deal in that place.

Associate
Ive lived in Dubai for the last 2.5 years, weather will be hot but not peak humidity by then, end of may is when it really kicks in and also this year - Ramadan too. Weathers been pretty mild so far this year thanks to a lot of rain and thunderstorms recently (.... thanks to cloud seeding)

You wont upset anyone here unless you go out of your way to do it, not least the Emiratis who are very relaxed.

Clothing wise anything really is grand, shorts and tshirt for guys to most places is 100% grand, just be careful of the jump from hot to cold (ac) as it can make people unwell adjusting so many times if not used to it.

Best area to stay in will vastly depend on your budget and what you want to do. Taxi's are cheap, rental cars are ok'ish but if youre doing a lot of driving then it works out better. If doing the grand mosque then would recommend to get a hotel for a night in Abu Dhabi and do some things there too, Yas Marina, Emirates Palace, Rays Bar in the top of the Etihad towers etc.

Soldato
Respect the local laws and customs, but don't be so worried about things that it spoils your trip. It's not as backward as some people make out. Take a trip up the road to Ras al khaimah if you want a change of pace. Oh, and avoid The York hotel...seriously.

Soldato
Youll do more drinking in dubai than anywhere else in the world. I thought Ireland was fond of a drink...

Not at about £9 a glass lol. You can't just walk into a bar in Dubai, you need to know where they are, you don't just 'pass' then on your travels. They are hidden at the top of buildings, or in cellars at the back of hotels etc. Our hotel didn't even have a bar (millenium plaza). We ended up at the top of Sheraton four point, which had amazing views over the city to be fair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom