• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
If you want to spend a bit more get one of the big two Taichi or Asus Hero.

The Asus Prime Pro I have is good.... but there are losts of BIOS issues that need resolving. At least it seems Asus are on it and we should get some BIOS updates over the coming months. But at present there are ram issues and I also get an issue where my SSD disappears.

---

I probably should have spent a bit more considering the AM4 platform is going to be around for the next 3-4 years and got a bit more of an expensive board. However the Prime Pro is actually very good. But only if eventually it allows me to set my ram to the DOCP profile and run it at 3200Mhz. Also if the issues with my SSD disappearing in the BIOS get fixed I will be a very happy customer.

---

Just to put this in to perspective it's only been a month!

I just can't justify a high end board unless I am getting a high-end chip. The 6c/12t R5 1600 is most likely what I'll go, and possibly squeezing another 100 to 200mhz out of a chip just isn't worth the extra from a 100 dollar board, to a 200+ board in my opinion. If I got an 1800x or it was shown to get say 4.3ghz using a top end board, then it might be worth it, but right now, there seems to be very little between them overclocking wise tbh. I don't need the feature set of an x370 either.

The Asus Prime/Pro I just keep hearing issue with it so I have stayed clear so far. I'm keen on the B350 Asrock boards, but wary of the details on their VRM's. I also like the MSI Tomahawk, but am waiting to see if they get themselves together with the AGESA updates (It seems like they bricked a few boards thanks to bad microcode, so someone higher up told them to be more careful... I don't honestly think it is a lack of support, just a more caution with Beta BIOS's).

Saying all that, I am actually curious about the X370GT7, but it is indeed a little more expensive than I wanted, and I had kinda hoped they would have released a B350GT7 with the digital VRM control :(

Soldato
Yea, that 1600 looks a great chip, good all-rounder
Yeah, and probably pretty much the same gaming performance as the R7 as half the cores or more are sitting idle on that, the R3 will probably match it in at least half the games tested.

More importantly,is that power draw should hopefully be less,so you can get away with cheaper motherboard and with less cores to feed hopefully you can use slower and cheaper RAM to get optimal results too.

Soldato
I just can't justify a high end board unless I am getting a high-end chip. The 6c/12t R5 1600 is most likely what I'll go, and possibly squeezing another 100 to 200mhz out of a chip just isn't worth the extra from a 100 dollar board, to a 200+ board in my opinion. If I got an 1800x or it was shown to get say 4.3ghz using a top end board, then it might be worth it, but right now, there seems to be very little between them overclocking wise tbh. I don't need the feature set of an x370 either.

It's mainly the support and speeds of updates that separate the higher and lower end boards at the moment which of course which is what everyone wants. Also the vrm temps on b350 are a little worrying and i don't know how they'd stand up for long term use.

Soldato
It's mainly the support and speeds of updates that separate the higher and lower end boards at the moment which of course which is what everyone wants. Also the vrm temps on b350 are a little worrying and i don't know how they'd stand up for long term use.

Yeah, that is what I am a little concerned with. I'm actually looking at the Asrock X370 Gaming K4 as that should be better, and one of the cheaper X370 boards, but should hopefully be better overall with VRM's. I will see what is available at the time.

Soldato

The VRM temperatures will be with overclocked R7 CPUs,with something like an R5 it should draw less power,and probably be less taxing on the VRMs. It was the same with the FX83** against the FX63** too,and so on.

Soldato
Yeah, that is what I am a little concerned with. I'm actually looking at the Asrock X370 Gaming K4 as that should be better, and one of the cheaper X370 boards, but should hopefully be better overall with VRM's. I will see what is available at the time.
I've not heard anyone say anything bad about asrock and ryzen tbh. I had an asrock z170 board and it was solid. The z97 before that was just as good.

Soldato

The Asus Prime/Pro I just keep hearing issue with it so I have stayed clear so far. I'm keen on the B350 Asrock boards, but wary of the details on their VRM's. I also like the MSI Tomahawk, but am waiting to see if they get themselves together with the AGESA updates (It seems like they bricked a few boards thanks to bad microcode, so someone higher up told them to be more careful... I don't honestly think it is a lack of support, just a more caution with Beta BIOS's).

Saying all that, I am actually curious about the X370GT7, but it is indeed a little more expensive than I wanted, and I had kinda hoped they would have released a B350GT7 with the digital VRM control :(

My suggestion is just get the 1700 chip. For me the extra 2 physical cores and 4 threads is worth it. Completely up to you at the end of the day, but that's what I went for.

Associate
Anyone interested at RAM speeds and a flick over this https://community.amd.com/message/2790538#comment-2790538

Overall, going from CL16 at 2133Mhz to C14 at 3200 MHz increased my fps in Gears 4 by 25%

CPUZ Benchmark

Newest Score!!!

15-15-15-32-63-2T Multi-Threaded Benchmark Score: 20711

Previous Score

15-16-16-34-63-2T Multi-Threaded Benchmark Score: 20681

Original Score

16-16-16-39-63-2T Multi-Threaded Benchmark Score: 20133

EDIT: My 1700 4.1Ghz 2666Mhz RAM hit 21309.

66hrxcQ.png

Last edited:
Soldato
My suggestion is just get the 1700 chip. For me the extra 2 physical cores and 4 threads is worth it. Completely up to you at the end of the day, but that's what I went for.

I would love the 1700, it is a very very good deal, especially as I want to make easier work of my amateur paintball videos I make (just action cam stuff to be edited, nothing special). Reality is an R5 for me though tbh.

Associate
Even though Zen is already an amazing performer, especially per £, I have to say I'm very interested to see how Zen+ turns out.

If the 7nm process is better, and can handle ~4.5 GHz, and they also get support for 4000+ MHz RAM, it's going to turn out to be a monster.

Associate
Even though Zen is already an amazing performer, especially per £, I have to say I'm very interested to see how Zen+ turns out.

If the 7nm process is better, and can handle ~4.5 GHz, and they also get support for 4000+ MHz RAM, it's going to turn out to be a monster.

Zen+ should be coming out in 2018 so it will probably be a 14nm chip again but on a more refined process. I am planning to upgrade to a Zen+ of an Intel hexa-core in 2018 so hopefully it will turn out the monster your are predicting it will be.

Soldato

Zen+ 1600 at 4.5gh'z would be incredible, if they can really bring those temps down with the refinement, they could have the enthusiast market sown up for a few years.

Back
Top Bottom