Sony A5000 or something else?

Soldato
I am looking at getting a decent compact camera.

I want a decent camera as now I have all the big life decisions out the way we are throwing money at decent holidays and travelling a lot more visiting new places.

Watched a lot of reviews online and a lot of people seem to really like the Sony A5000

and I can pick it up for around £290.

Anyone got any views on this camera in the real world scenario or recommend any others? in the same price bracket

Associate
It takes excellent images, same as the Sony A6000. It's shortcomings would be the lower quality display and lack of EVF, still a killer camera and really small. I learned on the A5000 and although I have an A6000 and an A7 I still wong part with my A5000.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Generally in the CSC market you'll find two camps; one Sony and the other Fuji. Before making the decision also checkout the Fuji X-T10 which is more than a capable camera, plenty of reviews out there...

Caporegime
Knock knock. Who's there? Micro Four Thirds.
I was going to say, only true if you miss out the most complete CSC system with the most lenses and cameras. And the only viable system if you really want to go small and light. Fuji sells a fraction if the camera Olympus and Panasonic do.

Soldato
One thing to consider about the Sony a5000,lens can be quite expensive for a good one,there are some good cheap ones like the sigma 19mm 2.8 but it all depends on if you want a zoom or not.

Soldato
OP
Knock knock. Who's there? Micro Four Thirds.

what does this mean? I'm no camera pro :)

One thing to consider about the Sony a5000,lens can be quite expensive for a good one,there are some good cheap ones like the sigma 19mm 2.8 but it all depends on if you want a zoom or not.

just wanting a decent point and shoot for now with the option of additional lenses at a later stage

JL are doing the panasonic G80 for 670 if u price match smartly.

bit of a price jump from a £290 camera up to £670

Soldato
what does this mean? I'm no camera pro :)

Just in reply to Zaf suggesting that there is only Sony and Fuji to choose from in the CSC market, when Micro Four Thirds (Olympus and Panasonic) is bigger than both in terms of market share, lens line up, camera bodies, etc. Micro Four Thirds is the original CSC system, coming out 3 years before the Sony E mount and 4 years before the first Fuji X-Mount.

It's a very worthwhile option and should definitely be looked at. Sony's E-mount lens lineup is terrible in comparison.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Just in reply to Zaf suggesting that there is only Sony and Fuji to choose from in the CSC market, when Micro Four Thirds (Olympus and Panasonic) is bigger than both in terms of market share, lens line up, camera bodies, etc. Micro Four Thirds is the original CSC system, coming out 3 years before the Sony E mount and 4 years before the first Fuji X-Mount.

It's a very worthwhile option and should definitely be looked at. Sony's E-mount lens lineup is terrible in comparison.

Sorry I should have been more specific and mentioned sensor size...

Seriously though, regardless of the points you mention above, why would you go Micro Four Thirds when you can pick up a second hand Fuji X-T10 with an APS-C sensor for practically the same price and also have some of the sharpest lenses available on the market today.

Soldato
Firstly, sensor size isn't everything and hasn't been for years.

Secondly, because regardless of the few great (and expensive) lenses that the Fuji X system has, m43 has just as many and more and they're often cheaper, smaller and lighter.

Many of the APS-C lenses for Sony E and Fuji X are actually bigger than the equivalents for Canon and Nikon APS-C, and lack IS (a serious issue with Fuji in particular) which defeats the purpose when trying to buy a compact mirrorless camera.

The Sony E and Fuji X systems are great if they work for you, but to consider them in isolation is just foolish when m43 offers so much.

Back
Top Bottom