Getting Married in June - Pre Nups / Advice

Man of Honour
So many skinflints threads of late, surprised at how many manage to even get a partner in the first place with so little trust.
The threads have pretty much been about the same subject over several threads. I'm seeing a similar change in attitude across my friends and family too. I think men are just wising up. Some may agree with it and others won't. But each person has to find their own path in life.

Man of Honour
but presumably, like most people, you're not in the situation where one would be warranted - if you were then perhaps you'd view it differently... I mean say you were a farmer and might be forced to sell off your farm for example

That would be unlikely as that is your profession to make a living. However if a banker with lots of assets in either cash, stocks or property for example then liquidation of those would make sense, as it doesn't mean you can't earn. You'll just have to start again.

If I were that way inclined I'd just never divulge my offshore interests or assets. Rather than fuss over a prenup.

I can understand it for men or women that are in position of power or influence to protect themselves, but it does depress me somewhat that it even has to be considered. I know life isn't happy clappy as I'd like it to be. It is the human way. It doesn't stop it being a bit glum to accept.

Caporegime
I can understand it for men or women that are in position of power or influence to protect themselves, but it does depress me somewhat that it even has to be considered. I know life isn't happy clappy as I'd like it to be. It is the human way. It doesn't stop it being a bit glum to accept.

Those at that level seem the least likely to sign prenups and are more likely or at least have more opportunities to be unfaithful.

If you've watched house of cards I imagine that's pretty close to the truth with how power couples deal with it.

Caporegime
It was obviously a reply to the posts about looking at wedding vows rather than pre-nup agreements.

The traditional wedding vows have the wife swear to honour and obey the husband and the husband swear to worship the wife. Anyone who claims to believe that wedding vows are the only thing that matters should be demanding obedience to those vows.
The "obey" gets left out a lot these days. The rest doesn't seem that controversial to me, but then I've made it to 13 years of marriage without getting divorced or constantly panicking about mah moneyz.

Caporegime
That would be unlikely as that is your profession to make a living. However if a banker with lots of assets in either cash, stocks or property for example then liquidation of those would make sense, as it doesn't mean you can't earn. You'll just have to start again.

If I were that way inclined I'd just never divulge my offshore interests or assets. Rather than fuss over a prenup.

I agree with the sentiment but it is still prudent tbh.. I was thinking more like the cited example earlier of the heiress protecting her family fortune - I mean that is the sort of thing that someone would perhaps look to protect. Bankers are a bit different as they'll often earn their wealth during the relationship. Farming land is often passed down and while I think you're right in that outright selling the farm is rare there is still potentially the need to pay out several million and some large maintenance payments in some cases. My main point was just that it is all well and good not agreeing with prenups if you're not in a position to really need one in the first place, it must be rather different for some of the people out there who are in a position where they'd quite sensibly want some legal protection.

Man of Honour
I agree with the sentiment but it is still prudent tbh.. I was thinking more like the cited example earlier of the heiress protecting her family fortune - I mean that is the sort of thing that someone would perhaps look to protect. Bankers are a bit different as they'll often earn their wealth during the relationship. Farming land is often passed down and while I think you're right in that outright selling the farm is rare there is still potentially the need to pay out several million and some large maintenance payments in some cases. My main point was just that it is all well and good not agreeing with prenups if you're not in a position to really need one in the first place, it must be rather different for some of the people out there who are in a position where they'd quite sensibly want some legal protection.

I didn't mean to sound as though I was disagreeing with you as what you say is probably fairly accurate. Just giving my take on it. :)

Caporegime
If you're looking a prenup then the marriage is over before it has begun. Lack of trust will kill it off.

It doesn't matter how much trust you have. Obviously no one expects their marriage to ever end, but it can and does happen often, and you can bet your ass the claws immediately come out for the money once it does. Might as well protect yourself just in case.

Caporegime
It's rare to see sta
Hi all,

Getting married in June, looking at prenups as I have quite a bit of property that I want to keep if things go wrong.

Been together for 15 years, 2 kids, so I suppose I'm pretty *** swearing should be fully starred out, especially that word *** already but want to know if anyone here created pre-nups, or how I can put measures in to reducing the financial raping I will no doubt get.

SBK
It's rare to see statistics happening before your very eyes but here we are :/

Man of Honour
It doesn't matter how much trust you have. Obviously no one expects their marriage to ever end, but it can and does happen often, and you can bet your ass the claws immediately come out for the money once it does. Might as well protect yourself just in case.

Being together so long and having kids, they'll just tear up any pre-nup. It'll be irrelevant. Her and the kids welfare will be priority in a split.

Soldato
pretty much this. they have 2 kids already. been together 15 years. as soon as they get married regardless of what the pre-nup says she gets half.

he needs to stick all his assets into a company if he wishes to keep them. there is no point saying he is smart getting a pre-nup as it's worth nothing in this situation.
How is sticking his assets in a company going to protect him? Unless the company is owned by a 3rd party he can trust she will be entitled to his share of the company and all of its assets.

Caporegime
How is sticking his assets in a company going to protect him? Unless the company is owned by a 3rd party he can trust she will be entitled to his share of the company and all of its assets.

an estate trust type situation like that guy who inherited £11 billion last year. i imagine that is protected from divorce.

Associate
Im not sure a pre nup is a sign of trust issues. Would you trust a raging soon to be ex wife not to fleece you for everything you ever had if there was anything worth taking?

You shouldn’t base your decision on this on how things are when the going is good.

That said I would expect most women to have a problem with a pre nup to the point where I’d tread VERY carefully suggesting it

Back
Top Bottom