• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5 1600/Ryzen 7 1700 or i7 7600k/7700k for Gaming.

Associate
Soldato
I'd go 1600 overclocked. You can drop a Zen+ in later down the line (or even a Zen++ 7nm)

Intel will change the socket again, it's what they do :p

Good reason to go top end board, more then likely new board chips will launch but you'd still have high VRM count with old flagships :)

My 7600k does 5.1@ 1.32 volts but can't handle 5.2 at any volts which is a shame

Associate
OP
Going to be ordering my parts within the next week or two so need to make some sort of decision. Leaning towards Ryzen at the moment but just hope I don't regret it! I like the fact the cooler that comes with the Ryzens is decent as well for overclocking which will save me some money. My budget is around 1200 quid there or there abouts for my new build. Any other input to help me make my mind up would be appreciated.

Soldato
6c/12t 1600 ordered as gaming and various stuff will be great with it.
its a steal, half price vs Intels so deal of the decade for me

Associate
Hi, so I am at the stage where I am going to be buying a new gaming PC, I'm wanting to upgrade pretty much everything in my current set up, so much so I'm thinking of just selling my current PC and buying a whole new build as then I can put that money that I get towards my new PC.

Anyway, I am going to be using it pretty much just for gaming, I currently have an i5 3570k but that stutters on more CPU intensive games like Arma, Rust etc. I have heard that Ryzen does well at providing very smooth gameplay? I know that I may not get as many frames as I would with the i7 but for me smoothness is just as big of a factor as frames, my current i5 stutters a lot in certain games so I really want to eliminate that if I upgrade.

I like the fact that Ryzen will allow me to upgrade more easily in the future as well, I wont have to change motherboards etc so that is a big plus for me but I've read that i7 7600/7700 really are what you should be getting if you're using your PC just for gaming.

Obviously the price of Ryzen 5 1600 is great as well but my question is, is it a big enough performance boost to justify upgrading my CPU from an i5 3570k? Will it be smoother? If not then I'd rather pay more money to go for the i7's or the the Ryzen 7 1700.

So confused on what I should go for, as you can probably tell haha. I should add that currently I play only at 1080p 144hz but somewhere down the line I will be getting a 1440p screen so that should come in to play with my decision as well.

I was also thinking of pairing it with a GTX 1080 or 1070 or maybe an RX 580 depending on what the performance is like when it comes out.

Sorry for rambling on but I really need some advice. Would appreciate any help.

Cheers!

I had the same dilemma was all set on on the 7700k then Ryzen came. In the end i went 7700k. Why? Faster clock speeds still important for many games, Intel platform is fully fleshed out and works with no problems out the box and if i want i can swap mb and CPU in 3 to 4 years, I'm happy to do that.
It comes down to preference though depending on what you want now and what you want to do on your PC

Back
Top Bottom