• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you buy a second hand GPU

Associate
I really cant remember when last I bought a new piece of hardware. As far as graphics cards go I normally just go for EVGA due to their "guest warranty" program.

As far as buying second hand, just make sure you buy from a reputable seller, pay via paypal (non gift) if possible and find out about any remaining warranty..

Soldato
I've had a mixture of new and used GPU's. For your budget you should be able to get a 980ti.

I personally wouldn't buy from ebay even though I buy a lot off there. I would and have bought off here and avforums.

Soldato
The worst 2nd hand GPU I bought of Ebay was completely choked up with dust and stank like an ash tray. I took a gamble as it was very cheap and was still described as working so had some recourse.

After stripping and cleaning it worked perfectly OK for a couple of years. Recently I bought 12 RX 470/480s all B Grade from OCUK or 2nd hand off Ebay and all less than £160 and not had an issue with any of them.

Just pick the buyers with decent feedback and recent activity.

Soldato
Have done so and would do again, although as it turned out the card I got was a warranty replacement so actually not second hand. It didn't work so the seer helped me fully with the RMA. I did eventually get a working card.

My choice at my price range was rx460 or gtx970. The 970 is so much faster.

Caporegime
My GTX480 was second hand along with both my GTX 580's that replaced it and my current 780ti, I'm looking for a 1070 next - it won't be new.

If GPU prices were more realistic I'd rather buy new, they aren't.

Permabanned
Brought a used 980TI about 9 months ago and I'm very happy with it, it arrived in perfect condition.

As above I intended to buy a new one but prices are too high at the minute and I'm not willing to pay them.

Soldato
Depends where I'm buying it from. The members market here? Absolutely. Any day of the week. I've used the MM for... probably about 15 years. 1 bad purchase.

I think there's generally always some part of my main rig that's from the MM. Currently: PSU (Seasonic Z-series 1250w for £75) and monitor (perfect Asus RoG Swift PG278Q for £330). Can't go wrong :)

You'll find plenty of 980ti's up at the moment, £200 is a cracking price for a decent maxwell.

Associate
Most of my graphics cards have been from ebay, and I've not had a problem so far.

I only go for auctions here they have the box, and the card is pictured on a ESD bag.

If they know enough to do that, and they've kept on to the box, it's a good sign for me.

Associate
My last 3 have been used from here and they all worked perfectly, my 970 sli went back on here for sale and the 1080 I got to replace them will go for sale on the MM as soon as my 1080ti arrives, its the circle of life :)

Soldato
I buy all my parts second hand, usually from the members market as the prices are better than on ebay. You get a better idea of people on here and with the stricter access criteria you don't get many people trying it on. All my purchases have gone swimmingly until my last one which was shipped out faulty and with a bodged repair. The seller said he didn't know about it but i got it working so all ended well..... although i'd have sent the buyer a little bit of cash back if it was me as they shouldn't have to buy stuff to fix/get a card working.

Soldato
Price id be paying used is around £250
Reason I ask is because I'm not sure if a older 980 will be better than a newer 480RX or 1060
I got a 980Ti for £265. Performance is somewhere between a 1070 and 1080.

By comparison, I bought my 780 new at £450-odd... After just under 3 years, it's worth less than a hundred quid. That hurts.
I won't ever buy new stuff like that again, if I can help it. 2nd hand means it's been tested, silicon lotteried, RMA'd and all the niggles will have been shouldered by someone with more money and time than me, too.

Associate
I normally get second-hand GPUs as you don't have to be running the very latest gen to get a solid gaming experience. 980ti prices are very decent at the moment when compared to a GTX1070. The only problem is pricing in the MM can sometimes be hit and miss.

Back
Top Bottom