Supplements the debate/discussion thread

Soldato
Are you just taking the normal 3-5mg or doing some sort of micro-loading? Is it just pure mono? Assuming adequate hydration I'm not sure what mechanism of action would cause a headache.

I took 3 pills of the below with my morning breakfast. No loading phase. I get enough water for the day.

https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/creatine-monohydrate/10575029.html

Maybe ill try some Creapure and see if that's any different. I really wanted to take this on the regular as the guys in the gym swear by it.

Man of Honour
I took 3 pills of the below with my morning breakfast. No loading phase. I get enough water for the day.

https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/creatine-monohydrate/10575029.html

Maybe ill try some Creapure and see if that's any different. I really wanted to take this on the regular as the guys in the gym swear by it.

How interesting.

And taking it because the guys in the gym swear by it isn't the greatest reason to do it; do it because you know what it does, rather than... whatever else.

Creatine isn't a magic supplement for anything so don't feel bad about not taking it.

Creatine can have side effects that don't stem from dehydration, but they are not common. At a guess, you probably aren't drinking enough as Som suggests.

But the normal rule applies: if it makes you feel bad, stop. :)

Soldato
Yeah creatine has plenty of evidence behind it... but it's still a kind of extra 1% sort of thing and the use of it isn't going to make or break progress. The only things that make a noticeable difference when it comes to the gym aren't the legal kind of supplements, if you know what I mean. If you're having some weird reaction consistently just drop it. In term of how what goes in your mouth affects your training, it's the same as how it affects your weight:

Energy balance/calories > macronutrients >> micronutrients/fibre/water >>> meal timing and frequency >>>>>>>> supplements

Also, caffeine is a diuretic so if you're a coffee monster like me that could influence how much water you're retaining.

Soldato
Guys, out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Protein or meal replacement powder from B&M stores? Seems to get half decent reviews and for the price (RRP £29.99, they are selling it for £11.99) its pretty good? This stuff, grabbed two tubs of it today at my local store:-

protein.jpg

Man of Honour
Guys, out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Protein or meal replacement powder from B&M stores? Seems to get half decent reviews and for the price (RRP £29.99, they are selling it for £11.99) its pretty good? This stuff, grabbed two tubs of it today at my local store:-

protein.jpg

Half price is good... but it is just food at the end of the day.

Soldato
Going to give Tyrosine a stab, like £3 for 250g bag from Myprotein right now. Need to stock up on whey anyway and need a few things to bump up to free postage so maybe grab some calcium too.

Soldato
Everything else on that list is pretty cheap to make a stack from yourself so as long as you think you get enough out of DMAA to justify the price tag. Used to use Jack3d when I lived in US before the "ban" myself and effect was good but I don't I'd invest over the odds.

Man of Honour
I've never had anything from DMAA, doesn't do anything. I get more out of Caffeine

Oddly enough, the one time I did get any kind of effect was on massively out of date Jack3d that had pretty much turned into one big lump. All that did though was make me feel massively depressed :D

Associate
Can't say I've experienced any sort of crash with DMAA, tho I haven't used it without caffeine which itself usually gives me a heavy fatigue afterwards (about 7pm each day when pwo at 9am)

Soldato
Cheers, my Google skills clearly let me down. That's actually not bad so can't be that low, my stomach can get a little funny nowadays with milk and I occasionally eat some Skyr yoghurt and don't keep cheese in the house because I would eat the whole damn block at once :eek:

Calcium & magnesium tablets are decent and cheap if you don't eat diary, i'm in a similiar situation, only buy coconut milk and Alpro yoghurts now, there's no need for some of these animal products now i feel, considering the world we live in

Soldato
Calcium & magnesium tablets are decent and cheap if you don't eat diary, i'm in a similiar situation, only buy coconut milk and Alpro yoghurts now, there's no need for some of these animal products now i feel, considering the world we live in

Can't say there are any ethical reasons behind it but it's a nice bonus I suppose. Was never a huge fan of milk anyway and also eat cheese and butter very rarely. Speaking of magnesium, wish I would get that great sleep effect everyone is raving about when they take it.

My sleep is awful now as my bed is next to a window so as soon as I get the sun coming through, I'm tossing and turning and quality is really bad. Think I'll invest in some blackout curtains but I'm yet to find a supplement that helps as I've tried a few.

Soldato
Make sure the magnesium you're getting is citrate since it's most other forms aren't as well-absorbed. I think you can get sprays too which you apply to the skin but I don't know if they're nearly as cost-effective as tablets. If you're going to try the Z/M thing it's about 25 mg zinc and 400-500 mg magnesium citrate. Don't overpay for ZMA since it's cheaper to just buy zinc and magnesium individually and some people find the B6 in has a negative effect on sleep. Also don't consume anything containing much calcium around the same time since they share the same transporters IIRC which would limit the amount you take in.

I work shifts and blackout curtains, ear plugs and a decent eye-mask are musts. I've messed around with ordering melatonin online and 5-HTP but I find they're better for when I have to adjust my sleeping pattern v.s. going to sleep and more importantly, staying asleep since I'm more likely to have trouble with waking up randomly at 3am than I am getting to sleep in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom