Disclosing personal information to a foreign employer

Associate
Hi guys, I was recently offered a job for a company in Malta but on the condition that I send certain background information about myself. This is not only things such as past employer references but documentation about my tax/National insurance history from HMRC, qualifications, criminal check, credit check, passport scans and so on. They justify this requirement by saying that the position requires high degree of trust. Maybe its the paranoid in me but it got me sort of thinking about whether there can be a potential danger doing this. This is because, to begin with, I did not find the position myself but was contacted by a Maltese employment agency for it (having found my candidate details online at a job site) and I did have interviews with people via Skype but I have no actual proof that they are who they say they are. A simple internet search showed me that the company has some presence in Malta but I did not find anything further that can offer me a hint about the people that interviewed me.

Obviously lots of companies choose Malta for tax reasons and thats part of our reality. Its also understandable that video links are the only way they can actually conduct interviews when the bulk of candidates will be from outside of the country. However, do you believe that disclosing scans of all sorts of documents and simply emailing them to someone is a safe thing to do?

Don
If i was going to accept a job with this company, i would not agree to share any personal details with them unless i had actually met them face to face.

I would not use email either, it's not a secure method for transferring personal information.

Remember the old saying - if it sounds like a scam, it's probably a scam.

Soldato
If they have a website which looks genuine, maybe try calling switchboard and ask to be put through to the person you've been in touch with?

If Malta has something like Companies House, may also help you vet them?

Dunno if cheap, but you can also try the lawyer route? Hire a solicitor to check for you if the company is genuine, preferably someone who already has contacts in Malta.

If it's big enough, maybe post the company name here? Perhaps someone has worked with them?

Never been in this situation before, so just some food for thought really!

Associate
Have you checked out any of their employees on LinkedIn? If they were a serious company, there are third party agencies they could employ to do these background checks without you having to provide the information yourself.

Soldato
How long were the interviews for and does the role you were going for make sense for them to "need a high degree of trust". A waiter in a cafe doesn't need much compared to say, a school bursar. Was the interview a challenge and what does your gut tell you. It sounds like they have gone to a lot of effort for a simple identify theft.

Passport is fair enough as they'd need to establish you are an EU citizen and also are who you say you are.
Criminal check - they should be doing that.
Tax / NI would be to ensure you're paying either UK or Maltese tax legally.
Credit check - presumably experian.

Caporegime
OP you should probably be clearer in your description of what is being asked for - you're not being asked to 'send' a 'credit check', 'criminal check' etc.. you're being asked to undergo one. Presumably with a third party agency?

Try to explain clearly what is being asked for here.

Caporegime
You can be asked to provide all the details for a dbs check, though in the circumstances that could simply be making it easy for someone else to commit identity theft and obtain a legitimate dbs check.

Caporegime
you can also be asked to undergo one with a third party... OP hasn't really been very clear, that is the point

Soldato
I had to provide pretty much all that to my current employer and consent to credit/security check. My company is owned by a Spanish multinational.

Back
Top Bottom