• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When is Volta going to be released?

Caporegime
I heard only mobile companies had signed up for that so Samsung and Apple pretty much. Nvidia has yet to sign up for a smaller node hinting that Volta will be on current tech.

That is the 10nm process. Nvidia have officially announced they are supplying 12nm Volta powered Drive PX in Q3.

But ntoe than 12nm is the same planar size as 14/16nm (and thus 20nm). These process names are just marketing terms.

Man of Honour
I heard only mobile companies had signed up for that so Samsung and Apple pretty much. Nvidia has yet to sign up for a smaller node hinting that Volta will be on current tech.

10nm is actually ramping up pretty quickly right now but seems yields of high density stuff and design/setup costs aren't making it very attractive for GPUs at the moment.

Associate
judging by how Nvidia threw the Ti and Xp before their competitor release theirs, the replacement should be less than a year away, probably H1 2018, with possible low-mid end at the end of 2017.

Soldato
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-20-volta-graphics-card-q3-2017/

Volta in Q3 2017 hmmmm possible September because nvidia was launched GTX 970 and 980 at that month back in 2014 and Micron issue press released announced GDDR6 enter volume production sometime in September.

Q3 2017 will be interesting with Intel accelerated Coffee Lake launch to August 2017, Nvidia and Micron accelerated Volta and GDDR6 launch to sometime in Q3 2017 possible September. :)

Man of Honour
Regarding Volta.

That article seems to say a new super computer that was meant to be based on Volta is being pushed back to 2018, so take from that what you may.

Nothing changed there - Summit was always going to be a 2017 construction to go live in 2018 - I believe its pushed back slightly but we are talking weeks from the original pencilled in estimates nothing more.

Despite what some say the GPUs for that installation were planned to be in production through 2017 since ages back - things were held up a bit by the power/thermal envelop not being attainable with Volta without going below 16nm FF+ but it looks like they've managed to get around that now.

Associate
OP
Rumour has it that Volta is coming out at the end of this year. Might be a possibility if Vega is strong, although I seriously doubt that will be the case.

Caporegime
Rumour has it that Volta is coming out at the end of this year. Might be a possibility if Vega is strong, although I seriously doubt that will be the case.
Pascal has been out a year, so Volta released by year end at 18+ no thanks from Pascal launch should not be surprising. There was a time when new GPUs were released every 6-9months

I have repeatedly mentioned this but no one really seems to care, but Nvidia have already publicly announced volume production of Volta powder drive PX in Q3. This is like a 1060 level GPU. That is official public statement,so one shouldn't be shocked if a 1160 or 1180 appears by the end of the year.

Caporegime
Volta chips for DriverPX are due to ship in volume then on TSMC 12nm FF++. Rumour might be confused with that, or there could be a 750ti type card with a similar chip as used in DriverPX. I doubt we will see big volta chips this year but could be possible.

Yup, I'd be surprised if they didn't ship with GDDR6 (which is due to hit volume production Q1 '18)

Associate
Considering what AMD has just done and thinking about Nvidia's motivation to release cards that would only really compete with their own products (AMD is only mainstream/low-end atm)... it's possible that Volta will be a refresh/rebrand. Otherwise we'd expect a 1170 with performance like a 1080ti as per the past few Nvidia GPU generations.

You've got to also keep in mind that current Nvidia GPUs are still selling (even if folks like me have no interest in buying one), so they can't release Volta too soon or risk losing their own sales. That being said... this is Nvidia who release the 980ti a few months after original Titan X and Titan Xp (3rd TX) a month or so after the 1080ti... so its anyone's guess. I don't think Vega will make them move much though, they've already released the 1080ti and Titan Xp to handle that.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I would not be surprised at all. I have been saying it for a long time, if Vega does not live up to my expectations I will be upgrading to a 1170 which will likely perform like a 1080Ti, but for half the price and run much cooler and quieter :)

I know most do not expect much from Vega, but I think it will be better than what most say which is 1070/80 performance. It needs to be better as Volta won't be too far away by the time it comes out and for sure Volta is going to be better than Vega. If they do not price Vega right then I will just look to upgrade to an G-Sync monitor instead. End of the day I enjoy getting most bang for my buck.

Soldato
More and more rumours about a possible Q3/4 release for Volta.

I'm not entirely on the ball, just keep seeing snipers whilst hunting for Vega news.

If true, Nvidia must be concerned about Vega.

Associate
Don't understand why they r pushing themself so much if there is no competition unless they know smthng about Vega.... Now Intels actions make sense cause of Ryzen but not this one if its true of course

Soldato
If true, Nvidia must be concerned about Vega.
Nvidia are going to release Volta as soon as they can, regardless of what Vega brings.

And competitors are always 'concerned' with rival product releases. Doesn't necessarily mean they are panicking, it's simply always in their best interest to pay close attention and do what they can to minimize competitor's advantages or time of advantage. In the case of Volta, Nvidia cannot get it out before Vega releases and when it is ready, it'll likely have been quite a while since Pascal released, so the best they can do is release it as soon as they can.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nvidia will rleease Volta when its ready in order to generate sales. ow else are Nvidia going to get people who have purchased a 1080/ti/Titan to give them more money? the only way is to make a faster card and get people upgrading.

Associate
OP
Pascal has been out a year, so Volta released by year end at 18+ no thanks from Pascal launch should not be surprising. There was a time when new GPUs were released every 6-9months

I have repeatedly mentioned this but no one really seems to care, but Nvidia have already publicly announced volume production of Volta powder drive PX in Q3. This is like a 1060 level GPU. That is official public statement,so one shouldn't be shocked if a 1160 or 1180 appears by the end of the year.

You're right come to think of it. Wouldn't be shocked if Volta was released at the end of this year but I would be very surprised if Vega seriously challenged the 1080 Ti.

Back
Top Bottom