Poll: What AM4 motherboard will you be getting?

What manufacturer AM4 will you be buying?

• Asus

Votes: 93 33.0%
  • Asrock

Votes: 66 23.4%
  • Gigabyte

Votes: 81 28.7%
  • MSI

Votes: 37 13.1%
  • other.

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
Associate
Just some feedback to the MSI X370 Titanium.

The Plug to connect the USB at the front of the case did bend one of the pins and it broke straight off, can only use one front-USB now.
My USB receiver for the H600 Logitech wireless headset does not fit into any of the USB ports. It does fit physically but the system does not recognise it. I had to use a USB extension lead to make this NANO-Receiver work.
There hasn't been a BIOS update for nearly a month now, all test versions have been pulled. The 350 series seems to come first and MSI already announced a new model for X370, guess this is as good as it gets.

I think about dumping it and get ASUS again (stupid me -.-)

p.s. it does work just at the lowest limits of what the platform can do and I will just use it as is until a new generation of Asus is released as MSI already announced.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm currently looking at the Asrock B350m Pro4, and the MSI B350m Bazooka, need a black matx board, neither seem available though and neither have any reviews up....sigh.

Im going to write a review very soon about the MSI B350m Mortar, which should be pretty much the same as the bazooka, im completely blown away by it, its easily blasted my CPU up to 3.9ghz with RAM at 3000mhz, just got to finish off my overclocking first, im going to try and get my system stable at 4ghz first.

Associate
Im going to write a review very soon about the MSI B350m Mortar, which should be pretty much the same as the bazooka, im completely blown away by it, its easily blasted my CPU up to 3.9ghz with RAM at 3000mhz, just got to finish off my overclocking first, im going to try and get my system stable at 4ghz first.

That's good to hear, look forward to reading your review :)

Associate

I would be really interested to your feedback on the B350M Mortar particualry on stability, ram compatibility, overclocking etc.
Can't see the point in picking up a x370 as I will only ever use a single GPU and would also like to go Micro ATX.
Will probably go with 16GB Corsair LPX 3000Mhz memory. What memory are you using?

Soldato
I would be really interested to your feedback on the B350M Mortar particualry on stability, ram compatibility, overclocking etc.
Can't see the point in picking up a x370 as I will only ever use a single GPU and would also like to go Micro ATX.
Will probably go with 16GB Corsair LPX 3000Mhz memory. What memory are you using?

Well after my Gigabyte ab350m gaming 3 killed my nice new G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mhz DDR4 ram, I sent it back and got G.skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz CL16, wasnt going to put it back in the gigabyte board, so dragged it out for a day until the MSI arrived, built the system, flashed the bioses available, installed windows and my software, and began overclocking, BOOOOOOMMMMM, set XMP profile 2 and ramped my CPU upto 3.9ghz, not looked back since, apart from a bit of tweaking of voltages, and trying for 4ghz (fail) its passed everything ive thrown at it, still got a few tests to run yet, but proof is in the pudding, here's the pudding:

http://imgur.com/jc4tNX0
http://imgur.com/BkiphhU
http://imgur.com/MZ45MnZ
http://imgur.com/7IMCvzW
http://imgur.com/wE5BDHP

You'll see in some of the tests, the CPU volatge has changed, that was mostly down to LLC, so ive set LLC for the CPU now to level 2 and the north bridge LLC to level 3, fairly tight.

Got realbench 8 hour stress test to run overnight tonight, then IBT max settings 50 passes, and if I can be bothered, i'll run OCCT again, but the CPU section rather than the Linpack section, however, if it can pass the linpack, im pretty sure it will breeze through the cpu section, probably tomorrow night, got a new case coming on Tuesday, so I want to get everything complete before then.

sorry to Gigabyte, I used to love their boards, but ive been chatting to 2 other guys on Tom's Hardware who have each, both lost 2 different sets of ram on that same board.

Last edited:
Associate
Very nice! And thanks very much for the detailed feedback. Looks like it's the B350m Mortar for me! Now if only it was in stock somewhere..
Please share more feedback when you can including bios updates etc.

Thanks again!

A

Soldato
Very nice! And thanks very much for the detailed feedback. Looks like it's the B350m Mortar for me! Now if only it was in stock somewhere..
Please share more feedback when you can including bios updates etc.

Thanks again!

A

Not sure im allowed to name companies am I, but I know a store that has loads, in fact, it only seems to be the UK that has trouble getting them in, I got mine from Germany, shipped over in 2 or 3 working days by DHL.

Soldato
Wonder why Ocuk are not stocking Biostar motherboards namely, X370GT7, (I see caseking are)I have this board and am well impressed. This board and other AM4 boards reviewed on Tweaktown. The Biostar is rated up there with the best, particularly the power circuitry.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Everytime i think of chosen a motherboard to go with my 1800x i always end up reading a negative review and changing my mind. Actually, i think every single board is 50/50 at the moment. Currently have Ryzen X370 GAMING PRO CARBON in my basket.

Soldato
A few more stress test results on my MSI B350m Mortar motherboard, with G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz CL16 (Hynix Based) @ 3200mhz and CPU at 3.9ghz, 1.375 volts, the crazy part is, I did have NB voltage at 1.15v and CPU LLC at level 3 in the end, however, last night it failed Prime95 after 4hours, this morning I reduced the NB voltage to 1.100v and tightened the LLC to level 2, 12 hours of Prime95 later, ive decided to manually stop it.

http://imgur.com/wA9cR7z Prime95 still running, max memory, so you can see volatges and temps, the motherboard temp in AIDA64 is the MOSFETs.
http://imgur.com/9M0QX2M Prime95 ended
http://imgur.com/cjbAnAr 8 hours of Realbench stress test.

Just IBT max settings and OCCt left to run, then i'll be done and happy.

Last edited:
Associate
What motherboard would you guys recommend for a CAD/viz workstation. Will be a 1700X with a 1080Ti, 16GB RAM and an M.2 SSD of some description.

Associate
Everytime i think of chosen a motherboard to go with my 1800x i always end up reading a negative review and changing my mind. Actually, i think every single board is 50/50 at the moment. Currently have Ryzen X370 GAMING PRO CARBON in my basket.

Too many unknowns. I've got the upgrade itch, but it seems that motherboard/memory matching is still a lottery. I'd like low profile memory to accommodate my air cooler, but most DDR4 seems to come with "pimped" heatsinks which would mean that I might have to buy an AIO watercooler. I could buy a board and hope that a BIOS update will enable 3000Mhz memory to run @ 3000 (or 29??), but I'm not willing to take that chance. Even if I ditch the air cooler, I still don't know for sure that the rated memory speed can be achieved. AMD need to sort it.

Back
Top Bottom