Counter-Strike Global Offensive (CSGO)

Soldato
Found myself trying to 3rd person view out of library on Inferno last night; too much Battlegrounds.

Negev, Revolver update? Seems Valve has as much a clue about their game as some world leaders do on current situations; or do they?

Soldato
First time CSGO has brought a tear to my eye. This blind/deaf guy, "Hi my name is Adam "Loop" B. I enjoy playing a lot of csgo, I generally stream csgo everyday"

Gets kicked, then gets over $15,000 in donations in 1 day. NSFW stream !

Associate
OP
Damn fella's :(

Could use a shoulder to cry on or any opinions as this has just happened :( This is the thread I posted to the steam forums but generally not getting much help/advice:

All skins stolen :( Please help

I'll preface this by saying I am 30+ years old and would consider myself to be quite up to speed with security and so on (maybe not though) so installed steam guard as soon as it became available + have literally traded with one person I know in RL before.

Just now I accepted a game invite from someone I have played with before. I joined the lobby and they asked me to join them on discord. As soon as i joined discord I was kicked from steam. My heart pretty much sunk straight away :(

I tried logging, rebooting the whole thing + codes I was receiving via txt on my phone were not working. I got a notification of a trade on my steam app and my skins have literally all been stolen.

I have changed my login details on steam and have access to my account again. I have also contacted steam support straight away. This has literally all happened in the last 15 minutes :(

What is your advice guys? Absolutely gutted here

Cheers
Keeno

Soldato
@MrKeeno,

the only thing you can do is wait for steam to get back to you. changing your passwords and getting access back to your account is all you can do for the time being.

Sorry to hear about this tho and a shame its from people you have played with before etc

TommyV posted this as one of the scams on the previous page

Associate
OP
@MrKeeno,

the only thing you can do is wait for steam to get back to you. changing your passwords and getting access back to your account is all you can do for the time being.

Sorry to hear about this tho and a shame its from people you have played with before etc

Really gutted about it m8. I am even more annoyed by the response from the steam forums tbh, some of the people on there have absolutely no empathy whatsoever. I have got the account back and submitted a ticket so we will see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Thread link for anyone interested : http://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/135514800409411249/

Soldato
I have never used the steam forums and mostpeob never will lol.

I hope you get your skins back, I'm safe as I have nothing of value.

Associate
Just now I accepted a game invite from someone I have played with before. I joined the lobby and they asked me to join them on discord. As soon as i joined discord I was kicked from steam. My heart pretty much sunk straight away :(

Can you provide more details on the discord part, is there anymore to it? An old scam for teamspeak had people downloading new 'codecs' that were viruses to steal skins. Did anything like that happen? Was it a fake discord link?

As for your skins, do you have 2 factor authentication on your account? Before I can trade skins I have to accept the trade offer in the steam app on my phone as well as in game.

When something similar happened to 2 friends of mine, steam support went through wanting some information off them then as a 1 time offer restored their skins. This happened to one of them again and steam would not restore the skins a second time.

Edit: Just saw on your steam thread that you have the authenticator, scary if they can bypass that.

Edit 2 : While I think on, is your email set to auto log you in? Check to restore items out of deleted (yes, thats your deleted-deleted). I had my friend do that and found emails where the scammer had authorised changes since he had access to the email account due to stealing the cookies and him having email 'remember me' they had cleaned out those messages from normal and deleted emails)

Last edited:
Soldato
I believe they give you a link to a Discord server, when you join it'll say your missing a plugin for ESEA, this then triggers a fake Steam login which captures your login info and from there they've got near enough free reign to your account.

Sorry, how exactly does this scam work? What is discord?

Discord is a voice comms app, similar to TeamSpeak/Mumble/etc.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Steam Support will no longer restore lost items.

Steam Support does not restore items that have left accounts for any reason, including trades, market transactions, deletions, or gifting.

It is your responsibility to secure your Steam account. To quickly make trades or sales on the Market, your account must be protected by a Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator. This ensures that only you are able to remove items from your account. If you can’t enable an Authenticator, Steam will hold the trade or Market sell listing for a period of 15 days so that you’ll have enough time to discover and cancel pending transactions if your account was compromised.

Please carefully check the value of the items you want to trade. All trades are confirmed twice in the trade window and a third time via email or the Mobile Authenticator. Never agree to a trade that needs to be made outside of the Steam trade window.

Steam Support will no longer restore lost items. Items often exchange hands multiple times before a restoration request and this means they cannot be restored without duplicating them or removing them from another innocent user’s inventory. Duplicating items has a negative impact on everyone who trades or uses the Market by lowering the value of items.

Source

Associate
OP
It looks like the hijacker had access to your phone's text messages through phishing or compromising your credentials using third party software. They used a text message that Steam sent to your phone number to transfer the Steam Mobile Authenticator to their device, which makes it so there's no trade restriction. The type of hijacking you experienced is generally caused by malware being installed on a PC, often disguised as communication software. The malware makes itself look like Steam to gather your account information and your SMS code. I'm sorry this happened.

We will investigate this user and take appropriate action. I understand that it’s frustrating to lose your items, but we can’t restore them. Steam Support does not restore lost items. If you would like to learn how to avoid scams, see our Trade Scam article.

If you have an unrelated request please reply here and I'll help how I can, but we can't restore items for any reason at Steam Support.

Steam Support
Kel

Associate
OP
which makes it so there's no trade restriction.
Kel

Really? So there is a proven method to bypass it that they know about. You know the more I go on with this the more I just feel like giving up. I know I was naive in a way but for gods sake, I cant even launch steam without steam guard yet they can empty my account without it?

Soldato
Try nearby lobbies, its players who are located geographically or within national borders around your IP. Actually a decent feature they put in

https://blog.faceit.com/this-weekend-the-nostalgic-ladder-52fc2595ad55

Old 1.6 maps on faceit . Sounds good but I will only be happy if they put in the map with a drivable APC and a mineshaft lift on it and the map with 3 bomb sites :D that one is unlikely i guess

Associate
OP
Had CSGO for a long time, played since 1.6

Looking for more people to play with currently GN3 queuing solo or with my friend who is terrible.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kaptainmarc/

feel free to add me, 12 year old Russians are starting to send me into a breakdown

I'll be on tonight with a few m8s around the same level if you want to add me, steam name is the same as here :)

Back
Top Bottom