• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to launch 6 core Coffee Lake-S CPUs & Z370 chipset 5 October 2017

Soldato
Intel to unveil Basin Falls, launch Coffee Lake ahead of schedule
Monica Chen, Taipei; Joseph Tsai, DIGITIMES [Wednesday 19 April 2017]
Intel will unveil its Basin Falls platform, i.e. Skylake-X, Kaby Lake-X processors and X299 chipset, at Computex 2017 in Taipei during May 30-June 3 two months earlier than originally scheduled, and will bring forward the launch of Coffee Lake microarchitecture based on a 14nm process node from January 2018 originally to August 2017, to cope with increasing competition from AMD's Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 5 processors, according to Taiwan-based PC vendors.

The Basin Falls-based products are expected to be launched at the E3 gaming show in the US in June, with the official release at the end of the month.

The Skylake-X series has three 140W processors featuring 6-, 8- and 10-core architectures, while the Kaby Lake-X series has an 112W quad-core processor. In August, Intel will release a top-end 12-core Skylake-X processor.

Meanwhile, AMD is planning to announce its top-end 16-core Ryzen processor and X399 platform in the third quarter to compete for the gaming market.

As for the 14nm-based Coffee Lake-based processors, Intel will initially release several K-series Core i7/i5/i3 processors and its Z370 chipsets in August, and will release more CPUs as well as H370, B360 and H310 chipsets at the end of 2017 or early 2018.

Intel has reportedly spent over US$100 million to order five EUV machine sets from ASML, to accelerate its pace of manufacturing.

Intel and AMD both declined to comment on unannounced products.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170419PD207.html

Holy crap I was few weeks away from decision to to order 7700K CPU and Z270 motherboard until I read stunning news Intel accelerate Coffee Lake CPUs with up to 6 cores and new Z370 chipset to hit market in August so now I put it off for 6 core Coffee Lake CPU and Z370 motherboard, pointless to buy 7700K now. :)

Associate
How credible is digitimes as a source?
Because their journalism seems rather poor:
Meanwhile, AMD is planning to announce its top-end 16-core Ryzen processor and X399 platform in the third quarter to compete for the gaming market.

Yes, because a workstation 16 core X399 platform is just what you'd want for gaming. Lots of cores sitting idle while your max clock is lower than current Ryzen 7 and 5 on AM4.

Intel has reportedly spent over US$100 million to order five EUV machine sets from ASML, to accelerate its pace of manufacturing.

And that pocket change has what relevance to Coffee Lake? Fabs cost $billions so such an amount is almost trivial.

No indication of prices or clock speeds. And if this is 14nm and LGA1151 again, why the need for yet another chipset?

EDIT: fixed the broken quotes and LGA1151 (had put LGA2011).

Last edited:
Soldato
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20170419PD207.html

Holy crap I was few weeks away from decision to to order 7700K CPU and Z270 motherboard until I read stunning news Intel accelerate Coffee Lake CPUs with up to 6 cores and new Z370 chipset to hit market in August so now I put it off for 6 core Coffee Lake CPU and Z370 motherboard, pointless to buy 7700K now. :)

+1

Will upgrade my z170 skylake for z370:D

Caporegime
It wouldn't be surprising to see these brought foward, it's basically trivial, Coffeelake sounds like it's 14nm refined marginally again. I wouldn't be surprised if it's literally SKylake again with a light clock bump.

There is no 14nm +/++, every process gets not particularly close to it's theoretical best case sizing at first then iterates a couple times to get closer. IE 14nm is iirc 64nm metal pitch, in reality the first iteration is probably more like 72nm, then it will get tweaked and they'll reduce the design rules to 69nm, then they do it again and move to 64nm. It gets smaller, or stays same size with more spacing, less leakage and better clocks. Intel just decided to make a bigger deal and brand these tweaks/improvements because 10nm is taking ages and they want people to upgrade so they make it sound bigger/better.

Skylake started as a 122mm^2 chip, at 6 core skylake was possible from day one of Skylake being available, the cores take up only around 40% of the core, so adding 2 more cores would probably only make a hexcore around 140-145mm^2 range. That is trivial die size wise. How long have they been making the 250mm^2 Broadwell-e's.

Kabylake is a new Skylake stepping on the marginally tweaked process, Coffeelake might well just be Skylake with potentially another tweak or potentially not. We're talking about essentially new steppings and rebranded chips excluding a hexcore they've been holding back for 2 years because they wanted to milk profits on smaller chips. They could have made the hexcores 2+ years ago easily, so bringing it forwards 6 months is stupidly easy. In fact even if the so called 14nm '++' isn't ready they can just make a hexcore on 14nm '+', rebrand the lower two, add 100Mhz to the lower chips then in 6-12 months they can release a new bin of those chips with a new stepping.

The only interesting thing about it could be pricing. Somehow I just can't quite see Intel dropping in the hex at 7700k pricing, the 7700k at 7600k pricing, etc. Nor do I think they can do this without better prices. They are losing sales because of price/performance to AMD. I'm guessing the new chips will move down a half a price point then make the hexcore another £50-80 on top of current 7700k pricing.

The only interesting thing about it could be pricing. Somehow I just can't quite see Intel dropping in the hex at 7700k pricing, the 7700k at 7600k pricing, etc. Nor do I think they can do this without better prices. They are losing sales because of price/performance to AMD. I'm guessing the new chips will move down a half a price point then make the hexcore another £50-80 on top of current 7700k pricing.

As above. Plus its about ******* time Intel gave the consumer side market more than 4 core/8 thread. Its been a long time coming and lets face facts if its an early release its entirely down to competition from AMD (also a long time coming).

Soldato
It wouldn't be surprising to see these brought foward, it's basically trivial, Coffeelake sounds like it's 14nm refined marginally again. I wouldn't be surprised if it's literally SKylake again with a light clock bump.

There is no 14nm +/++, every process gets not particularly close to it's theoretical best case sizing at first then iterates a couple times to get closer. IE 14nm is iirc 64nm metal pitch, in reality the first iteration is probably more like 72nm, then it will get tweaked and they'll reduce the design rules to 69nm, then they do it again and move to 64nm. It gets smaller, or stays same size with more spacing, less leakage and better clocks. Intel just decided to make a bigger deal and brand these tweaks/improvements because 10nm is taking ages and they want people to upgrade so they make it sound bigger/better.

Skylake started as a 122mm^2 chip, at 6 core skylake was possible from day one of Skylake being available, the cores take up only around 40% of the core, so adding 2 more cores would probably only make a hexcore around 140-145mm^2 range. That is trivial die size wise. How long have they been making the 250mm^2 Broadwell-e's.

Kabylake is a new Skylake stepping on the marginally tweaked process, Coffeelake might well just be Skylake with potentially another tweak or potentially not. We're talking about essentially new steppings and rebranded chips excluding a hexcore they've been holding back for 2 years because they wanted to milk profits on smaller chips. They could have made the hexcores 2+ years ago easily, so bringing it forwards 6 months is stupidly easy. In fact even if the so called 14nm '++' isn't ready they can just make a hexcore on 14nm '+', rebrand the lower two, add 100Mhz to the lower chips then in 6-12 months they can release a new bin of those chips with a new stepping.

Do you work for Intel? I thought so. So all above is incorrect until Intel coffeelake launches. Thanks for the fantasy info.

Associate
Another CPU another chipset. When will they stop this crap.
Be kind to them, they need something for old fabs to do to so creating pointless chipset and constantly changing sockets is that something. Otherwise where would they find the $billions to spend on such strategic mistakes as Atom contra-revenue, buying MaCfee, Larabee etc.?

Back
Top Bottom