PC upgrade for £400 advice

Associate
Hello

I was wondering if someone could be so kind and assist me.

One of my friends has a budget of £400 for an PC upgrade and his main goal is to play World Of Warcraft as smooth as possible.

He already has a decent case and an Integrator 500W Bronze 80 Plus PSU (which can be replaced if it is not up to scratch).

What I would like some advice on is a Mother Board, Processor and Ram with a Corsair or similar all in one water-cooled heatsink solution.

A PSU as I think his current one is quite old

Storage be it SSD or standard, all he needs space for is Wow and OS

We will go for a low end GPU which we will source ourselves and invest in a better one in a few months.

I am aware that AMD has come out with new CPU and was wondering if that is the way to go and as we are going for a better cooler overclocking would be great.

If possible we are after something future proofed and all the MB needs to support is one GPU.

I hope this all makes sense and looking forward for any advice available.

Many Thanks

CitizenX

Soldato
ryzen for futureproof, but just about any i5 processor from haswell to recent will handle wow, i know a lot of things has changed since i last played it years ago(month before panda expansion i quit playing after years) with it becoming more demanding, but i doubt youd need a 6/8 core cpu and with it being more cpu based i heard, a 1060/470 would be good as far as new goes otherwise im sure a 970 or something that old will run it no problem.

change the psu for sure and a hdd be better for the budget, £45 for a 1tb compared to £50 for a 120gb ssd, the performance of an ssd doesnt aid gaming from what i read, but helps in benchmarks.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £398.45
(includes shipping: £10.50)

i went on game-debate website on the can i run it section and my system(sig) is meant to be able to play it with the legion(latest) expansion on high, i wouldnt have thought wow with all the content be that much demanding compared to the likes of mad max, fallout 4, no mans sky which my system and can run on medium-high depending if im 720p or 1080p(mostly 720 due to tv and desktop issues at higher), so you likely wouldnt even need the i5 i used as an example even on a skylake/kabylake build and save the money for a better psu.

Associate
OP
Hello Thank you very much and i highly appreciate the advice, I will pass this information on but before i do is there no low end ryzen solution i can explore or is it out of the price range?

Associate
Do you need an OS? For now I've not included one.

Total: £337.97
(includes shipping: £11.10)

with a Corsair or similar all in one water-cooled heatsink solution.

Bit specific, I don't see a need for a dedicated cooler, the in included one will be fine and you can't overclock the CPU anyway. Also for £400 he hasn't got the money to go AIO water-cooled.

We will go for a low end GPU which we will source ourselves and invest in a better one in a few months.

You could go for:

Total: £89.89
(includes shipping: £9.90)

Soldato
cheapest ryzen cpu and cheapest board in stock, the 1500x is like £180, but would tip over the 400.

Total: £395.01
(includes shipping: £11.10)

Back
Top Bottom