• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN DDR4 MEMORY, WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW!

Soldato
That would be the best choice of memory for me if I upgrade (I'd like low profile RAM so that I can utilise my existing air cooler). From what I've read, Corsair LPX is not a good choice for fast memory speeds on most motherboards.
It was on the motherboard manufacturers list of memory recommended to run at 3200 , which is why I chose it in the end. Once Ryzen settles down and if I need more memory in the future I will look at things again.

Associate
So quick question, I have 2 sets of RAM.

1. 16gb of Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 @ 2933
2. 32gb of Team Group TPKD432G2400HC16D @ 2400

As l game at 1440p would it be better to stick with the faster ram? or go for the bigger capacity and try and run the TG RAM faster?

Using a MSI Tomahawk B350. R7 1700 @ 3800 and a FE 1080 @ stock.

Thanks for any info.

Soldato
So quick question, I have 2 sets of RAM.

1. 16gb of Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 @ 2933
2. 32gb of Team Group TPKD432G2400HC16D @ 2400

As l game at 1440p would it be better to stick with the faster ram? or go for the bigger capacity and try and run the TG RAM faster?

Using a MSI Tomahawk B350. R7 1700 @ 3800 and a FE 1080 @ stock.

Thanks for any info.

if cpu bound, faster ram, if not use bigger capacity

Soldato
Installed ok for me, device manager clear. New Ryzen balanced power settings running, quite a difference to the windows balanced settings. 2/3 [email protected] and rest of cores 2554.9. Core voltages 1.078v to 1.199v in cpu-z
HWInfo shows core speeds same as cpu-z and core voltages at 1.094v to 1.381v.

Soldato
Installed ok for me, device manager clear. New Ryzen balanced power settings running, quite a difference to the windows balanced settings. 2/3 [email protected] and rest of cores 2554.9. Core voltages 1.078v to 1.199v in cpu-z
HWInfo shows core speeds same as cpu-z and core voltages at 1.094v to 1.381v.

Did you notice any difference in performance versus the high performance power plan?

Associate
In the end I did a Windows Reset - My OS was transferred from my old board and although it was pretty much ok, when Creators update came it broke my USB, then updating the Chipset drivers gave me 5 unknown devices - too much failing devices for my liking! Reinstalled now with new chipset drivers and no unknown devices.

I'm in 2 minds about installing AISuite, but how else will I get my fans working properly?

Soldato
In the end I did a Windows Reset - My OS was transferred from my old board and although it was pretty much ok, when Creators update came it broke my USB, then updating the Chipset drivers gave me 5 unknown devices - too much failing devices for my liking! Reinstalled now with new chipset drivers and no unknown devices.

I'm in 2 minds about installing AISuite, but how else will I get my fans working properly?

For what it's worth I've found AIsuite very good. It doesn't always open first time but the options are good, it can even stop fans when temps are below a value that you set.
I've not messed with overclocking using AIsuite so can't comment on that.

Soldato
Gave me 16 points in CB:)

Cool I'll this in a sec. Currently re installing windows :(
Note to self *unplug from internet when running memory tests*
I was running TPU memtest64 and windows decided it would install an update. Completely borked my start menu and all windows apps, paint calculator etc will not open. Tried various CMD fixes but its a no go so a reinstall it is :/

Soldato
Success!! Not only have I managed to get this (what I thought was a P
OS Ram) running at its rated speed I've also overclocked it to 3200mhz.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...00mhz-dual-channel-kit-red-led-my-48c-cs.html

Since my Gskill 3600 kit got sent back I have been tinkering with this since it was the only stuff I had available.
I'm quiet pleased. All benchmarks I've done show this to be faster even with looser timings :/ No idea why but the gskill did get sent back because of horrendous write/copy speeds.

Now do I keep this or spend £200+ on a kit of 3600?

2ut10xt.png

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have the money to throw away, sure.

But if what you have is running so well, do you really want to risk more possible issues?

No i do not! This has been a long enough journey lol. I'll wait till may, if they bring in a higher memory divider and it shows decent gains then I'll get some faster stuff.
On a side note cpuz has changed, when i was running the bench it was doing to multi first i was like wtf is wrong with this now!?
It's better though, the scores are more in line with how you would expect them to be.

Back
Top Bottom