**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
I am still looking for a high quality pouch for mine, emailed Sena where i normally get them from they said another few weeks away :(
Try Noreve?
UK mail are awesome. When i received my tracking number last night, i clicked it and said i wanted to collect from depot and it allowed me to collect at 8am this morning, and as it was on the way to work it was extremely convenient :D

Phone is awesome :)
Nice one! Was going to ask how yours was getting along.

Mine just turned up :D

Associate
I can only watch various YouTube videos at 720p, yet my low res iPhone 7 does higher resolutions (1440p) on the same videos...

This may be a deal breaker for me since I got this as a consumption device.

Anyone else have this issue?

Some random odd videos will do higher res.

This one for example is max 720p yet 1080p on my iPhone

https://youtu.be/QAHlOJlQhsU

Soldato
Bundled AKG/'Tuned by AKG' headphones are distinctly average, not a patch on my Ultimate Ears super.fi5s so all this talk of $99 headphones is nonsense I think :p They sound like i'd expect any set of £30 in-ears to sound.

Will have a play with the actual phone in a bit :p

Associate
I can only watch various YouTube videos at 720p, yet my low res iPhone 7 does higher resolutions (1440p) on the same videos...

This may be a deal breaker for me since I got this as a consumption device.

Anyone else have this issue?

Some random odd videos will do higher res.

This one for example is max 720p yet 1080p on my iPhone

https://youtu.be/QAHlOJlQhsU

Just tried that video you link to on my S8 using the Youtube App, it allows me to set it to 1080p with no problems, also tried out some 1440p sample clips and they play no problem in the Youtube App at the higher rate. Hope that this helps.

Soldato
Bundled AKG/'Tuned by AKG' headphones are distinctly average, not a patch on my Ultimate Ears super.fi5s so all this talk of $99 headphones is nonsense I think :p They sound like i'd expect any set of £30 in-ears to sound.

Nop wonder Ultimate ears are awesome. I have a pair of those too. Cables replaced twice in 5 years but the earpieces still kicking out great sounds.

Soldato
Nop wonder Ultimate ears are awesome. I have a pair of those too. Cables replaced twice in 5 years but the earpieces still kicking out great sounds.
The UEs were only a £50 set when I got them though and that was ears ago - they created a fair expectation with this '$99 AKG' thing, they're just the same naff earphones you've been getting with phones for years as far as i'm concerned

Associate
I have the s8+ it's stunning and beautiful but I think I'm going to return it and stick to my jail broken iPhone plus. The feel and look of apps are much more polished imo. I.e Snapchat, whatsapp, insagram including the SMS. Camera is defo better on the Samsung. But I am still getting a bit of a lag on the s8+

But I can do so much with a jailbroken iPhone. Hopefully the note 8 will convince me to switch back to android.

Soldato

Didnt these cost like £100+ and that was what, 8yrs ago? With inflation and current exchange rate we're talking now £200 worth piece of kit vs £70rrp.

Not expecting wonders but they should, as advertised, be equivalent to what £80rrp earphones cost now. Gotta wait until proper reviews perhaps.

Associate
Yay it's arrived nice one Samsung! Fair play to Samsung they've packaged it well, the phone arrived in what can only be described as a shoe box, inside that was a cloth type bag, then a bubble wrapped paper around the phone box.

Soldato
Didnt these cost like £100+ and that was what, 8yrs ago? With inflation and current exchange rate we're talking now £200 worth piece of kit vs £70rrp.

Not expecting wonders but they should, as advertised, be equivalent to what £80rrp earphones cost now. Gotta wait until proper reviews perhaps.

I paid absolutely nowhere near £100+ for them

YOUR ORDER SUMMARY

Manufacturer : LOGITECH
Product : SuperFi 5
Quantity : 1
Price exc VAT : £30.00
Price inc VAT : £35.25

That was 2010.

If these 'AKG' are what £80 gets you these days, then i'm glad i'm not in the market for an £80 set of in-ears at the moment!

Soldato
Well, the rrp for them was around £100 - what hi-fi review from 2009 says they costed £110 at the time, so just comparing like for like - you got a great bargain which is great but you'll need to pay around £100 nowadays to get something equivalent unless you get another 40-70% sale discount. Regrettably the tech hasn't moved much in this sector - whatever was best in 2010 is still top 5 now (ie80, 800, shure, grados etc).

Associate
If anyone is interested. I have decided to place an order very late. Thursday afternoon(19/04), around 5pm. Ordered directly from Samsung.

Today 21/04 I have received the tracking code from UK Mail. Delivers tomorrow 22/04.

Quite impressed since I missed that early deal that you get your phone early.

Do we get free Samsung Gear VR in the UK?

Back
Top Bottom