What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Life - 8/10

Holy ****! It's been a while since a film has made me feel like that. So much tension throughout, it really is 'edge of your seat' type stuff. Everyone always talk about how exciting it would be to find another life form from a different planet, but this really highlights just how utterly disastrous it could be.

People will of course compare to Alien, but I'll just say I never quite 'got' Alien/s. They did nothing for me, even as a kid. I enjoyed the films and they looked great, but they certainly didn't have that terrifying feeling like this did.

Associate
Life - 8/10

Holy ****! It's been a while since a film has made me feel like that. So much tension throughout, it really is 'edge of your seat' type stuff. Everyone always talk about how exciting it would be to find another life form from a different planet, but this really highlights just how utterly disastrous it could be.

People will of course compare to Alien, but I'll just say I never quite 'got' Alien/s. They did nothing for me, even as a kid. I enjoyed the films and they looked great, but they certainly didn't have that terrifying feeling like this did.

I saw it the other day, easy 7/10. Really liked how it ended.

Just finished watching Pan's Labyrinth. 10/10. This is the second time i have seen it, the last time was several years ago. I thought it was a masterpiece then, and it remains so today.

Associate
Feel like I've kicked a right debate off here :D

It just screams more comedy to me rather than gritty action. Wasn't there a similar plot staring stone cold and Vinnie jones (lol).

Soldato
The Guardians (2017) 2/10
It's proper poo.
The subtitles it came with were atrocious too.
Gave it a 2 because I think they were trying really hard to do a Marvel-esque film but failed. So 2 for effort :D

Caporegime
Just finished watching Pan's Labyrinth. 10/10. This is the second time i have seen it, the last time was several years ago. I thought it was a masterpiece then, and it remains so today.

Oh, absolutely. Still one of my favourite films. The beautiful innocence of Ivana Baquero versus the ruthless insanity of Sergi López, what a stunning combination! :eek:

My wife and I wanted to adopt Ivana at the end! :p

Soldato
Life - 8/10

Saw this with the mrs a couple of weeks ago at the cinema. Thought it was a fairly decent alien ripoff as far as they go.

It really can't hold a candle to the original alien though which is an absolute masterpiece.

I'd say it was a solid 6.5 though.

Soldato
Dont say it Dont think it ;) 5/10

Disregarding the inanity of the plot...it was alright...Its basically a horror film for those who are too scared of proper horror films.

The Bye bye Man!!!!!!!!! oh noeesssss

Soldato
I found Sinister quite disturbing tbh. The music and sound effects they used seemed very "ritualistic" almost like the real victim/target was the people watching. The way the sound was used to do something (ie take them into the place or reality of the film) to those watching the "film". It would have been quite a shock if at the end of the film Baghul appeared and looks directly at the camera and says "im coming for you next [insert your name here]" Thats the feeling i got from the film. (i know he just does one of his weird closeups at the end and doesnt talk)

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
The Belko Experiment - 7/10 - was better than i expected. It is basically
Battle Royal set in the office.

It is pretty violent and some of the effects wasnt half bad. One of the negative things if i am being super critical, at the end of the day it is just a movie but no doubt this movie may influnce crazies out there to do something stupid.

Passengers, I really enjoyed the film tbh. 8/10

We watched it last night, personally I found it flawed in so many ways it ruined the overall experience. Only saving grace was Ms. Lawrence's jiggling. 2/10, and one of those is because boobies.

The space physics are beyond unbelievable, which normally I can overlook but they were so ridiculous I felt compelled to become a keyboard warrior. :D Survive the temperatures of venting fusion plasma, get ejected into space at silly speeds then throw a door and you're saved from falling into an engine.

Then when Larry F dies, he sits in the airlock awaiting his funeral. They vent the airlock, and he remains laid on the floor instead of being vented out into space.

Then the ending. Rushed, unsatisfying and stupid. Should have just put one of them back in stasis, transferred to a pod then the other kicked off process again and got one of the robots to move him into a pod. He was an engineer capable of saving a ship he'd never worked on and that's how they ended it.

Well, with a 3 second cameo and major credit for Andy Garcia. Which makes me think there's going to be a sequel. Without jiggling. Boo.

Caporegime
Zashchitniki.

The Russian film industry has progressed in leaps and bounds ever since Western scientists brought the secret of electricity to Moscow in 1968. Today, Russians enjoy movies that easily rival the best of Western cinema from 40 years ago.

The premise of Zashchitniki is familiar to anyone who's seen a superhero movie since 1952, so I won't repeat it here. Suffice to say, it follows the stock formula, as does the rest of the film.

Our four heroes are as distinctive as their unique abilities:

* Hayastan Earthquake
* Bear Person
* Gymnasti Boy
* Moskva Lady

Together they must unite against the evil Captain Electrode, whose wobbly rubber-and-wire exoskeleton allows him to control every electronic device in the known universe.

It has been said that the best part about Zashchitniki is the trailer, and frankly I'm inclined to agree. The movie bombed heavily in Russia, losing 90% of its box office revenue every weekend. Incredibly, Zashchitniki even failed to recoup its modest budget of $330 million rubles (US$5 million).

The Russians can make good movies when they try. The brilliant Night Watch and Day Watch (budget: $4.2 million each) are perfect examples. In the right hands, Zashchitniki could have met this higher standard. Unfortunately the film is plagued with shoddy scriptwriting, lazy editing, ludicrous plot holes, and cheap CGI.

I approached Zashchitniki in a generous mood, willing to cut it some slack on the basis of the small budget and low expectations. Part of me was hoping it might fall into the 'so bad it's good' category'—but alas, it turned out to be more along the lines of 'so bad, it's actually terrible.'

I rate Zashchitniki at 13.32 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a sadly predictable 4/10 on IMDB.

Soldato
We watched it last night, personally I found it flawed in so many ways it ruined the overall experience. Only saving grace was Ms. Lawrence's jiggling. 2/10, and one of those is because boobies.

The space physics are beyond unbelievable, which normally I can overlook but they were so ridiculous I felt compelled to become a keyboard warrior. :D Survive the temperatures of venting fusion plasma, get ejected into space at silly speeds then throw a door and you're saved from falling into an engine.

Isn't that just Newton's third law? It didn't necessarily stop him, but it decelerated him.

Then when Larry F dies, he sits in the airlock awaiting his funeral. They vent the airlock, and he remains laid on the floor instead of being vented out into space.

I think you're confusing explosive decompressions with a controlled airlock decompression. Same way ISS astronauts don't get thrown to the door when they decompress the airlock.

Then the ending. Rushed, unsatisfying and stupid. Should have just put one of them back in stasis, transferred to a pod then the other kicked off process again and got one of the robots to move him into a pod. He was an engineer capable of saving a ship he'd never worked on and that's how they ended it.

I thought it was explained that it required human intervention to activate the med bay pod - then how are you going to transfer someone out of that, into a stasis pod? It's the pod that keeps you in stasis, not just send you to sleep to be moved.

Well, with a 3 second cameo and major credit for Andy Garcia. Which makes me think there's going to be a sequel. Without jiggling. Boo.

Associate
Their Finest (2017) - 8/10

An ‘authentic’ and ‘optimistic’ film full of British charm and comedy.

Tonally it is all over the place but it has some astute observations about war time Britain and the ‘complications’ of the film making process.

Strong acting, great cast of characters and use of the settings, but the final act does go on a bit too long.

Soldato
Swiss Army Man - I laughed all the way through this absurd little film, it just worked for me. Daniel Radcliffe played a corpse pretty well, nice work by Paul Dano too. I can see that it wouldn't work for a lot of people. 5/5

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom