Spec me a Performance/Economical Estate

Associate
Hi All

Looking for a fine balance between performance and economy.
2010+
Budget around £13k
MPG - 40+ on long journeys, 35+ on my commute (15-20miles one way)
Sat Nav, Parking sensors a must
Boot above 450L

Looking at
Audi A4 Avant 1.8 TFSI S Line
BMW 3 Series Touring
Merc C Class
SEAT Leon FR Estate

Not interested in Fords or Diesel.

Anyone have opinions or experiences with the above?

Thanks in advance

D

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't imagine many petrol engines in these cars that would satisfy your mpg requirements.

This sort of thing screams 330d/335d to me. Having had a 335d touring and a 530d touring, they both easily had the performance and economy you are looking for.

Whether you will get a good one within you age requirement and budget is another story. You might not be too far off though.

I have also had 2 a4's of the b8 variety, and they are quite nice. But did prefer the e91 bmw's despite them looking blander.

My friend had a c class of this age. I don't really get mercs though. I don't like them really, never have.

Leon is a class below these cars no? More like rivals to golf, a3 etc. Skoda Octavia estate would be the equivalent here. You will get more car for your money down that route. But the Superb would be even bigger / better.

Soldato
Škoda?
I know they do an Octavia estate and, based on my old 2003 hatchback, I'd reckon newer models would tick all boxes.
My 1.9TDi hatch gets 37+mpg just on town journeys, with 58-74mpg on happy distance jaunts and that's without me even trying.
New ones have satnav and even my old one has parking sensors.
My boot is something like 520L, so an estate will be more.

It's probably somewhere between the SEAT and the Audi, but it's something to consider.
You might also find something likeable from Volvo...

Associate
OP
Škoda?
I know they do an Octavia estate and, based on my old 2003 hatchback, I'd reckon newer models would tick all boxes.
My 1.9TDi hatch gets 37+mpg just on town journeys, with 58-74mpg on happy distance jaunts and that's without me even trying.
New ones have satnav and even my old one has parking sensors.
My boot is something like 520L, so an estate will be more.

It's probably somewhere between the SEAT and the Audi, but it's something to consider.
You might also find something likeable from Volvo...

Volvo and Skoda Octavia are options. Ive heard good things about both brands. But id be wanting Petrol

Soldato
Performance AND economy? 40mpg will always be difficult in a performance car unless it's something small and light.

The cars your looking at are really heavy, so unless it's something with 300hp+ it will be slow. Might as well go full on economy and get extra luxuries.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Performance AND economy? 40mpg will always be difficult in a performance car unless it's something small and light.

The cars your looking at are really heavy, so unless it's something with 300hp+ it will be slow. Might as well go full on economy and get extra luxuries.
Suggestions with Luxury then and economy?

Soldato
A Lexus maybe? All the one made in the last few years are petrol hybrids and they are pretty comfortable, more so than Audis etc.

Soldato
Define luxury.
I happen to think the L&K trim on Škodas is pretty luxurious, especially for an estate which I assume will become a filthy dirty used and abused workhorse... It's not thousands of pounds worth of cream leather upholstry and super-fine wooden trim panels everywhere, that compels you to demand all passengers remove their shoes before entering your car... but neither is it the back seating of a tank, either.

Soldato

Wrong two. If you want economy, then ditch the petrol only stipulation. Luxury is usually reserved for larger cars. Large petrol cars are not efficient. If you want luxury and economy, then go for a diesel. The BMW 6 cylinder diesel (like in the 525d / 530d's linked above) are exceptional. They will give you the economy you want, and the luxury.

If you want performance and economy, you are looking for something no bigger than a Polo or Golf really, since both these are at odds with each other, and the only way to compromise between them is through weight. And this size car doesn't promote luxury.

Associate
W212 E Class?

I've got an E250 CDI saloon and it's certainly a great combination of economy and performance. That said it's hardly a driver's car.

Edit - missed the bit about no diesels!

Soldato
Wrong two. If you want economy, then ditch the petrol only stipulation. Luxury is usually reserved for larger cars. Large petrol cars are not efficient. If you want luxury and economy, then go for a diesel. The BMW 6 cylinder diesel (like in the 525d / 530d's linked above) are exceptional. They will give you the economy you want, and the luxury.

Well it depends on how one defines economy, or performance. The >2015 Superb's 220 2.0 TSI does 0-60 in about 6.5s (measured), has strong real world in-gear performance, and will easily return late 30s on a commute and mid 40s on the motorway without trying (i.e. at 70+ not 55mph). The problem the OP has is budget... An Octavia with a similar engine will likely be a decent compromise shout. I don't know what kind of economy a 3xxi would put out but I'd be surprised if it was worse than a Skoda's.

Soldato
Sure, but within the parameter of the set budget, economy, performance and luxury wont mix. That was my point. I get it that the new VAG 2.0T's are meant to be superb. There are posts all over the internet about how the Golf R can do stupid MPG considering it's power. But for the most part, these sorts of cars aint really luxury either. But then again, I wouldn't really class the A4 / C Class / 3 Series as luxurious motors either so...

Soldato
Same, I don't find any of the VAG cars particularly luxurious ride quality wise. Their damping and suspension is generally hard as nails.

I think the Golf R may turn off cylinders during normal driving, which is why it gets good mpg.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom