Western Digital My Book 3TB- what are the rps speeds?

Associate
Hey guys,

I lucked out recently and bought cheaply a Western Digital My Book 3TB external hard drive.
I was wondering about some things:

1. What is the disk inside in terms of speed? 7200 rps, 5400 rps or something else? I checked the official website ( I read the product overview and user manual) but the only thing I dug out was the disk model- WDBFJK0030HBK-EESN for the 3TB version. I checked the web for that model but couldn't find any mention about the speeds of the hard drive...only that it supports USB 3.0 and 2.0
2. Is there a test/ software that I can use which will tell me what RPS am I getting out of the disk?
3. If I decided to break the enclosure, get the disk out of it and then use it as a normal internal hard drive for my PC- would it work? I am not too fussed about the warranty, I just need to know if Western Digital prevents that kind of "initiative" somehow...
4. What is a good software to check a disk for possible errors ( bad sectors, etc.)?

Apologies for the many questions, just want to get it right.
Also- will post the same topic on another web-site. If I find any good answers I will report back here.

Many thanks.

Associate
I had a mybook live once

Was just a 5400rpm WD Green in there with a small circuit board plugged into the SATA/Power port

Pulled that out and stuck it in the PC, reformatted and was good to go. (You cant access the files without formatting, the drive is encrypted through the software/hardware)

Permabanned
check for a strip down of that case, there are some ext drive makes with nearly unopenable cases and non standard connectors apparently

Soldato
Yes a word of warning even if you don't enable a password the drive is still encrypted via the USB board. So don't have it as your single copy (which you shouldn't anyway) if you don't want to risk losing the data if the USB board fails.

You won't be able to access the data by plugging it in a sata port even if the drive is fine. Drive will still be useable after formatting.

Back
Top Bottom