Spec me a cycle computer

Soldato
With the following spec;
HRM
GPS (for Strava)
Cadence
<£200

The Garmin 520 seems to do the lot and gets good reviews but is £50 more than I was hoping to spend...
What can people personally recommend?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Associate
Am using the 735xt from Garmin. It has just been replaced by the more expensive 935 but I expect you might find decent deals on the 735xt second hand now as people start to upgrade. It's a wearable and works great as an every day watch. Battery life is brilliant too. And if you wish to track your running and swimming too its worth the extra outlay.

Soldato
Personally, as someone who uses a fenix3 to track my rides, I wouldn't recommend a wrist based unit for cycling use.

As for what I would recommend... it really is hard to look beyond the ELEMNT Bolt TBH.

Soldato
OP
Am using the 735xt from Garmin. It has just been replaced by the more expensive 935 but I expect you might find decent deals on the 735xt second hand now as people start to upgrade. It's a wearable and works great as an every day watch. Battery life is brilliant too. And if you wish to track your running and swimming too its worth the extra outlay.

Although the multi sport aspect is appealing I don't want a watch. I carry my phone with me whilst running and I swim just to get the job done, don't want to track that part :D

Elemnt Bolt is in your budget but good luck finding stock at the moment.

Wiggle are showing stock

Personally, as someone who uses a fenix3 to track my rides, I wouldn't recommend a wrist based unit for cycling use.

As for what I would recommend... it really is hard to look beyond the ELEMNT Bolt TBH.

Thanks, just googled them and they look promising :)

Second hand garmin 800?

Not considered 2nd hand tbh, do the batteries deteriorate like in mobiles? Anything to watch out for?

Associate
ps with regards to the watch type ones like the 735xt I do not wear mine on the bike but rather have it mounted using the optional Garmin bike mount. Works well. No need to carry your phone. All data uploads to Garmin Connect and Strava automatically over blue tooth when I get home. Just for clarification!

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys, after a fairly exhaustive google and a good bald patch inducing think I agree the Elemnt is the one to go for... I know I originally said I wanted sub £200 but I am happy to pay the extra £84.99 I think :D

Soldato
Don't forget 10% British Cycling discount at Chain Reaction Cycles, plus they usually have better Topcashback rates.;)

As a cheaper alternative, maybe check out the Polar M400 and H7 hrm bundle, Wiggle at least has this for £120.

Soldato
OP
Get the Elemnt Bolt, not the Elemnt.

Really? not worth the extra to get the Elemnt?

Don't forget 10% British Cycling discount at Chain Reaction Cycles, plus they usually have better Topcashback rates.;)

As a cheaper alternative, maybe check out the Polar M400 and H7 hrm bundle, Wiggle at least has this for £120.

I am not on Topcashback nor do I have any affiliation with British Cycling, CRC don't Bolt bundle either... Also I am against having a watch :D But thank you!

Man of Honour
You get an aero out front mount with the Bolt to save those precious wattzzz :p

Some people regard the Elemnt as a bit too big and clunky (personally I wouldn't care, much like I don't about the "aero" benefits of the Bolt if I'm honest). The one unarguable advantage the Elemnt has is that it can display two more data fields on the screen...which to be honest really doesn't matter. When my 810 broke I moved to the Bolt and despite having a million data fields previously I'm perfectly happy with "only" 9 on the Bolt. Also, the smaller screen really doesn't matter - the maps are so much clearer than my Garmin in the sunlight that I don't care about the loss of colour and (maybe?) smaller screen.

Anyhow, essentially the Bolt and the Elemnt are neck and neck. I'd say it makes sense to go for whichever is cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom