Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Will cancelling and set up as new customer with another adult in the household cause any problems? Can it happen the next day, or do we need to leave a gap?
This is what I wanted to do when they couldn't match the Mix TV package(we were on a monthly rolling contract), they said it will most likely not possible to do exactly the same day as their may be delays with delivery, eng visits ect.
I gave 30 days notice to leave and they called back 2 days later with a better deal(on a 12 months new contract though)

Associate
Thinking of signing up for VM in the new home I've moved in to, is there an online check for local utilization before I sign up?

Also, do all new customers get the SH2AC? Planning on the 200mb package

Go to the VM forums and search your postcode to see if there are any reports of over utilisation, VM don't post a list and will happily sell to new customers even when they know there is a problem.

You will probably get a SH3 by default, if you want a SH2AC you will need to tell them.

Soldato
Ok thank you - I plan on putting it in Modem mode and then hooking up my Asus, I am a frequent gamer (CSGO, Battlefield etc) - did the new firmware for the SH3 get pushed out yet to fix the latency/lag issues? I'm going to try get a SH2AC sent out instead of SH3 but suspect they wont do it before the install date.

Other than moaning to them for ages, is there a guaranteed way to downgrade to the SH2AC without paying for it?

Permabanned
Ok thank you - I plan on putting it in Modem mode and then hooking up my Asus, I am a frequent gamer (CSGO, Battlefield etc) - did the new firmware for the SH3 get pushed out yet to fix the latency/lag issues? I'm going to try get a SH2AC sent out instead of SH3 but suspect they wont do it before the install date.

Other than moaning to them for ages, is there a guaranteed way to downgrade to the SH2AC without paying for it?
You shouldn't have to wait ages any more. I posted earlier in the thread about my experience but basically get through to level 2 in Swansea and tell them that you game and use VOIP and would like a SH2AC until the SH3 latency issues are fixed. They are generally reticent to send them out but once they understand you know what you're talking about they normally send them out straight away. Mine came in 2 days. I still have my black SH3 for when the latency issues are fixed - I prefer the fewer flashing lights on the SH3.

Associate
Just do yourself a favour and check the utilisation in your area before you sign up to anything - when it's bad, it's REALLY bad.

Remember you have a coolong off period of 14 days to cancel without charge from the install date, also cable doesn't need a settling in period so test straight away in the evenings after 4pm and weekends then if you experience poor speed you can get out.

Associate
That's true, but ADSL up at the new place is only 4Mb and FTTC is only 35Mb so i'm kinda resting all my hopes on VM being okay up there as I've just ditched a VERY reliable and solid 70Mb PlusNet FTTC connection at my old place :rolleyes:

I'll be in a very similar situation within the next 6 months. Moving to a place where Virgin is the only real option (for a modern, high speed connection). Every other ISP is limited to approx 5MB connections as the actual infrastructure isn't there for them. It's in Gateshead. I'm hoping over subscription isn't an issue.... Will be giving up my very reliable, BT fibre connection in my current place.

Associate
I'm a little bit excited! Just seen roadworks with a sign on they are on behalf of VM.

Im a bit giddy at the thought of getting the 200/20 gamer bundle.

You might be able to get the 300/20 ?

I called VM earlier today in contract negotiations and they were as useless as ever, not interested in trying to keep a 10yr+ customer, I asked when I could get gamer or 300mb and was told no idea, I only really wanted the 20mb upload mainly.

Shame we can't jump on board. I would.

The suing culture is here and may be on a par with the USA soon, market size is a lot bigger over there though so easier to get many people on board, you never know though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I saw that as a false economy though, if I'm paying more then I want both more download AND upload. If it was 300/30 then yeah I'd probably go for that but for just download only it doesn't warrant it for me.

Yeah if you don't need the 300 it is, I class my family as heavy users and 200mb is enough, I am about to go down to 80 which won't be much difference looking at my usage, my highest bandwidth use is transferring files from a server on the OVH network and that gets throttled by VM sort of with the amount of usage it gets on their network.

Back
Top Bottom