Sensor cleaning kits

Caporegime
I wrap my swabs in a pec-pad which gets thrown out. Purchased a pack in 2006 and still have hundred of pec-pads left. Replaced the eclipse fluid a couple of time now.

There isn't much to be worried about, the sensor is really strong. the main issue is if tou have a camera with sensor based stabilization like Olympus/Pentax/Sony, then you probably don;t want to clean the sensor yourself but get an official repair agent if it needs doing.

Associate
I really need to do mine.
Already have the same kit as the Op is looking at.

I'm getting bored cloning out spots once I pass F4

I'll let you know how I get on.

Associate
I wrap my swabs in a pec-pad which gets thrown out. Purchased a pack in 2006 and still have hundred of pec-pads left. Replaced the eclipse fluid a couple of time now.

There isn't much to be worried about, the sensor is really strong. the main issue is if tou have a camera with sensor based stabilization like Olympus/Pentax/Sony, then you probably don;t want to clean the sensor yourself but get an official repair agent if it needs doing.

Do you find there's a benefit of wrapping swabs with pec pads or is it so you can reuse a swab?

Associate
I've been using this for the past few years without issues: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eyelead-SCK-1-Sensor-Cleaning-Olympus/dp/B0046VBEE0

Although my camera has built in sensor cleaning, over time it does tend to get a few hard to shift dust/oil spots on the sensor. Having limited success in the past with a swab, I gave the eyelead sticky stick a try. Took a few attempts to get the sensor completely clean the first time, but now I do a few dabs to cover the whole of the sensor, test photo to check the location and number of remaining spots. Try the buit in sensor cleaning to see if any remaining spots are moving, and if so repeat a few times until they are gone. If not, do a few more dabs in the area of the remaining spots and repeat (usually once) until the sensor is clean enough. I'm still on the original batch of sticky papers that came supplied with the kit, but given it has lasted 3 years (I typically clean both cameras twice a year) I've got my moneys worth compared to professional cleans.

Back
Top Bottom