'Band of Brothers' is just astonishing

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

This thread inspired me to watch it again. Don't think I've seen it for a good few years so a lot of it felt new.

The final monologue though. Reminds me of the time I asked my grandfather the same thing :(

Associate
Like others, this thread has made me watch this again, on Blu-Ray this time though.
It seems I know it all word for word but it does not detract from the quality of this series.
Who,also has spotted the real "Babe" Heffrons cameo role in part 4 "Replacements".

The Pacific seems to get slated a bit on here but I enjoyed it. Yes, bits were added for dramatic
effect like the romance in part 3 but if you read Bob Leckies book it was true, in part, just embellished a bit
for the series.
Sledges book is also worth reading before watching this,a young man who wanted nothing more than to do "his bit"
but found war wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Similar to Winters, in that after the war he just wanted to live life in peace
and never lift a gun in anger again.

Soldato
Finished it a week or two ago. Good show but not as 'astonishing' as I expected it to be. Definitely highly recommended and all that but doubt we'll be watching it again. Might dig in to The Pacific at some point.

Soldato
Finished it a week or two ago. Good show but not as 'astonishing' as I expected it to be. Definitely highly recommended and all that but doubt we'll be watching it again. Might dig in to The Pacific at some point.

The astonishing part is that it is almost entirely true to life what these guys went through was unbelievable, if it was a movie script or novel nobody would believe it.

Soldato
Like others, this thread has made me watch this again, on Blu-Ray this time though.
It seems I know it all word for word but it does not detract from the quality of this series.
Who,also has spotted the real "Babe" Heffrons cameo role in part 4 "Replacements".

The Pacific seems to get slated a bit on here but I enjoyed it. Yes, bits were added for dramatic
effect like the romance in part 3 but if you read Bob Leckies book it was true, in part, just embellished a bit
for the series.
Sledges book is also worth reading before watching this,a young man who wanted nothing more than to do "his bit"
but found war wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Similar to Winters, in that after the war he just wanted to live life in peace
and never lift a gun in anger again.

I wouldn't slate the pacific the problem is two fold first the source material is nothing like as strong due to the simple fact that the marines split the men up after basic training so the stories of the band of brothers from training to victory simply don't exist so have to be faked and secondly it is set in the pacific a theatre of war that doesn't have the same resonance in Britain as the war in Europe. Having read all the books it's based on and seen the series neither stand comparison to BoB.

Caporegime
Currently working my way through pacific and think it's terrible. Up to seven but to be honest if BoB didn't exist I would have bailed already. I have read a ton of stuff now on WW2 and the Pacific conflict is more interesting to me than Europe but I think they have so far failed to show anything of substance.

Soldato
It took me a few episode to get into the Pacific. There were some very good stand out moments during the episodes but it didn't flow like BoB. I had to watch it twice as I could not remember who was who in TP. I may give it another go. On a side note I think it took me a repeat viewing of BoB to get to know the characters. Once I knew who there were it all fell into place.

TP isn't as good as BoB but it is still good. Good production for a start. It just had that little something missing to make it even better. Shame really. Like I said, a repeat viewing may be in order.

Soldato
I've just started this for the first time whilst having it on the 'I'll watch it one day' list.

I'm only on episode 4 so far but my god it is amazing. I wish I had a good sound system to take advantage of this. It's been a long time since i've had a program that has had my sole attention during an episode. I don't even look at my phone.

Soldato
It is perhaps one of the most brilliant programs EVER.

Mostly because it is as close to the truth as they can get it.

When movies get the "Holywood" treatment, even when its based on a true story, you know that there is a lot of ******** floating about, but this, is something that these men went through for real, and then, they even kept with it to make sure that when the programs were being filmed, that they they kept as close to the facts as possible. This has simply not been done in any other program or movie to my knowledge. Even when somethign has been made, there has always been someone wh ohas said that never happened or this or that wasnt like that, but BoB is, as far as I know,100% accurate ( in as much as it can be ).

Man of Honour
I agree Fatrakoon, I think the scene which most brings that home is the one where Lt Spiers runs past the germans to deliver the message and then runs back again. Its unbelievable, its insane, its bravery of the absolute highest degree. It utterly smacks of hollywood BS....right up until you find out by reading reports from the soldiers there, that it actually happened, the lunatic really did that. Just goes to show that fact really can be more amazing than fiction.

Back
Top Bottom